Oliver nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-31.803 : -7.025[e]|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
- 1 Oliver I
- 2 Political Affiliation
- 3 Planetary Geography
- 4 Planetary History
- 5 Military Deployment
- 6 Industrial Centers
- 7 Planetary Locations
- 8 Map Gallery
- 9 Nearby Systems
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
Planetary flag of Oliver
|Moons||2 (Nasya, Shilo)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Tainted)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3130|
|Ruler||Rashomon Horowit, General (3025)|
Frederic Chesterson, Governor (3130)
Prudence Arlington, Legate (3130)
|HPG (Representative)||A (Precentor Ho Fong Chi)|
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2790 - Free Worlds League 
- 2822 - Free Worlds League 
- 2864 - Free Worlds League 
- 2869 - Free Worlds League 
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Free Worlds League 
- 3058 - Free Worlds League 
- 3062 - Free Worlds League 
- 3067 - Free Worlds League 
- 3072 - Word of Blake Protectorate
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
There are three major landmasses on Oliver named Clausia, Gaineshi and Marania. Clausia is located in Oliver's southern hemisphere, while Gaineshi is to the northeast.
One of the colony worlds to be settled early in the first exodus from Terra, Oliver became one of the most quickly-developed colonies in human space thanks to the droves of colonists who arrived looking to exploit the rich resources that were readily available on the planet. Oliver was soon a significant world in the Terran Alliance thanks to it's industrial and military production, and the Terran Hegemony would continue to consider Oliver an important asset. During the early development of Oliver the continent of Marania was badly affected by rampant strip mining and would remain the least-populated of the three continents throughout the following centuries.
Having become independent as a result of the Demarcation Declaration, Oliver was subsequently added to the resurgent Terran Hegemony; whilst some worlds joined the Hegemony during its early years as a result of diplomatic and trade incentives, many more were conquered in "campaigns of persuasion" launched by Director-General James McKenna, the first of which began in 2316 and ended with the capture of Towne in 2317. Oliver was one of the worlds added to the Hegemony during or around the time of this first military campaign. By the end of the Reunification War Oliver was a member of the Tyrfing Province of the Terran Hegemony.
Star League Era
Production on Oliver expanded under the aegis of the Star League, with a number of major military manufacturers operating from the planet including the aerospace manufacturer AeroFighter Unlimited and the Brigadier Corporation, a major BattleMech Manufacturer.
Oliver suffered badly during the Succession Wars because of its location and significance. Contested by forces from each of the major powers other than the Federated Suns, the repeated raids resulted in the destruction of the AeroFighter Unlimited plants on Oliver as well as the Brigadier Corporation factory at Warez. Oliver fell into a spiraling cycle of destruction and reconstruction that caused the economy to stagnate; the constant need for heightened defense that resulted from the constant raiding saw the planetary government devolve into a military dictatorship, and Oliver would become a member of a loose alliance of Free Worlds League planets known as the Ring Coalition. Whilst Marania was already mostly frozen tundra, the widespread use of weapons of mass destruction on Marania left much of the continent scarred and unusable, home to a fraction of the planetary population distributed throughout the cities and towns scattered across the continent.
First Succession War
The Free Worlds League captured Oliver in 2790, although it would prove a difficult world to keep hold of.
Third Succession War
Having been invaded eight times by either the Lyran Commonwealth or Capellan Confederation - and occupied by the Draconis Combine at one point - Oliver was returned to League control in 2869, following an invasion by Robin Halas of Oriente. Despite the damage inflicted by all battles fought for control of the planet, the population for Oliver had shown remarkable resilience, repeatedly rebuilding. The Brigadier Corporation BattleMech plant at Gordon was still producing Crusaders and Griffins for the League; Warez had been reduced to little more than ghost town, but the BattleMech repair facility located underneath the city was also still operating.
In mid-3018 Captain-General Janos Marik was intent on destroying the mercenary unit Snord's Irregulars, who had launched raids on Nestor and Holt in pursuit of items captured from the Irregulars' museum on Clinton by Free Worlds League Military forces in late 3017. When Lyran intelligence discovered that much of the garrison of Oliver had been mobilized and sent away to search for Snord's Irregulars in the confusion created by their attack on Holt, the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces acted quickly to try and capitalize on this weak spot by launching an attack against Oliver. Although not a move coordinated with Cranston Snord, it was just the diversion Snord needed to make it back across the border to Clinton, where he re-appeared with his unit four months after the raid.
