New Rhodes III
|New Rhodes III|
New Rhodes nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||102.361 : -15.815[e]|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
|New Rhodes III|
| Jump point
|Moons||2 (Filerimo, Dodecanisa)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Amphibians|
|Ruler|| Jennifer Keating (Governor)|
J. C. Forma (Planetary Legate)
- 2319 - Independent world 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2772 - Terran Hegemony (from September)
- 2783 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2784 - Federated Suns 
- 2786 - Federated Suns 
- 2788 - Federated Suns 
- 2789 - Draconis Combine 
- 2791 - Draconis Combine 
- 2822 - Draconis Combine 
- 2864 - Federated Suns 
- 3025 - Federated Suns 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3079 - Federated Suns 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Federated Suns 
- 3145 - Federated Suns 
New Rhodes III is a world filled with harsh deserts. There are only two features that attracted humans, one scientific and one military.
The scientific feature is the "Colossii of New Rhodes", a chain of nearly 150 geological towers scattered across the vast desert like islands in a sea, has become a tourist attraction that brings people from across the Inner Sphere.
The military reason for humans visiting this world is more prosaic: The system's star is located very close to New Rhodes III. This means that travel times are very short, allowing forces to quickly arrive, raid the world, and leave. However the short travel times also allow friendly units to resupply very quickly from the on-world warehouses.
New Rhodes III served as the location for multiple orbital shipyards and drydocks. These massive installations and factories supported much of the Third Fleet with maintenance and replacement parts. To defend this vital infrastructure the Thirty-second Pursuit Squadron called this system its home port. At any given time a pair of WarShips - the Texas-class battleship William Halsey or the Black Lion-class battlecruiser Port Hope - were in system protecting the important installations.
First Succession War
In May 2787 the Draconis Combine launched a massive invasion of the Federated Suns. The invasion was so swift and targeted communications and JumpShips so effectively that many border systems didn't have a chance to transmit warnings or alerts, leading to widespread confusion on the part of the AFFS. A second wave followed three days after the first, led personally by Coordinator Minoru Kurita and his son, Warlord Jinjiro Kurita, striking through the Clovis Combat Region and Dahar Combat Region in two thrusts, and proved devastatingly effective. The death of Field Marshal Grover Simons on Clovis caused the AFFS defensive line to collapse, and the DCMS adopted a strategy of leapfrogging worlds, smashing some AFFS units while leaving others isolated and cut-off, to be subsequently destroyed later.
The majority of the AFFS units left behind enemy lines had been destroyed by mid-2789, but the Chargers' battalion of the Tenth Robinson Chevaliers was one of a handful of commands that managed to survive longer, through a combination of good luck, resourcefulness and sheer resilience. Made up from remnants of the Tenth and those supporting units that had managed to escape destruction, the Chargers went to ground for years after New Rhodes III fell, causing as much havoc as they could for the DCMS garrison and raiding for supplies to survive.
The civilian population of New Rhodes proved more obstinate than anticipated by the Combine garrison, a problem that was made no easier to deal with by the presence of the Chargers. Despite these problems, in December 2788 Tai-sa Samuru Olowenn - the commanding officer of the Thirtieth Dieron Regulars - believed that he had crushed the last of the armed resistance. Having reported to the DCMS High Command that his troops were victorious. The High Command designated New Rhodes as a major depot, intent on using the planet as a warehouse to supply troops throughout the local region, and began shipping large quantities of weapons and ammunition for onward distribution.
Whilst the Thirtieth proceeded to stockpile the shipped supplied in every available open space at the Xerxes City Spaceport, Olowenn laid plans to impress upon the civilian population that the Combine's occupation of New Rhodes was now absolute and unquestionable, beginning with a military parade to cow and impress the planetary business leaders, media and civilian administrators. The parade was duly held on the morning of the 23rd of March 2789, with much fanfare - only to be disrupted by Captain Conrad Warrent of the Tenth Robinson Chevaliers, who had used the river that flowed past the southern edge of the spaceport to bring a reinforced company of Chevaliers 'Mechs within striking distance of the piled supplies. The piles of supplies stretched as high as five stories, and as the DCMS security forces attempted to engage his troops, his 'Mechs jumped into the maze created by the stacked shipping containers and began destroying supplies and battling their pursuers. Explosions caused by missed shots ignited several stacks of assorted munitions, and the resulting inferno swept through half of the hangars and the spaceport, destroying more than a thousands tons of supplies and generating a thick plume of black smoke that spread through the sky for several kilometers.
Having destroyed the supplies - along with two companies of DCMS 'Mechs and armor - more than half of Warrent's raiders escaped to rejoin the resistance; with so many of the media present, it was inevitable that copies of footage from the day would survive the best efforts by Combine officials to track them down and have them destroyed. Footage of the DCMS being humiliated was shown around New Rhodes and spread to other worlds, providing a welcome morale boost for the AFFS; the strike also convinced the High Command that New Rhodes wasn't secure enough to use as a supply world, leading to the eventual decision to instead use Kentares IV as a supply hub instead.
Although the naval battle at Cholame fought in March and April 2790 had cost the AFFS a huge price, it bought the Federated Suns something badly needed - time. For fourteen months, the invasion forces from the Combine were unable to make significant gains, and the AFFS used that opportunity to provide whatever aid it could to those forces still fighting in systems such as Dobson, Galtor, Kentares and New Rhodes III.
Republic of the Sphere
On the 14th of January 3133 Bannson's Raiders launched a raid on New Rhodes III that forced the Swordsworn to retreat from the planet. The Raiders' attack was a deliberate attempt by Jacob Bannson to test the resolve of Duke Aaron Sandoval, and the Raiders' success led Bannson to begin planning an expansion throughout the worlds of Prefecture IV. In 3134 pro-Draconis Combine rebels operating under the banner of the Dragon's Fury used Garrot Superheavy Transports to haul artillery between the various Colosii mesas in support of their drive on the planetary capital, Xerxes.
- Eighth Crucis Lancers RCT
| Closest 64 systems (64 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 81, "New Rhodes III World Profile"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding" -  Map
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 118, "Digesting The Hegemony"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 55, "Kentares IV"
- First Succession War, p. 44, "Draconis Combine-Federated Suns Front 2786-2796"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succesion War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succesion War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 53, "Draconis Combine after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Federated Suns -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succesion War -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 71, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succesion War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- ">Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere - [October 3067] Map"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 66, "32st Pursuit Squadron"
- First Succession War, p. 38-39, "The Battle For Clovis"
- First Succession War, p. 40, "Rout"
- First Succession War, p. 43-45, "Rebellion on New Rhodes"
- First Succession War, p. 43, "On The Brink"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 10, "Dark Age Timeline"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 7, "Important Military Actions of 3133"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenareis, p. 12, "Garrot Superheavy Transport"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 136, "First Succession War Deployment Table - DCMS"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 133 - "Unit Deployment Table"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11, "Operation RAT"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 136, "Deployment Table"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Digest: Dark Age
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: AFFS
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries