- This article is about the BattleMech. For the Sassanid-class DropShip, see Pouncer (Vessel).
|Manufacturer||WC Primary Facility 5|
|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||DSAM Endo 4|
|Armor||Forging ZM15 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Fusion 240 XL|
|Communications System||Megaband System 21|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dtrac Suite 4|
|Heat Sinks||12 doubles|
|Jump Jets||Grandthrust Mk. 4|
The Pouncer was originally a testbed design that was upgraded to combat specifications on the orders of ilKhan Ulric Kerensky, as it was realized that a more mobile 'Mech was needed when combating Inner Sphere forces. Overall, the Pouncer is an excellent OmniMech with 15.5 tons of pod space, allowing it to carry a wide variety of payloads.
The last of the Nova factories on Tokasha were later retooled to create Pouncers after the Wars of Reaving.
Weapons and Equipment
The Pouncer is built on a lightweight DSAM Endo 4 endo steel chassis and is powered by a 240-rated XL engine which gives it a maximum speed of 97.2 km/h. The 'Mech's mobility is enhanced with five Grandthrust Mk. Four jump jets that allow it to jump up to 150 meters. For protection from enemy fire, the Pouncer has a respectable six tons of Forging ZM15 ferro-fibrous armor.
In its Primary Configuration the Pouncer greatly resembles the Adder OmniMech which it shares many of its design concepts with. The Pouncer has two ER PPCs for long-range striking power. These are backed up by a single ER small laser for close combat. All of the weapons on the Pouncer Prime are linked to an advanced targeting computer that increases their accuracy.
- Alternate Configuration A
- The A configuration of the Pouncer is a powerful long-range bombardment configuration. The 'Mech has two LRM-15 launchers, allowing it to act as a fire support 'Mech. For close-range combat, the 'Mech has four ER medium lasers and a single rear-mounted ER small laser. BV (1.0) = 1,942; BV (2.0) = 2,081
- Alternate Configuration B
- The Pouncer B is a capable all around 'Mech. For long ranges, it has a pair of ER large lasers and a single LRM-10 launcher. When the Pouncer B closes with its enemies, it can bring to bear its two SRM-4 launchers, which can seek out weak points in an enemy's armor. BV (1.0) = 1,588; BV (2.0) = 1,836
- Alternate Configuration C
- The C configuration relies on a powerful UAC/10 that can fire twice as fast as a standard autocannon for its primary firepower. This is supported by a pair of ER medium lasers and a trio of ER small lasers for close range-firepower. BV (1.0) = 1,596; BV (2.0) = 1,653
- Alternate Configuration D
- A close-combat configuration, the Pouncer D carries six ER medium lasers for its primary firepower, which are linked to an advanced targeting computer for increased accuracy. The 'Mech also has two highly accurate Streak SRM-6 launchers which can eviscerate a target at close range. For protection from rear attacks, the 'Mech has a single ER small laser. BV (1.0) = 2,182; BV (2.0) = 2,246
- Alternate Configuration E
- Configured around the new advanced tactical missile system, the E configuration carries as its primary weapons a pair of ATM-9 launchers. These launchers can fire specialized munitions that increase in damage potential as range closes. The ATM launchers are supported in short-range combat by an ER medium laser and two ER micro lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,659; BV (2.0) = 1,632
- Alternate Configuration F
- Introduced during the Word of Blake Jihad, the F configuration is built for anti-infantry and tank combat, mounting a plasma cannon supported by a pair of ER flamers and two heavy flamers. Mounting an ER medium laser as well, the Pouncer F also carries a remote sensor dispenser and an active probe. BV (2.0) = 1,308
- Alternate Configuration G
- The G is built to brawl at short range. The right arm mounts three improved heavy medium lasers. These work in conjunction with three medium pulse lasers. The left arm carries a total of 16 SRM tubes in the form of a quartet of SRM-4s. Heat is a punishing concern for this variant. Pilots should use the laser batteries to punch holes in an enemy’s armor, and then utilize the SRMs to exploit these holes in subsequent volleys. BV (2.0) = 1,808
- Alternate Configuration H
- The H configuration is a dedicated brawler. The 'Mech carries as its primary weapons four heavy medium lasers and a heavy small laser, all of which are linked to a targeting computer. The 'Mech also carries two Streak SRM-6 launchers giving it impressive close range firepower. Three extra double heat sinks handle some of the load. BV (1.0) = 1,586; BV (2.0) = 1,784
- Alternate Configuration I
- Built as a long-range sniper, the I is very capable in the role. An LRM-20 fires from the right arm and utilizes Artemis V FCS to ensure more missiles hit the target. An ER large pulse laser provides heavy, accurate fire at all ranges. BV (2.0) = 1,781
- Alternate Configuration T
- Similar in appearance to the Prime, the T is a different kind of deadly. In an increasingly common practice, the T mounts Inner Sphere plasma rifles, one in each arm. Even the Clans recognize the potential of these IS weapons. Three total tons of ammo feed this guns. A single ER small laser provides paltry backup weaponry should this Pouncer exhaust its ammo bins. BV (2.0) = 1,573
- Alternate Configuration W
- Another variant easily mistaken for the Prime, this Pouncer trades sheer damage capability for accuracy. Each arm of the W mounts a large pulse laser and an additional double heat sink. A CASE II–protected improved heavy medium laser adds considerable damage at closer ranges. BV (2.0) = 1,751
- Alternate Configuration X
- Very unusual but also very deadly, the X configuration mounts an Inner Sphere–made lance in the right arm alongside two extra double heat sinks. An impressive seven improved heavy small lasers are mounted in the left arm. A laser anti-missile system fires from the right torso and sits above another additional heat sink. A plasma cannon and its single ton of ammo are housed in the left torso with another heat sink and a supercharger. This variant is clearly intended to charge in at over 120 km/h, hinder or shut down its targets with is plasma cannon and then cut them apart with its lasers and lance. BV (2.0) = 1,455
- Pouncer Oren
- An abtakha warrior adopted by Clan Ice Hellion, Oren's unique tactical outlook of favoring speed and mobility over firepower made her an outcast among the Wolves, but meshed well with the similar views of the Ice Hellions. Still piloting the Pouncer she was captured with, the Hellions have refitted the now Star Captain's 'Mech with a MASC system.
The Pouncer is subject to the following Design Quirk:
- Adder (Puma) - The Pouncer shares many features with this light OmniMech created by Clan Star Adder, especially in its primary configuration, but adds 5 more tons.
- In German products, the unit's proper Clan name was altered to Springteufel, which literally means Pouncing Devil.
Original Pouncer from Wolf Clan SB
Pouncer from TRO:3055 Upgrade
Pouncer from RGilClan: vol. 25
Pouncer Prime in combat from BTTCG
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Technical Readout: Jihad, pp. 14–15: "Pouncer"
- ↑ MUL online date for the Pouncer Prime
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Combat Operations, p. 111
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 136
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 88: "Clan OmniMechs - Pouncer"
- ↑ The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 17
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 137
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 138
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 139
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 140
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 68
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 141
- ↑ MUL online date for the Pouncer F
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 25, p. 12
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 69
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 142
- ↑ MUL online date for the Pouncer (Oren)
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 94: BattleMech Quirk Table - Pouncer Entry