|Morgan Finn Kell|
|Title(s)|| Grand Duke of Arc-Royal|
Baron von Arc-Royal
Member of the Order of the Tamar Tigers
|Parents||Margaret Maybelle Kell (mother)|
|Children|| Megan Kell (illegitimate)|
Early military service
In 3004, Morgan, Katrina Steiner, and his cousin (future husband of Katrina) Arthur Luvon were attacked by LIC and Loki on Poulsbo. Then-Archon Alessandro Steiner had sent forces to assassinate Katrina due to her opposition to his Operation Concentrated Weakness. Members of the loyal opposition force, Heimdall, saved them and allowed them to flee to the Periphery. This was made famous as they took on the personae of the Red Corsair and her henchmen. Acting as undisclosed pirates through the Periphery, they re-entered the Inner Sphere through the Free Worlds League's border. Leading to Katrina's return to Tharkad and helping her to "retire" Alessandro. During this time Morgan met a woman named "Tempest", who is believed to be his first love.
The Kell Hounds
The Kell Hounds were born even before Morgan and Patrick had thoughts of running their own mercenary command. Arthur Luvon, future husband of Lyran Archon Katrina Steiner and Morgan and Patrick's cousin, dubbed the two brothers the Kell Hounds after witnessing them as young boys running around and terrorizing a neighbor's flock of sheep. Arthur drew up the Kell Hounds' crest and predicted that the two would grow up to become great MechWarriors. When Arthur died, Morgan and Patrick used the money left to them to form the Kell Hounds mercenary unit, which they created in 3010. Though initially mocked as rich boys playing mercenary, the two made quite the impression with their surprisingly advanced grasp of strategy and tactics, as well as a top-notch technical support staff.
After that incident, Morgan reduced the Kell Hounds to a single battalion and went to a MechWarrior monastery, the St. Marinus House on the planet Zaniah. Eleven years later, following the death of Patrick Kell at the hands of Yorinaga Kurita, he re-formed the Kell Hounds into a full regiment to defeat Kurita. He traveled to Tharkad at New Year's Eve of 3027 to ask Archon Katrina Steiner to release the unit's contract so he could pursue Yorinaga. He was asked by Melissa Steiner to give her away in place of her father. As his unit reformed and trained he and Captain Daniel Allard traveled to Terra for his cousin's wedding in August 3028. In the course of the events of the wedding, he briefly allied with Wolf's Dragoons commander Jaime Wolf and arch-enemy Yorinaga Kurita to rescue Yorinaga's son after he discovered hidden Star League era BattleMechs under ComStar's compound on Hilton Head Island.
During the Clan invasion he received word of the "loss" of his son Phelan to what was later discovered to be the Wolf Clan on The Rock in 3049. Near the end of the war he led the Kell Hounds on Luthien alongside the Wolf's Dragoons against the Smoke Jaguars and Nova Cats.
Assassination and FedCom Civil War
On June 19th, 3055 Morgan was caught in an explosion which killed his cousin Archon Melissa Steiner and his wife, Salome. The explosion also tore his right arm off, requiring him to wear a bionic replacement prosthetic, but he seldom wore the device, because he disliked it. He learned later that his cousin's daughter Katherine Steiner had arranged for the assassination of her mother to make way for her ascension as the new Archon. As he gathered evidence he also began to isolate his patrol region along the Lyran-Clan border, beginning what he later called the Arc-Royal Defense Cordon.
After the Refusal War between the Wolves and Falcons he created the Arc-Royal Defense Cordon on the border area with Clan Jade Falcon. During this time, the Cordon was technically part of the Lyran Commonwealth, but was, for all intents and purposes, under the authority of the Kell Hounds. His son, Phelan Kell, later relocated to Arc-Royal with the remaining Warden Wolves as Clan Wolf-in-Exile. Notable units in the Cordon were the 4th Skye Rangers, 17th Skye Rangers, the entire Clan Wolf-in-Exile touman, The Blue Star Irregulars, the Dioscuri, and the Kell Hounds.
