- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- The Black Pants Legion Presents: The Hunchback, Coming August 26
- Read more →
Third Succession War
Robert Grey was born on Kestrel in 3004 and was a descendant of David Grey, an SLDF MechWarrior who stayed beyond with Kieran McKinnon to join the AFFS. With the Fox's Teeth such a strongly hereditary unit he was trained almost from birth to take his place in it. His first recorded combat action took place at the age of fifteen; the 3019 Battle of Markerson, Captain Mercer Ravannion's infamous "Charge of the Horde." The Company was on Fallon II for a quick raid against factories and mines which they did successfully. As the rest of the Company reformed to leave the world, Grey's Recon Lance was on rear guard. Ravannion fell upon Grey's lance with seven 'Mechs in an attempt to prove his Horde philosophy to the DCMS brass. None of Ravannion's 'Mechs survived.
Fourth Succession War
War of 3039
Grey was present on Thestria, Valentina, Cassias, and Benet III during 3048 through 3049. At some point late in 3049 Grey lost his Hornet to a Panther though it is not recorded exactly when and where. It is likely to have been on Benet II, on 7 June 3049 when the Fox's Teeth and Sorenson's Sabres finally clashed. If so, it was Seyla Teresa Martinez in her PNT-9R Panther. Following the loss of his Hornet, Grey returned to piloting his dilapidated Stinger.
When the Fox's Teeth was split off from the rest of the Seventh on Inarcs, they were turned lose to do what they do best, raise hell. They tore a path through the Lyran Alliance, with Grey's scouting skills instrumental in keeping them one step ahead of an ever growing pursuit force. After a long march through Mandaoaaru, Australia, Abbadiyah, Loxley, Storfors, Saravan, Vorzel, Greenlaw, Horneburg, Upano, Alma Alta, Cameron, and Furillo they finally arrived home on Kestrel.
Grey is often described as solitary and moody, but with a hunter's nature that comes alive in combat. He enjoys the long hours hunting down other light 'Mechs, and the fast paced maneuvering to bring down larger ones. The rapid social and political changes in his lifetime have made him feel out of place and alone, a relic of the thirtieth century. The betrayal he felt at the Lyran succession left him deeply suspicious of all things Lyran, even refusing to pilot an offered Dart. In the early 3070s Ross McKinnon became concerned with his violent mood swings and sought ways to convince Grey to seek psychiatric help.
From 3019 until 3027 Grey piloted a dilapidated STG-3R Stinger with erratic circuitry on the medium laser. Following the Battle of Tikonov he obtained a fresh off the production line HNT-151 Hornet (Serial Number HNT1510420). After the 3049 loss of his Hornet he returned to his Stinger. In 3053 he was assigned a new ALM-7D Fireball which he upgraded to the ALM-8D as soon as he could. He remained in the -8D until at least 3071
Grey was a Regular MechWarrior (Gunnery 3, Piloting 5) in 3029. By 3049 he had improved dramatically, having become a Heroic MechWarrior (Gunnery 1, Piloting 2) with a de facto Special Piloting Ability that allowed him to place his shots exactly where he wanted with uncanny regularity.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 30
- The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, p. 13
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 8
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, p. 84
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 15: "History"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 14: "2788"
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 12
- The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, pp. 14–15: "The Swarm's Sting"
- The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, pp. 26–27: "Cry Vengeance!"
- The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, pp. 28–29: "Restitution"
- The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, pp. 42–43: "Hide and Seek"
- Wolves on the Border, ch. 33: Corrects the date from May 3029 (during the Fourth Succession War) to May 3027
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 15–16: "Wedding Gifts"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 4–9: "The Right Path"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 16: "War of 3039"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 16–17: "Best Served Cold"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 73: "Touchpoint: Thestria (Fox's Teeth)"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 74–75: "Touchpoint: Valentina (Fox's Teeth)"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 75–76: "Touchpoint: Cassias (Fox's Teeth)"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 80: "Touchpoint: Dust-Up"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 45
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 17: "Blood of Kerensky"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 17–18: "Once More into the Breach"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 18–19: "Houses Divided"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 19: "A Universe Turned Upside Down"
- Demon Star
- Jihad Secrets, pp. 72–73: "Ross McKinnon"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 19: "3071"
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 52