Puma (Combat Vehicle)
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|Puma Assault Tank|
|Manufacturer||Pandora 'Mech Works, Odin Manufacturing|
|Mission||Main Battle Tank|
|Engine||Pitban 285 Fusion Engine|
|Communications System||COMTEC 400E|
|Targeting Tracking System||GroundTracker EE-4|
Description & History
The Puma was first conceived by the Star League's Regular Armored Command during the 27th Century. The combat vehicle was the response of a SLDF general to the rumors and fear of obsolescence of traditional tanks in the midst of the development of the BattleMech as the League's primary weapon of war. The Puma itself greatly resembles the ancient tanks designs that were used during the Age of War.
The first production run of the vehicle started in 2650 however the tank had mixed results in its early versions, in part because the company that designed it had previously worked with only 'Mechs. These early models suffered from environmental control malfunction and ammunition handling systems problems; temperatures inside the PMA-001 would exceed 120 degrees during combat. After the development headaches of the PMA-001 & 002, the combat ready model was finally ready for production, the PMA-005. However, its reputation had been tarnished by the earlier models' failures, and the design still suffered from design faults. The tank's edges were considered too sharp and its armor too steep to deflect shots, and the large number of subcontractors made acquiring spare parts a problem. The Puma's main strength was the sheer amount of firepower it could bring to bear.
Initially during the Star League era tank commanders would use Puma lances in diamond formations, providing overlapping cover with their long-range weaponry. During the Succession Wars, the Puma had the distinction of being one few Star League designs to remain in production mostly in its original configuration. It also saw in service again in the thirty-first century with both ComStar and the Word of Blake.
Put into production by the Blake in 3065, the tank was used for the foundation of their newly created Protectorate Militia. The Puma was put into action during the Jihad by the Blake Militias on New Avalon. Its newer configurations surprised the defending Davion forces with its capabilities.
Weapons and Equipment
The tank's main gun is its Donal PPC, which is mounted in the turret. Each of the tank's sides mounts a single Holly LRM-20, with twelve reloads divided between the two launchers. For close-in action the tank has pair of Krieger Medium Lasers and a Holly SRM-4 mounted forward, with the missile launcher's twenty five volleys stored in its main hull. In the rear, the Puma is protected by a Krieger Small Laser and anti-infantry Skylight Model 5 Flamer.
- This 2751 variant was used by the SLDF's Royal Divisions. It carried twin Streak SRM-2 missile launchers, replaced the standard PPC with an extended range model, and added Artemis IV fire control systems to the LRM-20s. The Small Laser was replaced by a Small Pulse Laser. To provide space and weight for these upgrades, the Royal Puma used an XL engine. BV (2.0) = 1,546
- Designed for common use for the Protectorate Militia, the 007 mounts a Heavy PPC in place of its standard PPC. The 3069 variant has three MML-7s in place of the other missile launchers. The Amberweave armor is replaced by Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor and CASE is fitted to the ammunition bins. Its defensive armaments include a pair Machine Gun Arrays and a front mounted B-Pod. The tank uses a C3i Computer to tie Blakist's Level IIs together. BV (2.0) = 1,323
- Designed as a Blakist's command vehicle, this is a rare variant which sports significantly enhanced weaponry. The tank's main gun is a Targeting Computer-guided Extended Range Particle Projector Cannon, with three Artemis guided MML-9s backing it up. The vehicle mounts six Anti-Missile Systems and three Anti-Battle Armor Pods placed all around the vehicle to fend off infantry troops. It also carries a Guardian ECM Suite to foul up enemy electronics. The armor protection is enhanced with additional Heavy Ferro-Fibrous. BV (2.0) = 1,631
- MUL online date for the Puma (Combat Vehicle)
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 182-183, "Puma Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 216
- Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 118-119, "Puma Vehicle Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 222-223, "Puma Vehicle Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 169, "SLDF Royal variant"
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 151
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 14
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 217
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 218