- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- The Black Pants Legion Presents: The Hunchback, Coming August 26
- Read more →
- This article is about the ProtoMech. For the publishing house that published the BattleTech and MechWarrior novel lines, see Roc Books.
|Manufacturer||Clan Smoke Jaguar Unknown facility|
|Targeting Tracking System||Unspecified|
The Roc is considered one of the best of the first generation ProtoMechs, and most known successful, as it was produced, operative and fighting for almost a century. By the time it was created, the engineers and technicians had enough feedback from the other units to find a good balance of armor, weaponry, and speed. It proved to be very popular with pilots, and formed the backbone of many ProtoMech Points and Stars.
After its development by the Smoke Jaguars, the Roc was adopted by Clans Coyote, Goliath Scorpion, Hell's Horses and Wolf-in-Exile. Other Clans also adopted the Roc towards the latter half of the thirty-first century. In the year 3069, a Roc-producing factory of Clan Steel Viper on Arcadia was taken by the forces of Clan Blood Spirit. By the time of the Dark Ages only the Raven Alliance still fielded the original Roc.
Weapons and Equipment
In a sense a "super-Elemental", a Roc carries a single ER Medium Laser and is equipped with sufficient Jump Jets to leap 150 meters at a time. It can also maintain a cruising speed of 54 km/h and carries sufficient armoring to survive a direct PPC hit to the chest.
- Point Commander Ean, a Clan Jade Falcon solahma aerospace pilot, taken bondsman by Clan Smoke Jaguar and assigned to the ProtoMech project. He died in the Battle of Huntress,
- Star Commander Rotislav Grimheald of Clan Hell's Horses piloted a Roc in the Word of Blake Jihad.
- In German products, the unit's proper name was translated to Rok.
Original Roc from TRO:3060
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 201
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 306
- The Wars of Reaving, p. 45: "The Hellion Plan"
- Roc (Standard) page on Master Unit List
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 307: Heavy Medium Laser version of the Roc
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 308: Medium Pulse Variant of the Roc
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 297: ECM Variant of the Roc
- Technical Readout: 3150, p. 224
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 44
- Legacy, p 188
- A Trial Most Acceptable in Shrapnel, issue #10, p. 83