Mars (Combat Vehicle)
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Mars Assault Vehicle|
|Armor||Compound Zeta Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Q2 Block 9|
|Targeting Tracking System||Series XXXII Multitrack IWS w/Artemis IV FCS|
The Mars Assault Vehicle is one of the premier combat vehicles that the Clans field. It was designed as part of the pro-vehicle initiative from ilKhan Jerome Winson in the 2840s. A massive tank, the Mars is named after the Roman god of war. The slow vehicle can only muster a top speed of 32 km/h, so it has eleven and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor to protect it. Also protecting the Mars is an ECM Suite that impacts enemy electronics within range.
Weapons and Equipment
With over half its mass dedicated to weaponry, the Mars is capable of swiftly dispatching enemy units. Its slow speed necessitates the use of long-range weapons. As such, it carries a CRG Gauss Rifle and Series 7N ER Large Laser to snipe with. Both of these weapons are mounted in the tank's turret, giving them the maximum possible field of fire. A Type KOV LB-X Autocannon/10 gives it additional power, as well as the ability to cripple enemies with its cluster munitions, especially VTOLs. Three LRM-15s, each of which is slaved to an Artemis IV Fire Control System, add even more damage potential at range, though a ton of ammunition for each limits the amount of times they can be utilized. Defensively, each side is protected by a Pattern J6c Streak SRM-6, and two Series IX Machine Guns are in the turret to cut down unarmored infantry.
- ATM - This variant keeps the Gauss Rifle and machine guns, but removes the rest of the weaponry. The LRM launchers are replaced with three ATM 9s. Nine tons of ammunition keep them in good supply at all ranges. The ER Large Laser is swapped out for a Heavy Large Laser that is more damaging at the expense of range and accuracy. The Streak missile launchers are downgraded to Streak SRM-4s. BV (1.0) = 1,489, BV (2.0) = 1,948
- HAG - This is a Jihad era variant whose firepower is centered around the new Hyperassault Gauss Rifle technology. The vehicle retains the XL variant's engine, but is still as slow as the original - however, this is made up for by this variant being the most armored version of the Mars. The vehicle's two Streak SRM 6s are dropped completely in order to make room for the new Class 30 Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle and its 12 rounds of ammunition, and the original model's Gauss Rifle & ER Larger Laser are retained. The machine guns are replaced with a pair of AP Gauss Rifles with 40 rounds of ammunition. As with all versions of the tank, the ECM Suite is left in place. BV (2.0) = 2,545
- XL - Showing that Clan Hell's Horses spares no expense for its front-line conventional forces, the Mars XL exchanges the fusion engine for an extralight. Removing the machine guns and half-ton of armor allows an increase in the speed to 54 km/h. BV (1.0) = 2,029, BV (2.0) = 2,520
Original Mars from TRO:3060
- MUL online date for the Mars (Combat Vehicle)
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 98
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 68-69, "Mars Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 99
- Record Sheets 3067, p. 22
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 100 - HAG version of the Mars only found in the RS:3060u.
- Combat Operations, p. 110
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 101