- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August, 2021
- Sarna Interviews Ray Arrastia, BattleTech Line Developer At Catalyst Games
- Community Outreach - Converting HBS’s BATTLETECH Campaign To Tabletop With Riley Centrella
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Read more →
|Time period:||3086 - Present|
|Capital world:||Amur, Oriente|
|Military:||Free Worlds League Military|
The Oriente Protectorate was founded in 3086, after the dissolution of the Free Worlds League. Descended from one of the original founding states of the League, the Oriente Protectorate is a fusion of the Grand Duchy of Oriente, the Protectorate, and the Duchy of Orloff. Oriente is theoretically a representative government, but it operates under military rule, much like the Free Worlds League after the fall of the Star League.
- Founding Year: 3086 (2241 as Federation of Oriente)
- Capital (City, World): Amur, Oriente
- National Symbol: a silver eagle before a purple-and-black disc
- Location (Terra relative): Rimward of Terra, antispinward of Capellan Confederation, central
- Total (Inhabited) Systems: 29
- Estimated Population (3130): 85,500,000,000
- Government: Representative Commonality (currently operating under military rule)
- Ruler: Captain-General Jessica Marik
- Dominant Language(s): English and Greek (both official), Chinese
- Dominant Religion(s): Christianity (Orthodox), Islam
- Unit of Currency: Drachma (1 drachma = 0.31 C-Bills)
This second-largest of the League successor states was led by the false Thomas Marik and his wife Sherryl Halas after the death of Sherryl's father, Duke Christopher Halas, in 3080. The Principality of Regulus viciously assaulted Oriente time after time for harboring the false Thomas, which forced Oriente to expand away from the Regulans. Sporadic fighting continued until the 3120s.
The current head of state is Captain-General Jessica Marik, the only child of "Thomas" and Sherryl to survive the Jihad. Jessica desires nothing less than the reestablishment of the Free Worlds League under her rule. The most visible step she has so far taken to that end was the conquest of Marik in 3137 (with the help of Clan Sea Fox and the Spirit Cats), as well as border worlds between Oriente and the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth. In order to do this, however, she had a SAFE agent bomb a prominent hotel in the Regulan Fiefs. This had the hallmark of a Word of Blake attack, which required Captain-General Lester Cameron-Jones' attention. When he realized that he had been distracted so that Jessica could make her assault, he sent an assassin after her children, who succeeded in killing one and severely injuring another.
Another part of her plan was establishing positive relations with other states that had once been a part of the League, namely the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey and the Duchy of Andurien. Her relations with Andurien went sour in 3138 after ejection of her daughter Julietta. Secretly Republic of the Sphere Ghost Knight, slipped false information to Oriente SAFE agent. Lady Jessica, disbatched the Eagle's Talon to destroy reported Mech assembly facility in former Breezeway factory. After attacking and strong resistence, the undercover agents of the ROTS set off a explosive device which released deadly Nuclear/Toxic explosion that poisoned most of the planet and wiping out the Eagles. This action successfully implicated Oriente in being wrong doers. This event, triggered what became the Andurien War between two former Free World League states.
After end of the war, Lady Jessica brings together various factions within the former league and convinces them to reform Free Worlds League under her leadership. Her new husband, Thaddeus Marik leads a military coalition to retake Atreus from Regulan Fiefs in Operation Homecoming.
In early August 3146, Jessica Marik's husband fell to his death on a hunting trip. The mourning Lady Jessica withdrew from the public eye, placing her duties on her daughter Nikol Marik. On August 16 the Regulan Strategic Military Command launched Operation TRIUMVIR, and attacked Sophie's World, Kyeinnisan, Joques, Dalton and Emris IV. Elements of the Regulan Hussars pinned down the defending units, and captured the StarCorps Industries factories on Emris. At the command of Warden-General Nikol Marik, over the next four months elements of the Rim Commonality Guards, Marik Protectors, Oriente Hussars, and Orloff Grenadiers counterattacked, driving the Regulan forces out of the Protectorate and inflicting heavy damage on the Ronin, Inc. plant on Wallis.
Historical Map Gallery
- Touring the Stars, p. 73
- Touring the Stars, p. 73
- Shattered Fortress, pp. 20-21