M-5 "Caspar" Capital Drone
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Sail Diameter||1,100 meters|
|KF Drive Integrity||15|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||0|
|Heat Sinks||1,250 (Double Heat Sinks)|
Considered the pinnacle of the SDS network, the M-5 drones were named after an ancient Terran commander and would go on to become the thing of legends after the Star League fell and is still talked about in revered tones to this day.
The Caspar was the primary capital-class SDS drone. The M-5 was based upon the Lola block II hull, which was heavily modifying to make it a nightmare for any opponent. The design of the M-5 allowed it to nearly mount the firepower of a battleship-class ship while maintaining the thrust of a destroyer-class ship. Most worlds of the Hegemony were protected by at least a handful of M-5 drones while key worlds had multiple squadrons. Terra itself was defended by two hundred and fifty of these drones and if not for Kerensky's technicians devising a jamming system against them, the Inner Sphere today might still have the Amaris Empire sitting at it's center.
Weapons and Equipment
The Caspar is armed with 4 Class-55 Naval Lasers, 2 Heavy NPPC's and 1 Killer Whale (20 missiles), giving it plenty of long range firepower and helped to make its slashing attacks so devastating. Two Class-55 Naval Lasers, Three NAC/20's (300 rounds) and one AR-10 Launcher( 10KW, 20B missiles), mounted in the front quarters facing to give the maximum firing arc, can punch holes in just about every vessel of the day. The broadsides are where the real firepower lies, with 1 Class-55 Naval Laser, 4 Class-25 Naval Autocannons (200 rounds each pairing, split into groups of two to help concentrate firepower against enemies) and 2 AR-10 Launchers (20KW, 20B missiles) which allowed the Caspar to dive into enemy formations and rip them to shreds. The rear quarters mount 2 Class-55 Naval lasers and 3 Class-20 Naval Autocannons (330 rounds) and the aft weapons include 4 Class-55 Naval Lasers and 2 Barracuda Launchers (40 missiles) to round out its formidable weaponry.  Considered the perfect WarShip, its only flaw lay in the self-destruct system, built into the engine compartment. A lucky hit to the aft could trigger the system and destroy the WarShip drone.
- Bay 1: Cargo (1,840.5 tons) - 1 Door
The Caspar required no crew as it was completely autonomous. It was equipped with a SDS Self-Destruct System and SDS Drone Control System (Gunnery 3, Piloting 4). Automated defenses provide 110 Marine Points to fend off boarding actions. 
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, pp. 168 & 169 M-5 “CASPAR” CAPITAL DRONE - BV & Introduction Date.
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 168 M-5 "Caspar" Capital Drone - Background.
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, pp. 168 & 169 M-5 "Caspar" Capital Drone - Stats and capacities.
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, pp. 168 & 169 M-5 "Caspar" Capital Drone - Weapons.
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, pp. 168 & 169 M-5 "Caspar" Capital Drone - Other abilities and equipment.