Ice Ferret (Fenris)
|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Hellion Medium Gamma ES [endo steel]|
|Armor||MAC Level 5 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||360 Type II XL|
|Communications System||Hellion Special 354B|
|Targeting Tracking System||Wolf Hunter MK VII|
|Heat Sinks||12 double|
A powerful medium scout and recon 'Mech, the Ice Ferret was regarded as something of a foreign concept when it was first encountered by Inner Sphere forces. Known by the code name Fenris by Inner Sphere forces, the Ice Ferret is a very capable medium scout OmniMech, which is well armored and fast, and can be configured as a striker, headhunter, or as a fire-support 'Mech.
Deployed extensively by Clan Wolf, the Ice Ferret was actually designed to combat the pride of Clan Wolf, the Timber Wolf OmniMech. Originally named the Wolf Hunter, the Ice Ferret was first produced in the mid-2900s by Clan Ice Hellion, but performed poorly due to lack-luster weapon configurations. Annoyed by the constant Hellion harassment, but appreciating the potential of the new OmniMech, Clan Wolf warriors eventually began challenging for the OmniMech, and eventually won the production facility for the design. The Wolves renamed the design after the only natural predator of the ice hellion, the ice ferret, and altered the configurations to improve performance. The Ice Hellions would maintain a large number of the "Wolf Hunters" in their Touman during their existence. However, in the early years of the Jihad era, the Ice Ferret's few production facilities would end up being destroyed during the chaotic fighting in Clan Homeworlds. The design would end up being phased out of use and replaced by the Viper.
Weapons and Equipment
The Ice Ferret is built on a lightweight endo steel chassis and is powered by a massive 360-rated XL engine that gives the Ice Ferret a top speed of 129.6 km/h and also accounts for one third of the 'Mech's total weight. The Ice Ferret has 12 double heat sinks mounted on the chassis and is protected by seven and a half tons of ferro-fibrous armor, giving the 'Mech almost the maximum amount of armor protection for its weight.
In its Primary configuration, the Ice Ferret is capable of acting in a variety of roles. For close combat, the Prime has a Streak SRM-2 launcher and an ER small laser, and for long range engagements the 'Mech is armed with a single ER PPC, giving it excellent long range hitting power for its size. The Ice Ferret also carries an Active Probe allowing the 'Mech to detect hidden enemy units.
- Alternate Configuration A
- The A configuration carries a single LB-X AC/2 for its excellent long-range sniping capabilities. This is backed up by two ER medium lasers for close combat and a single anti-missile system for added defense against missile weapons. BV (1.0) = 1,210; BV (2.0) = 1,323
- Alternate Configuration C
- A fire support configuration of the Ice Ferret, the C configuration has a trio of LRM-5 launchers, each linked to an Artemis IV fire control system for increased missile accuracy. For close range defense, the 'Mech has a single ER small laser. BV (1.0) = 1,057; BV (2.0) = 1,211
- Alternate Configuration E
- The E configuration of the Ice Ferret carries as its primary weapon an ATM-9 launcher, which is capable of firing specialized ammunition for short, medium, and long ranges. Backing this up for close combat, is an ER medium laser and an ER small laser. BV (1.0) = 1,329; BV (2.0) = 1,483
- Alternate Configuration H
- Capable of engaging an enemy at a variety of ranges, the Ice Ferret H has an ER large laser for long range combat. For short ranges, the 'Mech has two heavy medium lasers and a single SRM-6 launcher with an extra heat sink to compensate for the energy weapons. BV (1.0) = 1,342; BV (2.0) = 1,619
- Alternate Configuration I
- This configuration takes advantage of Inner Sphere technology. Each arm carries an SRM-6 with two tons of ammunition, and an M-Pod, but once those are expended the MechWarrior only has a single ER small laser for weaponry. A Bloodhound active probe finds threats. BV (2.0) = 1,096
- Alternate Configuration T
- An improved heavy large laser and ER medium laser are mounted in the left arm, while the right arm carries a single SRM-2 with one ton of ammunition. An active probe finds hidden threats while an engine supercharger allows the Ice Ferret to sprint at speeds of 160 km/h. BV (2.0) = 1,825
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- Released in the August Patch as a means of compensation for purchase of the Clan Heroes Pack. The Ice Ferret P carries a complement of lasers and a missile. Three ER medium lasers and one ER small laser round out the lasers, two in the right arm and one in the left arm while the small is located in the torso. Its missile complement is a Streak SRM-6 mounted next to the single ER medium laser and has two tons of ammo for reloads. An ECM suite gives this variant the means to counter other targeting systems and disrupt other ECM suites that may be present on the battlefield. As of this writing, this variant has yet to be published in any known canon.
- IFR-RC "Rainbow Crow"
- A customized variant of the Rainbow Crow. Piloted by Karl Devalis, the Rainbow Crow uses a pair of heavy medium lasers in its left arm, a heavy machine gun with one ton of ammo in the right arm, and a Streak SRM-6 with two tons of ammo in the right torso. The center torso carries a Guardian ECM suite.
- In German products, the unit's proper Clan name was translated to Eismarder, which means "Ice Marten" in English. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was left unchanged.
- Plastic Ice Ferret (Fenris) Prime is included in BattleTech: Clan Heavy Striker Star.
Original Ice Ferret from TRO:3050
Ice Ferret from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Ice Ferret (Fenris) from RG:ilClan v4
Ice Ferret Prime in motion from CCG
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 30–31: "Fenris"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 124–125: "Fenris OmniMech Profile"
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 54
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 22–23: "Fenris OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 20–21: "Fenris OmniMech Profile"
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 17: Discarded Tools of War - Ice Ferret (Fenris) is listed as among the 'Mechs phased out due to its factory being destroyed during the Wars of Reaving
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 55
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 56
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 57
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 58
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 72
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 59
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 4, p. 12
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 60
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 61
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New, p. 138
- MechWarrior Online - "Clan Heroes II"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 91: BattleMech Quirk Table - Fenris Entry.
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook, p. 93
- The Falcon and the Wolf, p. 61