- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3025)|
|Parent Formation||Northwind Highlanders|
Age of War
The unit was raised from St. Ives Militia forces and volunteer reservists. They were known for their lack of discipline, hence their unit's nickname. Under the orders of then-Chancellor Kurnath Liao, the unit first saw action in operations against the Free Worlds League in the territory of the Duchy of Andurien in 2369. The unit suffered numerous defeats on Berenson in 2371 and later on Lopez in 2373. The unit was recalled to Sian, where they underwent a refit and extensive training.
In 2425, a lieutenant from the 2nd Battalion assassinated then-Chancellor Arden Baxter. The unit as a whole was not disbanded or otherwise severely punished for the incident, but was sent to the Confederation's rimward border to defend against pirate raids until 2760.
Star League Era & the Succession Wars
The unit was recalled from the Periphery border by Chancellor Barbara Liao, when she ordered the unit to rejoin with the rest of the Northwind Highlanders. The combined mercenary force assaulted the Davion world of Demeter in 2761. Those actions on Demeter signaled the unit's rehabilitation.
While on Lee in 2792, the unit's 2nd & 3rd Battalion's suffered significant losses among their light BattleMechs while in operations against a Davion mercenary unit, Cochraine's Greencoats. The losses destroyed the 'Bad Boys' confidence in their light 'Mechs, and they subsequently traded all their remaining lights to other regiments in exchange for heavier designs.
Marion's Highlanders joined with their sister unit McCormack's Fusiliers to successfully defended the world of Almach from elements of the Deneb Light Cavalry in 2834. The "Bad Boys" stood their ground, although losing several lances in their resistance against the Davion force.
A strong streak of individualism had always been a hallmark of Marion's Highlanders, causing frequent friction with the CCAF. In 2899, this individualistic streak caused the unit to be ordered disbanded after they refused to undertake an ordered raid on the Marik world of Oriente. The unit's disbandment was rescinded eventually, and they were permitted to reform in 2902 after increased Marik incursions into the Confederation. The newly reformed unit had been purged of its maverick behavior, and were more amenable to taking CCAF orders.
The Highlanders fought three separate engagements with Vintain's Vigilantes, a mercenary formation in Marik employ, in 2920. The battles were fought to gain possession of a recently-discovered cache of DropShips on Buenos Aires. The two forces fought on the northern continent and were evenly matched. However, due to the efforts of Marion's third Battalion, the Highlanders managed to place the Vigilantes in a trap. Impressed by the Vigilantes' performance, the "Bad Boys" offered the survivors employment in the Highlanders on the spot. Upon the offer being declined, the Highlanders executed all of the surrendered Vigilantes.
The unit has been stationed along the Tikonov Commonality's Davion borders since 2950, where it has been positioned to intercept incoming AFFS raids. It has further been reclaiming the maverick, individualist character it displayed prior to its disbanding, by conducting unauthorized raids into Federated Suns space. This cachet has attracted many volunteers to the unit.
Third Succession War
In 3006 the Highlanders were assigned to Halloran V. From there, along with the Blackwind Lancers, they raided the Federated Suns worlds of Demeter, Almach, and Chesterton. Wolf's Dragoons sent their Beta, Gamma, and Delta Regiments to the world, supported by Zeta Battalion. After the Liao raiders returned, the Dragoons hit them. Delta Regiment pinned the Lancers in place, while the other Dragoon units faced the Highlanders. The Highlanders were able to hold their position against determined attacks by Beta and Gamma, and even repelled several assaults by Zeta. They were in position to hold the Dragoons at bay indefinitely, but the Dragoons tricked the Lancers into retreating. The Lancers appeared in the Highlanders' rear area, causing confusion and eventually the Highlanders collapsed. The Dragoons conquered Halloran V.
Fourth Succession War
In the 4th Succession War the unit suffered moderate casualties in the 2-month-long failed defense of Ningpo by the Third Davion Guards RCT before a truce between both units was negotiated and on the 15th December 3028 Marion's Highlanders like the other Highlander regiments were allowed to lift off world to reach their new home Northwind.
A planet topped by a plaid tam-o'-shanter
|Commanding Officers of the Marion's Highlanders|
|Colonel||Alastair Fonn Marion||3025 - 3028|
Raiding force, flanking actions.
2786 - 2821
Marion's Highlanders (Regiment/Regular/Questionable)
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Lee. In 2821 the command was reduced to 31 percent of its strength and was deployed on Yunnah. 
Marion's Highlanders (Regiment/Regular/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Yunnah with an operational readiness of 80 percent. 
Marion's Highlanders (Regiment/Regular/0) 
- Note: At this point in time the heavy-weight unit was stationed on Asuncion with an operational readiness of 47 percent. 
- CO: Colonel Alastair Fonn Marion
- 1st Battalion (Marion's Roughnecks): Major William MacCleod
- 2nd Battalion (Marion's Rangers): Major Crystal King
- 3rd Battalion (Marion's Jaegers): Major Tomas Zurn
In 3025, 1st and 2nd Battalions were rated as Veterans, while the 3rd was rated as Regular troops.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation) p. 79, "Marion's Highlanders Profile"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 33, "One Step Back"
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 7
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 8
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 269 - "Tsen Shang comments that only Colonel Pavel Ridzik kept the McCormack's Fusiliers from avenging the destruction of Marion's Highlanders. The Third Davion Guards were named as unit that defeated them. But that was maybe a misinformation as Marion's Highlanders clearly survived the war".
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation) p. 105, "Deployment Table"
- Highlander Gambit, Prologue
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 136
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 96
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p.105