|Mission||Infantry Support Vehicle, Urban Combat Vehicle|
|Armor||Killosh Xtra-Weave Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Magna 350 fusion engine|
|Communications System||Hesperus 5GT|
|Targeting Tracking System||Lynx RM|
|Heat Sinks||10 single|
The Magi was created by Killosh Industries in response to the SLDF's needs for a better infantry support vehicle to handle the increasing unrest in the Periphery territories.
The Magi's creation was temporarily shadowed by a scandal which involved an officer in Quartermaster Command, General Aaron Clavy, and Killosh's CEO, Tempest Halloran. However, an 18-month investigation eventually found no wrongdoing, and the vehicle's performance put all doubts about its abilities aside. The vehicle entered production in 2727, but sales of the Magi faltered prior to the fall of the Star League, resulting in the manufacturer entering into bankruptcy.
The vehicle was assigned to the SLDF Mechanized Infantry Divisions serving in the Periphery, where its heavy armor and good performance proved satisfactory. However, it did not fare as well during General Kerensky's war to liberate the Terran Hegemony from Stefan Amaris. Though the Magi mounted nine and a half tons of ferro-fibrous armor, abrupt maneuvers could cause hairline cracks between the plates.
The vehicle faded from use and memory during the Succession Wars era. It later found service again in the thirty-first century with ComStar's Com Guards in the fighting on Tukayyid and was highly successful in the Guards' combined arms doctrine. After the assassination of Primus Myndo Waterly and the schism, many of the vehicles found their way into the hands of the Word of Blake. They were later put into service for the Protectorate Militia's combined arms regiments and were updated to help with the Militia's urban policing on many of the Protectorate's worlds.
Weapons and Equipment
The Magi is armed with three Randall Hellbitch medium lasers; one mounted in front and one on each side. The Magi's lack of a turret gives the vehicle an unusual profile, and means it cannot concentrate its firepower; however, advanced targeting computers mean it can engage three separate opponents at once. The vehicle's anti-infantry weapons are a pair of Machine Guns mounted in the front of the tank, with its 2 tons of machine gun ammunition protected by CASE.
- This is a field modification of the original Magi vehicle which was in service for the Word of Blake. The vehicle's engine is swapped out for a light version and, while its laser weaponry remains the same, its front-mounted machine guns have increased to four and have been bundled into a machine gun array. The ammunition was also increased to three tons. The most significant modification includes the installation of a six-ton infantry bay in the rear of the vehicle. The Magi's targeting and spotting abilities were enhanced, and to allow overall targeting for Level II formations, a C3i computer was installed. BV (2.0) = 831
- In German products, the unit's proper name was altered to Melchior, one of the three Biblical Magi.
Original Magi from TRO:2750
Upgraded Magi from TRO:3050 Upgrade
A Magi in combat from CCG
- ↑ MUL online date for the Magi
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 106
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 174–175: "Magi Vehicle Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 202
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 110–111: "Magi Vehicle Profile"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 214–215: "Magi Vehicle Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 203