Mad Cat III
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Mad Cat III|
|Manufacturer||Manufacturing Plant DSF-IT1|
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||DSAM Endo-6 Composite|
|Armor||Forging Zk15 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Comset 1|
|Targeting Tracking System||J-Track 52 w/Artemis V|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
With the success of the Mad Cat Mk II design Clan Diamond Shark developed the Mad Cat III as a medium 'Mech to accompany the heavy Mad Cat and assault Mad Cat II. Intended for sale to both Inner Sphere and Clan customers, it has been shunned by the Clans save for the Nova Cats and Exiled Wolves as "...an outrage against everything Nicholas Kerensky stood for and taught us." However, it has proven popular with the Successor States and the Republic of the Sphere.
With its top speed of 97 km/h, the Mad Cat III can quickly close with enemies to bring its short-range armament to bear. Eight and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor offer adequate protection, though with only ten Double Heat Sinks the design can be easily overheated. The 'Mech makes use of weight-saving technologies in the form of an XL Engine and an Endo-Composite structure.
Weapons and Equipment
Armed with twin LRM-20's equipped with Artemis V, six ER Micro Lasers, and a pair of ER Medium Lasers in each arm, the Mad Cat III can quickly inflict a lot of damage on its opponent. Unlike the Mad Cat III-X that apparently inspired it, this version uses standard Ferro-Fibrous armor for protection, but retains the Endo-Composite skeleton. It has a top speed of 96 km/h.
- Mad Cat III-X
- This version was developed by Clan Diamond Shark for sale to the Inner Sphere in 3076. It uses an experimental Endo-Composite skeleton for weight savings while leaving enough room for weapons. Protected by ten tons of Ferro-Lamellor armor, the Mad Cat III-X carries an ER Medium Laser and ER Small Laser in each arm, while each side torso carries an Artemis V FCS-equipped LRM-20 and a pair of ER Micro Lasers. BV (2.0) = 2,232
- Mad Cat III 4
- This variant uses an Endo Steel internal structure. its weapons consist of a pair of LRM-20s for use at long range, though each launcher only has enough ammunition for six shots. When it closes, it can use an all-energy configuration of two ER Medium Lasers, two ER Small Lasers, and four ER Micro Lasers. Sixteen double heat sinks allow this 'Mech to fire all weapons and not worry about heat so long as it sticks to its cruising speed. An anti-missile system increases its protection. BV (1.0)= 1,913 BV (2.0) = 2,061
- Mad Cat III 5
- This variant removes all of the lasers. The tonnage that is freed up is used to add a pair of Heavy Medium Lasers, enough jump jets to vault the 'Mech up to 150 meters, and maxes out the armor. Heat is no longer a concern, though the limited ammunition of the missile launchers is more of a liability. BV (1.0) = 2,081 BV (2.0) = 2,053
- Mad Cat Eve
- Used by Republic of the Sphere Knight Eve Kincaid during the invasion of Liao in 3134, this Mad Cat III was equipped with an Extended-range PPC and two ER Medium Lasers controlled by a Targeting Computer. The Missile Launchers were downgraded to LRM-10 racks, but augmented with Artemis IV FCS. BV (2.0) = 2,393
Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) - The Timber Wolf was used as the inspiration for the Mad Cat III.
Mad Cat Mk II - Clan Diamond Shark tried to use the success of the Mad Cat Mk II to kick-start the design of this Clan medium mech.
The Mad Cat III-X variant has the following Design Quirks:
- Difficult to Maintain
- MUL online date for the Mad Cat III
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, pp. 148-149, "Mad Cat III Profile"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Clans, p. 5
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 127
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 60
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 128
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 61
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 129
- Dark Age Turning Points: Liao, p. 26
- Ghost War, pp. 279-292