- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Why You Should Actually Trust BattleTech’s Mysteriously Short-Ranged Autocannons
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- Read more →
- This article is about the aerospace fighter. For other uses, see Rapier (disambiguation).
|Class||Heavy Aerospace Fighter|
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Power Plant||AeroFord 340 Fusion Engine|
|Communications System||COMHRT II.Q|
|Tracking & Targeting System||Scope 130Y|
|Heat Sinks||12 (Double)|
|BV (2.0)|| 1,544|
The Rapier was the staple heavy Aerospace Fighter of the SLDF since its introduction despite coming from an unusual source: the toy manufacturer Bauer Enterprises. Bauer's unexpected decision to enter the military aerospace market in 2590 was a complete surprise to everyone, since it was better-known for making remote-controlled aerospace models than the real deal. However, their decision was based upon a new invention from one of their researchers, the veteran Dr. Lionel Rajan III, who developed a revolutionary neurocontrol device. This device used overlapping wave signals to produce a three-dimensional image of what the toy was "seeing" in the operator's mind. The SLDF was impressed with this revolutionary targeting and tracking system, especially since the Reunification War still raged with no end in sight, and gave the toy company a chance. A number of different prototypes, including a heavy Land-Air 'Mech, were rejected but it was the Rapier which won Bauer Enterprises its contract, with full production beginning in 2595.
Besides its revolutionary Bauer Scope 130Y, the craft boasted good maneuverability and protection compared to craft of similar mass, sporting twelve tons of Philter Mech myomer-weave armor plating. It was widely deployed throughout the SLDF, with less advanced versions lacking the Scope 130Y used by the Lyran Commonwealth. Though the factory on Tharkad was never attacked during the Succession Wars, the Rapier still suffered from the loss of technological knowledge during that period, with downgraded versions of the fighter produced throughout the Inner Sphere. Only ComStar and the Word of Blake are known to still field Star League-quality Rapiers. Bauer Enterprises was poised to begin production of new models of the Rapier when a Blakist assault in late 3067 destroyed the Tharkad factory, though enough of the facility apparently survived to roll out a few of the new variant.
Weapons and Equipment
The Bauer Scope 130Y, the innovation at the heart of the Rapier design, effectively extends the range of all of the mounted weapon systems, and allows the pilot to help direct launched missiles in mid-flight through neural impulses. The Rapier's weapon systems include a RNG Ranger class 20 Autocannon, twin PDVR Piledriver Model 11-D PPCs mounted on opposite sides of the cockpit, and a single Cavalier Industries LRM-10 System.
- An exclusive design fielded by SLDF Royal commands, the RPR-100b Rapier replaces the standard AeroFord 340 with a 340 XL Engine. The RPR-100b adds a trio of Double Heat Sinks and CASE, upgrades the LRMs to LRM-20s slaved to Artemis IV FCS, increases the LRM ammo from 1 ton to 3, and replaces the PPCs with Large Pulse Lasers. The craft's rear is also now covered by a Medium Pulse Laser. BV (2.0) = 1,751
- Clan Wolverine replaced the Large Pulse Lasers with Clan-spec versions and the missile launcher with an Improved LRM-20. Additional armor, heat sinks, fuel and autocannon ammo used up the rest of the weight freed by the lighter weapons. (Note: EC is an abbreviation used by historians to designate "Early Clan" designs.) BV (2.0) = 1,822
- This variant is armed with 3 PPCs in the nose and a pair of Medium Lasers split between both of its wings. Additionally, another pair of Medium Lasers are mounted on the aft of the craft, covering its rear firing arc. The craft carries 20 Double Heat Sinks to keep it from over heating. BV (2.0) = 1,738
- The craft has a massive Assault Class Autocannon firing coaxially with a pair of Large Lasers, along with a 10-Tube Long Range Missile launcher. The craft carries 10 rounds of autocannon ammunition and 12 volleys of missile ammo for its launcher. It has 16 Heat Sinks to keep it cool as it Alpha Strikes. BV (2.0) = 1,327
- A LB 10-X Autocannon co-axed with a pair Extended Range PPCs is mounted in the nose of this variant. The LRM-10 is retained and mounted in the nose as well. The autocannon has been given 20 rounds of ammo split between two bays. The LRMs still mount 12 rounds of ammunition. Fourteen double heat sinks have been fitted into the craft. BV (2.0) = 1,797
- This unique variant of the Rapier was designed by the Word of Blake when they controlled Tharkad. It carries fifteen double heat sinks. The craft's main weapons are removed and replaced by a pair of nose mounted Hypervelocity Autocannon/10s, supplemented by an Extended LRM-10 rack. Each wing carries a pair of ER Medium Lasers. Multi-ton ammunition magazines allow the Rapier X to remain in the fight longer, which was a key limitation of the RPR-300. Protection comes from Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor. Lockheed is attempting to create a production model of this version now. BV(2.0) = 2,007
- Produced by Lockheed-CBM Corporation on Tharkad and introduced after the end of the Jihad the only difference between this airframe and the RPR-300X is that two of the wing-mounted ER Medium Lasers now cover the rear arc. This allows the Rapier-300S pilot to fire all forward-firing weapons without overheating. BV (2.0) = 1,867
Original RPR-100 Rapier from TRO:2750
Upgraded Rapier from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Variant RPR-300S Rapier from TRO:Proto
- MUL online date for the Rapier
- Combat Operations, p. 107
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 151
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 183
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 244-245, "Rapier Fighter Profile"
- Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 78-79, "Rapier Fighter Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 169, "Rapier Variant"
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 43
- Technical Readout: Golden Century, p. 62
- Technical Readout: Golden Century, p. 150
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League), p. 305
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League), p. 306
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League), p. 307
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League), p. 308
- Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner, p. 13
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 181
- Record Sheets: Prototypes, p. 93
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War
- Record Sheets: Prototypes
- Technical Readout: Golden Century
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3057
- Technical Readout: 3075
- Technical Readout: Prototypes