In 3059, Kell met with his cousin Victor Steiner-Davion, and secretly gave him the support of his forces should they ever be needed to retake his place as Archon-Prince of a reunited FedCom. While on Tharkad during the Whitting Conference, he had a private meeting with Katherine/Katrina Steiner-Davion and his son Phelen Kell. The meeting started amicably at first, where she tried to court him to her side. He soundly refused, stating boldly that he knew she had ordered the murder of her mother, which led to his wife's death. In a fit of rage, she threatened his life, only to be threatened herself--as Phelan Kell began strangling her on the spot. Morgan calmly called off Phelan to spare her life, while Phelan warned her that his Wolves would come for revenge should anything happen to him or his father. This latter part of the incident was a ploy to deceive Katherine in the hopes that she would slip up and reveal any incriminating evidence she was hiding.
Death and legacy
Morgan survived the Jihad and died in his sleep in 3083; with his death, both his title and command of the Kell Hounds passed to his daughter, Caitlin Kell, who began the process of rebuilding the mercenary command from the dozen or so survivors of Operation SCOUR. One of the more unfortunate legacies of Morgan's life was the difficult position Clan Wolf-in-Exile found itself in after the Jihad; Morgan's long life left the exiled Clan as the occupants of restricted enclaves, rather than a true part of the population of the Kell fiefdom, something that might have been avoided if Morgan's son Phelan had been able to inherit Morgan's title.
Marriage and children
He was married to Salome Ward who bore him a son, Phelan Kell, as well as a daughter, Caitlin Kell. He also had an illegitimate daughter, Megan Kell, who ended up marrying Dan Allard. He help raised his nephew Christian Kell, whom he met in 3042 at age 16.
Titles and Positions
|Colonel of Kell Hounds
| Succeeded by|
|Grand Duke of Arc-Royal
| Succeeded by|
- He is noted as being an elite pilot of an Archer BattleMech. He continued to pilot the red/black painted machine until his "final" retirement from active military service in 3055.
- He carried a note written by Archon Katrina Steiner that gave him access to anything he needed.
|“||Deny this man, Morgan Kell, nothing. Katrina Steiner, 22 July, 3007||”|
Honors and Titles
Morgan Kell at age 39
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 89, "Morgan Kell"
- Field Manual: 3085, p.157, "Mercenaries Today"
- A Tiny Spot of Rebellion, Ch. 4
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 94: Colonel Kell is announced at the Archon's 3028 New Year's party. He was, at the time, a baron.
- The Kell Hounds, p.14 - "Service Timeline"
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 99-101 - Morgan Kell and Katrina Steiner remember their adventures of twenty years ago as "Red Corsair".
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 114-115 - "Melissa asks Morgan to give her away to Hanse Davion. Which he accepts".
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 198-202 - "Chu-sa Akira Brahe reveals to Morgan, Jaime Wolf, at urging of his father of his discovery of Star League era BattleMechs being maintained under ComStar Compound".
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 281 - "Akira Brahe is told of the destruction of their base at hands of the Kell Hounds".
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 157, "Lyran Commonwealth"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 112, "Clan Wolf (in-Exile)"
- http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=text&page=Kell_Hounds - Kell Hounds main history
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 296 - "Archer notable pilots"
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 92 - Dan Allard reads Morgan's "note" from Archon.
- "BattleTech Video Game", Planet Profile
- A Tiny Spot of Rebellion (novella)
- Blood Legacy (novel)
- Endgame (novel)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Lost Destiny (novel)
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Natural Selection (novel)
- Not the Way the Smart Money Bets
- Operation Audacity (novel)
- Storms of Fate (novel)
- Technical Readout: 3039
- The Kell Hounds (sourcebook)
- Warrior: Riposte (novel)
- Warrior: Coupé (novel)