- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
- MWDA Website, MWDA Homepage, WizKids Website,and WizKids Homepage redirect here.
When WizKids launched the MechWarrior: Dark Age (MWDA) Clix game in 2003, they also dedicated a subsection of their web presence to the game. LinkNet was an in-character subsection on the last incarnation of the now defunct real-world WizKids website. Following the discontinuation of the MWDA game in 2008, the website was taken off-line between 2009 and 2012.
In a broader sense, "LinkNet" is a summary reference among the community that also covers the preceding incarnations (or skins) of the MWDA subsection of the WizKids website.
The MWDA website underwent changes as the game's storyline progressed:
- June 2002 – Jan 2004
In-universe date: June 3132 – 9 March 3134
The site was styled as INN, a news site based on Towne that offered a primer on the new Republic of the Sphere and a Republic Atlas, as well as Touring the Stars articles and ComStar newsfeeds. After the Blackout (on 7 August 3132) it only provided local news.
- 2006 and onwards
In-universe date: Jan – Aug 3136
The in-universe LinkNet was a network formed by a handful of still-functional HPGs in the wake of the Blackout, to keep each other informed and maintain HPG communication as much as circumstances allowed.
Like MWDA in general, the MWDA website was considered part of the greater BattleTech universe and its in-character content is considered fully canonical, albeit subject to the usual possibilities for in-character resources to be in error due to oversight, bias, or outright misinformation.
Since much of the content published via the MWDA website was not published elsewhere, steps were undertaken to preserve it. Catalyst Game Labs and volunteers compiled some of the information into a number of files that CGL subsequently offered for free download via their website; these files are copyrighted to Topps with a 2012 timestamp:
- Touring the Stars - An in-universe look at the major factions, their histories and their status quo as of 3130.
(not to be confused with the "Touring the Stars with Bertram Habeas" series of articles contained within the 3132-3134 INN file, nor the Touring the Stars series of PDF microproducts detailing individual star systems)
- Republic of the Sphere - A brief primer for the government and history of the premier new faction introduced in MWDA, the Republic of the Sphere. Also includes short biographies of the prominent personalities of the early Dark Age era.
- Republic Worlds - A gazeteer of the worlds that compose the Republic. (Note: Not all worlds are fully described.)
- Collections of in-universe news articles and personal journals that paint a vivid picture of life in the mid-32nd century from just before the HPG blackout into the years of Fortress Republic.
- 3132-3134 INN - A collection of news articles fleshing out the universe and advancing the timeline
- 3135 PDA Journals - Diary-style snippets of information, fleshing out the universe and advancing the timeline
- 3136 LinkNet - Transcripts from the actual in-universe "LinkNet", a group of still-functional HPGs after the 3132 Blackout, fleshing out the universe and advancing the timeline
- 3136 Levin's List - Wanted ads and snippets, fleshing out the universe and advancing the timeline
There was additional content that (so far) was not made available for download again, including several short stories:
- A Shot at Glory, by Adam Sherwood
- Angry Voices in the Dark, by Loren L. Coleman (since available as EPUB for sale)
- Field to Field, by Jean Rabe
- Loyalty, by Jason Schmetzer
- The Inheritance of Duty, by Michael A. Stackpole
- The Proof Is in the Pudding, by Adam Sherwood
- Tides of Change, by Kevin Killiany
- Download link for LinkNet content from the official BattleTech website (plus MWDA Dossiers and Pilot Cards and MWDA Sneak Peeks)
- MWDA teaser site, as of 13 February 2002 (via Wayback Machine)
- MWDA website, as of 2 August 2002 (via Wayback Machine)
- MWDA website, as of 29 May 2005 (via Wayback Machine) - with PDA articles
- MWDA website, as of 31 August 2006 (via Wayback Machine) - with LinkNet link