Mad Cat Mk IV
|Mad Cat Mk IV|
|Manufacturer||Manufacturing Plant SFF-TU1|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Type W4 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Composite Alpha-V1 Ferro-Lamellor|
|Engine||Model 49b XXL Engine|
|Communications System||Khan Series (Type 6c)|
|Targeting Tracking System||Series XIV OPT|
Renewing the Mad Cat legend, the Mk IV used some of the most powerful configurations of its grand brother, while also incorporating easier to find and replace components. Clan Sea Fox expected to experience the same success with this model as it had with previous ones. The development of the Mad Cat Mk IV had its origins in an illicit collaboration between the Clan Jade Falcon and Spina Khanate's Beta Aimag, led by ovKhan Sha Clarke. When this arrangement came to light—and was repudiated by Clan Sea Fox as a whole—all connection with the Falcons was severed (though the Falcons did manage to retain an unspecified number of non-Omni prototypes). OvKhan Petr Kalasa of Spina's Delta Aimag was granted the right to pursue development of the OmniMech, sold as the Mad Cat Mk IV to the Inner Sphere and as the Savage Wolf to the Clans.
Weapons and Equipment
This 'Mech used the same weapons loadout previously seen on the Timber Wolf's alternate configuration D: twin ER PPCs provide a strong energy punch at long range, while four Streak SRM-6 deal a similarly powerful short range punch. Just as with that configuration, two Streak SRM-6 were mounted facing to the rear, providing the design with a 360° fire arc.
Configurations and Variants
- Alt. Config. B
- A radical departure from the original Mad Cat Mk IV, the right arm carries a massive Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle 30 which spills into the right torso, giving the 'Mech its main punch at all ranges. The remaining pod space is spent on an ATM 9 in the left torso and an Improved Heavy Large Laser in its left arm. This configuration, to mount such massive equipment, uses two fewer Double Heat Sinks compared to the Prime. BV = 2,606 
- Alt. Config. C
- This configuration mirrors the classic Timber Wolf Prime, though it sacrifices two Double Heat Sinks to mount its weaponry. It downgrades the LRM-20s to LRM-15 launchers, using the weight savings onArtemis V systems. The remaining change replaces the Timber Wolf Prime's two Machine Guns for an additional Medium Pulse Laser. BV = 2,796
- Alt. Config. PR
- This chassis, along with the PR2, used an XL engine instead of the production model's XXL. Ferro-Fibrous armor is used instead of Ferro-Lamellor armor, and it also uses one fewer Double Heat Sinks, carrying an ER Small Laser in the left torso instead. The PR and PR2 were presumably prototypes taken and used by Clan Jade Falcons. BV = 2,702
- Alaric Wolf - He piloted "an ER large laser configuration of the Mad Cat Mk IV with deadly efficiency. An accomplished strategist and tactician, Alaric is a decisive and inspiring leader on the battlefield, held in almost mythic regard by Clan Wolf warriors. His example has led many to seek out the Mad Cat Mk IV, perhaps bringing the venerable Timber Wolf full circle by making it once again a favorite among the Wolves." This was most likely the Alt. Config. A.
Mad Cat Mk IV MWDA Clix miniature
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, pp. 42-43, "Mad Cat Mk IV"
- Online date for the Mad Cat Mk IV
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 52
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 100, "Mad Cat IV A"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 53
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 101, "Mad Cat IV B"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 54
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 102, "Mad Cat IV C"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 55
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 103, "Mad Cat IV PR"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 56
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 104, "Mad Cat IV PR2"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 57
- Legends, p. 141
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 42, "Notable Units"