Minette Operational Area
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- MechCombat from Ralph H. Reed
- Catalyst, Coronavirus, And Clan Invasions - Interview With BattleTech Art Director Brent Evans
- Read more →
History & Description
The Minette Operational Area - also referred to as the Crucis March Edgeward Beta Combat Theater - was a regional command within the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. One of the subdivisions of the Crucis March, the Minette Operational Area was a completely military administration, with no civilian governing responsibilities, and was traditionally commanded by a Field Marshal. As an Operational Area the Minette OA had command authority over a number of smaller regional commands commonly known as Polymorphous Defense Zones or Combat Regions, although during the era of the Federated Commonwealth the PDZs were simply known as Commands.
At the end of the Age of War in 2571 the Minette OA encompassed four PDZs. Between the establishment of the five Marches by First Prince Simon Davion in March 2418 and the restructuring of the Marches in the aftermath of the Davion Civil War by First Prince Alexander Davion a significant proportion of the region encompassed by the Star League era Minette OA had likely formed a part of the Outer March.
The size and scope of the Minette OA remained largely stable during the Succession Wars although the number of inhabited systems declined, in common with other regions of the Federated Suns. The most significant change in the borders of the Minette OA came in the aftermath of the Jihad; during the Jihad, a significant number of worlds within the Broken Wheel PDZ had broken away from the Federated Suns, forming a new nation - the Filtvelt Coalition. One of the responses to this was Princess-Regent Yvonne Steiner-Davion establishing a new March, the Periphery March; creating the Anjin Muerto Operational Area as a part of the new Periphery March, the former Anjin Muerto PDZ and the remains of the Broken Wheel PDZ - now redesignated the Hortense PDZ - were incorporated into the new March, leaving the Minette OA responsible for just two PDZs.
During the invasion of the Federated Suns by the Draconis Combine in the mid-Thirty-second Century the Minette OA found itself on the front lines, as the invasion path known as the Dragon's Tongue burst through the Draconis March to swiftly annex more than half of the Tsamma PDZ within the OA, with the remaining portion being rapidly reorganised as the Ulysses PDZ.
In 3054 the Commanding Officer of the Minette OA was Marshal Jonathan Steiner-Sortek, with Hauptmann General Helen Halbrigston serving as his second in command. In 3067 the Commanding Officer of the Markesan OA was Field Marshal Alexander Fielding, with Marshal B. H. Kingsley Sharpe acting as his aide. In 3145 the Commanding Officer was Bonnie Colon, with Marshal Alvin Fisher serving as aide.
The following sub-regions have all been a part of the Minette OA at some point during their history:
- Anjin Muerto Combat Region
- Broken Wheel Combat Region
- Point Barrow Combat Region
- Tsamma Combat Region
- Ulysses Combat Region
Systems of Note
- Anjin Muerto (Anjin Muerto CR)
- Broken Wheel (Broken Wheel CR)
- Point Barrow (Point Barrow CR)
- Tsamma (Tsamma CR)
- Ulysses (Ulysses CR)
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 17, "Combat Theater"
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 17, "Polymorphous Defense Zone/Combat Region"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 125, "Combat Theater/Operation Area"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 125, "Polymorphous Defense Zone/Combat Region"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 27, "Timeline: Early Years and the Age of War"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 37, "Timeline: Revolution and Civil War"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succession War - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succession War - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succession War - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War - "
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 139-140, "Edgeward Beta Combat Theater (Minette Operational Area)"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 52-53, "Camelot Summit"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. Vii, "Inner Sphere - "
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 71, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 92, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Objective Raids, p. 16, "Edgeward Beta Combat Theater (Minette Operations Area)"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 138, "'Mech Unit Deployment Table"