Ice Ferret (Fenris)
|Manufacturer||W-7 Facilities, Wolf Clan Site 3|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Hellion Medium Gamma ES Endo Steel|
|Engine||Type II 360 XL|
|Communications System||Hellion Special 354B|
|Targeting Tracking System||Wolf Hunter MK VII|
|Heat Sinks||12 Double Heat Sinks|
|BV (2.0)|| 1,684|
A powerful medium scout and recon 'Mech, the Ice Ferret was regarded as something of a foreign concept when it was first encountered by Inner Sphere forces. Referred to as the Fenris by Inner Sphere forces, the Ice Ferret is a very capable medium scout OmniMech, which is well armored and fast, and can be configured as a strike/headhunter or as a fire-support 'Mech.
Deployed extensively by Clan Wolf, the Ice Ferret was actually designed to combat the pride of Clan Wolf, the Timber Wolf OmniMech. Originally named the Wolf Hunter, the Ice Ferret was first produced in the mid-2900s by Clan Ice Hellion, but performed poorly due to lack-luster weapon configurations. Annoyed by the constant Hellion harassment, but appreciating the potential of the new OmniMech, Clan Wolf warriors eventually began challenging for the OmniMech, and eventually won the production facility for the design. The Wolves renamed the design after the only natural predator of the Ice Hellion, the Ice Ferret, and altered the configurations to improve performance. The Ice Hellions would maintain a large number of the "Wolf Hunters" in their touman during their existence. However, in the early years of the Jihad era, the Ice Ferret's few production facilities would end up being destroyed during the chaotic fighting in Clan Homeworlds. The design would end up being phased out of use and replaced by the Viper.
Weapons and Equipment
The Ice Ferret is built on a lightweight Endo Steel chassis that saves weight and is powered by a massive 360 XL engine that gives the Ice Ferret a top speed of 129.6 km/h and also accounts for one third of the 'Mech's total weight. The Ice Ferret has twelve double heat sinks mounted on the chassis and is protected by seven and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor, giving the 'Mech almost the maximum amount of armor protection for its weight.
In its primary configuration, the Ice Ferret is capable of acting in a variety of roles. The Ice Ferret carries an Active Probe allowing the 'Mech to detect hidden enemy units. For close combat, the Ice Ferret prime has a Streak SRM-2 launcher and an ER Small Laser. For long range engagements, the 'Mech is armed with a single ER PPC, giving it excellent long range hitting power for its size.
- Alt. Config. A
- The A configuration carries a single LB-X Autocannon/2 for its excellent long range sniping capabilities. This is backed up by two ER Medium Lasers for close combat capabilities and a single Anti-Missile System for added defense against missile weapons. BV (1.0) = 1,210, BV (2.0) = 1,323
- Alt. Config. C
- A fire support configuration of the Ice Ferret, the C configuration has a trio of LRM-5 launchers, each linked to an Artemis IV fire control system for increased missile accuracy. For close range defense, the 'Mech has a single ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 1,057, BV (2.0) = 1,211
- Alt. Config. E
- The E configuration of the Ice Ferret carries as its primary weapon an ATM-9 launcher, which is capable of firing specialized ammunition for short, medium, and long ranges. Backing this up for close combat, is an ER Medium Laser and an ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 1,329, BV (2.0) = 1,483
- Alt. Config. I
- This configuration takes advantage of Inner Sphere technology. A Bloodhound Active Probe finds threats. Each arm carries an SRM-6 and an M-Pod. The SRM is equipped with a two ton ammunition bay, but once that's empty the MechWarrior only has a single ER Small Laser for weaponry. BV (2.0) = 1,096
- Alt. Config. T
- An Improved Heavy Large Laser and ER Medium Laser are mounted in the left arm, while the right arm carries a single SRM 2 with a ton of ammunition. An Active Probe finds hidden threats while an engine Supercharger allows the Ice Ferret to sprint at speeds of 160km/h. BV (2.0) = 1,825
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- IFR-RC "Rainbow Crow"
- A customized variant of the Rainbow Crow. Piloted by Karl Devalis, the Rainbow Crow uses a pair of Heavy Medium Lasers in its left arm. The center torso carries a Guardian ECM. The right arm uses a single Heavy Machine Gun with one ton of ammo. In the right torso, a single Streak SRM-6 with two tons of ammo.
In German products the unit's proper Clan name was translated to Eismarder, which means "Ice Marten" in English. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was left unchanged.
Original Ice Ferret from TRO:3050
Ice Ferret from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Ice Ferret Prime in motion from CCG
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 124-125, "Fenris OmniMech Profile"
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 54
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 22-23, "Fenris OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 20-21, "Fenris OmniMech Profile"
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 17 Discarded Tools of War - Ice Ferret (Fenris) is listed as among the 'Mechs phased out due to its factory being destroyed during the Wars of Reaving
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 55
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 56
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 57
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 58
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 72
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 59
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 4, p. 12
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 60
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 61
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New, p. 138
- MechWarrior Online - "Clan Heroes II"
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook, p. 93
- The Falcon and the Wolf, p. 61