- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Why You Should Actually Trust BattleTech’s Mysteriously Short-Ranged Autocannons
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Coventry Metal Works|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere IndustrialMech|
Simply called the MiningMech, the MM-1 is a standard humanoid IndustrialMech designed for asteroid mining.
Weapons and Equipment
The MiningMech is equipped with a rock cutter assembly in the right arm resembling a sharply angled "T", a bulbous triple drill in the left arm and a trio of head- and chest-mounted mining lasers which are too weak to be considered weapons. A built-in analysis system (called "Assay") determines the vapor of the medium being worked on and gives a warning if the drilling lasers encounter ice (which might cause a dangerous steam eruption in zero-g environments).
The 'Mech is armored to protect it against meteor strikes and debris. For security reasons, its surface is typically polished silvery metal to achieve improved visibility on sensors. It also sports zenith and nadir camera displays for the views directly above and below the 'Mech for zero-g operations.
Using the rock cutter as a spike to brace against torque while drilling in zero-g was reported as "the number one cause of downtime for the MiningMechs", as this was a popular maneuver yet the rock cutter assembly was not designed to withstand such stress.
- MM-1S MiningMech
- The MM-1S variant replaces the treads on the MM-1 with an anchor system, with a sensor system in the foot pads determining whether to use electromagnets, grapples or both to hold the 'Mech firmly to any surface. The feet are visibly outsized.
The mass of 35 tons is deduced from conjectural information from the story Pirates of Penance:
- When it first appears in the story, it is thought to mass 35 to 40 tons (p. 7);
- A (70-ton) Grasshopper is described as having "about twice the size" of the MiningMech (p. 18);
- The MiningMech is later referred to as "an extra thirty tons of mass" (p. 69), however at that time it has already suffered heavy damage, including the loss the rock cutter assembly and amputation of the entire right arm.