Ronin (Mercenary Unit)
- This article is about the mercenary unit. For other uses, see Ronin (disambiguation).
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
- 1 Unit Description
- 2 History
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Composition History
- 6 Notes
- 7 Game Rules
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
The Ronin mercenary unit formed from the remains of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery's 10th Ghost Regiment.
The Ronin are survivors of the original Tenth Ghost Regiment which was formed by the Draconis Combine's Theodore Kurita as one of his phantom BattleMech Regiments that were formed just after the Fourth Succession War. Ronin's original members had consisted principally of two Yakuza gangs which were the Jirigawa and Minitoma Empires.
Dieron as the 10th Ghost
The Yakuza staffed unit was dispatched to the besieged world of Dieron, to help fight off Word of Blake Forces in March, 3068. After retaking the main spaceport, one of their first acts on that world was to support the 3rd Dieron Regulars after the Word of Blake forces nearly destroyed that unit. The 10th's assistance kept the 3rd Dieron in the fight far longer than would have been expected. The Blakist commander assigned Burr's Black Cobras mercenary unit to destroy the 10th Ghost, and the Combine regiment took many casualties over the next four weeks. They gave as good as they got however, nearly destroying the mercenary unit completely when they were recalled to defend the spaceport. During that last engagement the 10th Ghost's Commanding Officer, Tai-sa Samuel Nodawas killed, and the unit's remaining forces quickly rallied around the commander's wife and executive officer, Chu-sa Gretchen Noda. In June 3068 the unit received orders from DCMS High Command to rotate to Quentin rest and refit.
Quentin as the Tenth Ghost
Gretchen had took command of the unit, which remained on Quentin for two years. In 3070, received orders from DCMS High command to re-deploy back to Dieron. During their time on Quentin, they had received barely enough supplies and had with little means of repair. The unit believed it would be suicide if they returned. Gretchen by now was more than angry about unit's treatment by DCMS and the death of her husband because of the high command's orders. Gretchen executed the ISF planted spies in the unit, and consolidated her power in 3071 and began conducting independent actions without the permission of the DCMS. 
Rezak's Hole - Birth of the Ronin
The unit traveled to Rezak's Hole where the unit wiped out the last of that scorched world's pirates lurking in the system. While on planet, Unit incorporated some of the "saner" pirates into the unit to becoming known as mercenary unit known as Ronin. While on planet, they raided an Interstellar Expeditions base camp, where they helped themselves to two lances worth of Star League era BattleMechs. They managed to escape DCMS patrol that were summoned to the world by IE's the distress calls. The League equipment allowed the unit to rebuilt itself to battalion. The unit became unknowingly employed by Chandrasekhar Kurita through being hired by StarCorps Industries. In course of service with StarCorps, their Tai-sa Gretchen developed a reputation of being a hothead commander and a contract breaker.
Odessa as the Ronin
The unit while under the StarCorp contract, was part of a mercenary force to invade Odessa. They were under impression that they were part of a corporation war effort, but soon discovered they faced the Odessa garrison force with a hidden WoB's Manei Domini Shadow Division in nasty war. The unit suffered 75% losses from the fight itself, which brought legal disputes with StarCorp for its losses. Though course of the legal challenges, unit's commander was outraged they were actually under the pay of Chandrasekhar Kurita. Which Gretchen has sworn never to work anything to do with her unit's old masters.
Late Dark Age
|Commanding Officers of Ronin|
|Tai-sa||Gretchen Noda||3068 - 3075|
As the Tenth Ghost, the unit was formed from two battered commands, the 8th Ghost and 10th Ghost. Due to the internal friction between the yakuza gangs and survivors of two regiments, the unit could not fight as a cohesive force. It
10th Ghost (BattleMech Regiment)
- CO: Tai-sa Samual Noda
10th Ghost Aerospace (Wing)
- CO: Sho-sa Wilma Daisan
45th Benjamin Armored (Combat Vehicle Regiment)
- CO: Tai-sa Alexander Gossett
5th Meilen Ground Pounders (2 Infantry Battalions)
- CO: Tai-sa Greta Black
Ronin (BattleMech Battalion/Mercenary)
- CO: Major Tsugahara Kunda
- - As of 3145 the Ronin were a "C"-rated unit operating at ninety percent of full strength.
How this unit could be known as the Tenth Ghost Regiment of the DCMS in 3145 is unclear, since the unit was considered ronin by the DCMS. It is possible that a second regiment was built, but this is speculative.
When using the optional Force Specific Rules for scenarios. The unit has D Rated Equipment as of 3059. The unit as whole does not possession special abilities while fighting other regiments. However, individual members of the unit are allowed to do wo when creating a character using RPG rules. Individual members receive double Skill points when they are being applied to Perception, Streetwise and Unarmed Combat. While using old MW RPG system may 1 point cheaper to purchase a Contact.
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine p. 118 - 10th Ghost - Regiment's first Yakuza gang consisted of the Jirigawa and Minitoma empires.
- Jihad Turning Points: Dieron, p. 8, 10th Ghost
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorp Dossiers, p. 23 - Gretchen Noda - Clarification on unit's early history with Gretchen's bio.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorp Dossiers, p. 23 - Former 10th Ghost raids research camp on scorched world which allowed to rebuild.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 41 - Betrayal of Ideals - Brief history of the unit early years.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 61-62 - Unit Profile described by Star Seeds commander.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorp Dossiers, p. 23 - Unit history up to Odessa in 3072, and DCMS's order for its death.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 41 - Betrayal of Ideals - Actual order for the 10th Ghosts death from DCMS.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 182, "Notable Mercenary Forces - Federated Suns"
- Jihad Secrets: Blake Documents, p. 41 - Betrayal of Ideals - Unit shown to be at Battalion strength.
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine p. 149 - Force Specific Rules - 10th Ghost special abilities.
- Daughter of the Dragon (Novel)
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad Turning Points: Dieron
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Masters & Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Historical: War of 3039
- Objective Raids
- MechWarrior Dark Age Dossier of Ronin MechWarrior Geoff Morgan