During this period Oliver was notable for using the Marik pattern of provincial military organization and ranks, as compared to either the Oriente or Andurien models. By 3025 Oliver had improved its defenses and political standing by entering into the Ring Coalition, a defensive coalition consisting of Oliver, Callison, Devil's Rock, Graham IV and Zosma. Oliver's representation in the League Parliament consisted the McKenzie brothers, who had made history by being the first siblings to represent Oliver simultaneously in Parliament.
Fourth Succession War
Following the sudden invasions of several League worlds by the Tikonov Free Republic and a daringly successful invasion of Callison by mercenaries employed by the Lyran Commonwealth in mid-3029, Captain-General Janos Marik found himself in the midst of an unanticipated crisis. In addition to the conquest of Callison, LCAF communications traffic and movements had spiked sharply, creating the impression of an impending offensive against the League. Faced with what he believed to be the plausible threat of a large-scale attack aimed at the region of the League near Terra, Janos was more concerned with saving the six or seven assorted BattleMech regiments present within the region than he was with retaining the worlds, as he believed that the offensive would most likely be aimed at snipping off the corner of the League closest to Terra - and to both the Federated Suns and the Tikonov Free Republic. Oliver was one of the systems abandoned by Janos, who would learn later that he had been deceived by an effective campaign of smoke and mirrors arranged by the Commonwealth General of the Armies, Edward Regis, to deter the League from launching an invasion of the Commonwealth while the LCAF was heavily committed to its invasion of the Draconis Combine.
Oliver was invaded in the second wave of Operation Guerrero by the Twentieth Marik Militia and the First Orloff Grenadiers. The defending Third NAIS Cadet Cadre cost the Marik forces dearly, but eventually were forced off-planet.
Swept up in the conflict that raged along the border between the Free Worlds League and the Lyran Commonwealth during the Jihad, a number of cities on Oliver were devastated including the capital city, Fort Jagger. In addition to the damage inflicted on the cities the Quikscell Company factories producing internal combustion engines were lost, another blow to the planet's economy and industrial base.
The Dark Age
Oliver was ceded to the Republic of the Sphere, which resulted in an influx of new settlers to Oliver from other worlds across the Republic. This, combined with the "peace divided" that arose from the military-redemption program directed by Devlin Stone helped the population and economy of Oliver begin to recover. The new capital city - located on Clausia along with the primary spaceport - was named Stone City in Devlin Stone's honor. The largest remaining Brigadier Corporation plant, which was located in the city of Gordon on Gaineshi, was one of a number of factories that was extensively retooled and downsized during the shift to manufacturing goods for the civilian markets. The Brigadier facilities moved across to producing primarily Industrial 'Mechs for export, while the Quikscell Corporation plants were rebuilt and manufactured ICE engines for civilian vehicle and Industrial 'Mechs.
Perhaps the most notable change during the Republic's rule of Oliver was the replacement of the military dictatorship that had ruled the planet with a democratically-elected government; this new representative democracy was similar to the government of the Republic, and offered those living on the planet a considerably greater degree of personal freedom and liberty.
In late December 3135 a group called Universal Brotherhood of Planets overthrown the planet's corrupt government and nobly dedicated themselves to returning space about them to a state of peace and tranquility. They left their post for one week only. They left their post for one week only. Unable to run anything, one week was the time it took the planet to go into chaos as services started to fail. After several sharp skirmishes, the leaders of the UBP were captured and imprisoned, and the governor and legate were returned to office.
- Gordon: the site of the Brigadier Corporation BattleMech plant.
- Stone City: the planetary capital city during the Dark Age.
- Warez: a notable city and site of a 'Mech repair facility.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 191, "Oliver World Profile"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 164, "Oliver"
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 18 "Prefecture VIII"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation ]"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation After Age of War ]"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War "
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War "
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 81, "Fourth Succession War Main Theater of Operations (January 3030)"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39
- The Star League, p. 16, "Terra's Errant Flock"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding "
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 115, "'Mech Production Facilities"
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, p. 5
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 84, "Provincial Military Organization"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 87, "Conclusion"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War "
- Shattered Sphere, p. 74-75, "Operation Guerrero, Second Wave"
- 3135 PDA Journals, p. 142 "29 December 3135"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108, "Unit Deployment Table"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 109, "Unit Deployment Table"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 19, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 159, "Fre Worlds League Deployment Table"
- ComStar (sourcebook)
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars (scenario pack)
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- 3135 PDA Journals
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: Updates
- First Succession War (Source Book)
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids
- Shattered Sphere
- The Star League
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere