Naga (WarShip class)
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Safe Thrust||1 g|
|Top Thrust||1.5 g|
|KF Drive Integrity||12|
|Armament|| 8 x Light NPPCs |
12 x NL35s
11 x NAC/10s
2 x White Sharks
1 x Barracudas
|Grav Decks||1 x 55 meter diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||10/22|
|Heat Sinks||620 Heat Sinks|
The Naga-class light destroyer was designed by the Terran Hegemony as a light, but well armed, escort ship for the fleets of the Star League Navy. The class was launched in 2645, and was intended as a replacement for the venerable Essex-class destroyer. The Naga was extremely successful in its role, and became the core class of vessel for Star League fleets for fifty years.
The success of the Naga stemmed from one trait alone: lower price tags. However, that is not to say the Naga is lacking to meet a budget: the class mounts an effective and concentrated mix of weapons, with combat focused on short-ranged naval engagements. However, the class’s dependence on ammunition, its lack of agility, and its thin armor mean that the Naga is definitely not intended for independent missions.
The Naga-class formed the core of Star League escort fleets for 50 years, until it was replaced by the upgraded Essex-class destroyer, an odd twist of fate, considering the class was originally commissioned to replace the original Essex-class. The upgraded Essex was commissioned in 2707 and launched in 2711.
Only 3 Naga-class vessels survived the Amaris Civil War; all 3 were left in mothballs above Neptune, the 8th planet of the Sol system. Shortly before the Blakist Jihad, the Word of Blake was attempting to restore these vessels to combat-readiness.
As an escort vessel, the Naga’s only mission was to remain close to the fleet and engage incoming enemy capital vessels. As such, the Naga mounts a mix of naval lasers, naval autocannons, and naval PPCs. The Naga also has trio of naval missile systems, capable of engaging smaller vessels. However, the Naga is almost completely dependent upon its fighter screen and other vessels within its parent fleets for protection from AeroSpace Fighters. The class is also particularly defenseless on its aft firing-arcs.
As a cheap alternative for the Star League Navy, the Naga-class is stripped down in almost every sense, including transport capability. The Naga-class cannot ferry DropShips, though the vessel is able to transport 2 squadrons of AeroSpace Fighters, a pair of small craft, and 142,437 tons of cargo; most of this cargo space is used to carry more ammunition.
- Caspar II Control Ship - Designed and built by the Word of Blake to control the drone fighters used in their SDS system, three Naga WarShips whose K-F Drives were destroyed were outfitted with command and control systems. The heavy armor plating and in-system mobility allowed these three ships to evade combat and control the drone defense systems much longer than a controller on the ground or even in a space station. The fact that they carried heavy armor and capital weapons also contributed to their battlefield longevity. In addition, these command vessels were equipped with thirty-six Advanced Robotic Transport System-equipped fighter bays, allowing them to carry and deploy Hive-class AeroSpace Fighter sized drones. Further capitalizing on the space available, the standard weaponry was augmented with ten SCL/2, nine SCL/1, thirty-two Large Variable Speed Pulse Lasers, and thirty-two Artemis IV-enhanced MML-9 launchers. These weapons are perfect for destroying enemy AeroSpace Fighters. To provide even more protection, the Command Nagas also carried four Screen Launchers and eight Anti-Missile Systems. BV (2.0) = 35,397 One of these ships coordinated the destruction of the CSS Invisible Truth during Operation SCOUR.
Original Naga from TRO:3057 Revised
The Caspar II Control Ship, a Naga WarShip from Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- MUL online date for the Naga (WarShip class)
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 179
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 101
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, pp. 206-207