New Wessex nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-12.415 : 113.43[e]|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 New Wessex III
- 4.1 Planetary History
- 4.2 Local Fauna
- 4.3 Military Deployment
- 4.4 Planetary Locations
- 5 Map Gallery
- 6 Nearby Systems
The New Wessex system was colonized in or before the 24th century.
- 2319 - Independent world 
- 2341 - Independent world 
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Draconis Combine 
- 2857 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3030 - Draconis Combine 
- 3040 - Draconis Combine 
- 3050 - Draconis Combine 
- 3052 - Draconis Combine 
- 3057 - Draconis Combine 
- 3063 - Draconis Combine 
- 3067 - Draconis Combine 
- 3075 - Draconis Combine 
- 3079 - Draconis Combine 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Rasalhague Dominion 
- 3151 - Rasalhague Dominion
New Wessex III
|New Wessex III|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Tainted)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Ruler||Sean Ingles, Governor (3130)|
Aaron Ghint, Legate (3130)
New Wessex was once a beautiful world that had light industry and moderate agricultural production. The true benefit to New Wessex however, is its location between the Lyran Commonwealth and the Draconis Combine.
First Succession War
During the First Succession War a task group of light WarShips from the Commonwealth led a Lyran invasion of the world. These WarShips were supposed to bombard the planet, particularly cities, in the hope that they could simply destroy the defenders outright.
Unfortunately the Draconis Combine Admiralty had moved a task force of their own into orbit around New Wessex. During the resulting orbital battle, a damaged Lyran battleship tumbled into the planet's atmosphere and its power plants exploded. The resulting toxic materials showered over half the northern coastline of the northern continent, Jaricosa. Even after centuries of cleanup efforts, the percentages of the population who contract cancer and other related diseases is higher than average.
Even with the poisoning of the atmosphere, New Wessex would be raided several more times by the Lyran Commonwealth as the Succession Wars drug on.
Second Succession War
Third Succession War
Battle of Harlow's Wood
The Lyran Commonwealth began to expect an attack from the Draconis Combine in late 3010s. As New Wessex was used by the Combine as a staging area for many operations into the Commonwealth, they needed to disrupt any military resources there to deter an incoming attack. In early 3021, the Black Widow Company of Wolf's Dragoons in the employ of the Commonwealth, would secretly land on New Wessex. There they would establish a base within the heavily forested region that covered thousands of square kilometers, known as Harlow's Wood. From there, they raided supply depots, aerospace fighter bases, storage areas and even a strike into the planet's capital city of Hallanan.
These attacks demanded a response from the defending Combine unit on world, the 20th Draconis Regiment. Under the command of Brigadier Jinjo Yamashiga, the 20th moved into the Wood to find the Widow's base and destroy them. However, Yamashiga would deploy his units in Lance sized formations. This would play right into the talents of the Black Widow Company and Natasha Kerensky. Kerensky would use the Wood to screen her company's movements to engage each Combine Lance one at a time. By the end of the week, 18 of the 27 Combine Lances had been heavily damaged.
As the Combine forces tried to regroup, the Widows began preparations to leave New Wessex. At this time, the Waco Rangers, who were on world for a much needed break, first learned of the fighting between the Dragoons and the Combine. Colonel Wayne Waco was furious to learn he had been uninformed of the fighting and scrambled to put together a company of his troops to join the hunt. Waco would study the maps of Harlow Wood and determine the best place for the Widows to be operating from before leading his troops on a two day forced march to engage the Dragoon forces. Jinjo Yamashiga would instruct the Rangers to not get involved, but Wayne Waco had other ideas and marched into the Wood. He had correctly guessed the location of the Widow's base, but had arrived only in time to fire a few long range shots before the Widows would launch in their DropShip and escape off world.
Being cheated of an opportunity to destroy a portion of his hated rivals, Wolf's Dragoons, Wayne Waco would submit a scathing report on the incompetence of Jinjo Yamashiga and his unit's response to the Widows attack. Jinjo Yamashia, with his unit suffering from heavy losses, the Widow's escaping and the Rangers report highlighting his errors, would commit seppuku a month later.
Battle of the Ouros Crossing
In 3024, the Second Benjamin Regulars was assigned to defend New Wessex. To assist them, they were assigned Tyrell's Raiders as an auxiliary force. Sho-sa Victor Garreth, commander of the Second, was not fond of being assigned the Raiders and often clashed with unit's commander. During a Lyran Commonwealth attack, Garreth would assign the Raiders to defend the Vesper-on-Ouros crossing against what he told them was a similarly sized unit. However, the incoming Lyran unit was almost a full regiment of heavy BattleMechs. Garreth had found a way to rid himself of the unit he loathed. The Raiders found themselves outnumbered and outgunned. Those who were not destroyed outright in the fighting, retreated to the Combine base only to be hanged as traitors by Garreth for cowardice in fleeing from an equal sized force. Garreth then appropriated the unit's 'Mechs to add to his unit. However, one member of the Raiders, Salvadore Tyrell, would survive and plot his revenge.
Fourth Succession War
During the Fourth Succession War the Lyran Commonwealth used the Third Lyran Guards to attack New Wessex as a part of the final wave of attacks launched under Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG. However, this attack failed to take the planet and the system remained in Combine hands.
War of 3039
New Wessex was originally planned to be an objective of the third wave of the Federated Commonwealth's Operation WINTERSHCNEE during the War of 3039. However, the Draconis Combine's counterattack halted the Commonwealth thrust before any wave 3 operations could be conducted.
As a part of The Republic of the Sphere's Prefecture I, most of New Wessex's residents still follow the Japanese culture they had during their time as a part of the Draconis Combine.
- Fifth Amphigean Light Assault Group
- Fifth Amphigean Light Assault Group
|Closest 56 systems (54 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Port Moseby||49.4||Altais||49.8||Izar||50.2||Yed Prior||50.7|
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 19, "New Wessex World Profile"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine: Foundation (2319)"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine: Foundation (2319)"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding" - 2319
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War - 2571"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, Inner Sphere - 
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (sourcebook), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War - 2822"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- First Succession War (sourcebook), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Second Succession War (sourcebook), p. 74, "THE “MARATHON OFFENSIVE” (2854–2858)"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 53, "Draconis Combine after Second Succession War - 2864"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War - 3025"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), Lyran Commonwealth Map 
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War - 3030"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 - 3040"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL - 3052"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War - 3067"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere - 3075"
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 103, "Inner Sphere - 3151"
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 6 "Prefecture I"
- Tales of the Black Widow Company, p. 7, "Hit-And-Run Raids"
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 27, "Harlow's Wood"
- Mercenary's Handbook, p. 84, "Brush With The Widow"
- Dance of Vengeance, short story
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 44-45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 69, "Wave 3 Objectives"
- First Succession War (sourcebook), p. 136, "First Succession War Deployment Table - DCMS"
- First Succession War (sourcebook), p. 137, "First Succession War Deployment Table - DCMS"
- Second Succession War (sourcebook), p. 96, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery (DCMS)"
- Second Succession War (sourcebook), p. 97, "Mercenary Combat Commands (DCMS)"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 139, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 40, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 27
- 20 Year Update
- Dance of Vengeance
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: DCMS
- Field Report: LAAF
- First Succession War (sourcebook)
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Mercenary's Handbook
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Second Succession War (sourcebook)
- Shattered Fortress
- Tales of the Black Widow Company
- Wolf's Dragoons