|Manufacturer||Buhallin Military Products|
|Armor||Mercury Weave Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||LTV 160 fusion engine|
|Communications System||SP/2 HAYOT|
|Targeting Tracking System||Hanover Sight 3000-A-K-P|
|Heat Sinks||10 single|
The Rotunda was a covert reconnaissance wheeled vehicle intentionally designed to resemble a civilian sedan.
The 20-ton Rotunda was designed to be a self-sufficient combat platform and home for its single crew member.
From a distance, the sleek Rotunda resembled any number of civilian ICE-powered saloon cars, only enhanced by body kits which allowed it to become a variety of other similarly shaped vehicle types. But under its mundane shell, a meager ton of Mercury Weave ferro-fibrous armor, the vehicle was equipped for scouting and even light raiding duties. Unlike other scout vehicles, the Rotunda was built for maximum endurance while undercover, its LTV 160 fusion engine giving it effectively unlimited range; the driver's cooking and sleeping accommodations—while cramped—allowed for observation missions of three-month periods.
While a popular vehicle, the Rotunda was one of many designs whose fate was sealed by the early Succession Wars. After the Dieron-based assembly lines of its manufacturer, Buhallin Military Products, were destroyed in 2776, the number of Rotundas dwindled due to a lack of spare parts and the dire need for fusion engines for BattleMechs and other combat vehicles. The design became extinct outside of the stockpiled examples in the military forces of ComStar and the Word of Blake.
Weapons and Equipment
While intended only as a scout and lightly armored, the Rotunda featured a small but significant weapons array with which to defend itself or take out targets of opportunity. The primary weapon was the Amdecker 300 large laser, with backup provided by a Holly SRM-2 rack set just below the headlights, with a single ton of reloads. While the Holly rack is one of the best-known and trusted designs, the accurate Amdecker laser is not, with many drivers reporting issues with heat dissipation and technicians repairing it.
- An early variant, the 100 series lacked sturdy suspension system and needed frequent maintenance, limiting its endurance.
- Resolved suspension issues, with near identical armor placement to the 100.
- Rocket Launcher
- This variant used the same ICE engine as the LRM version, but replaced the standard weapon for five fifteen-tube rocket launchers. BV (2.0) = 320
Original Rotunda from TRO:2750
Upgraded Rotunda from TRO:3050 Upgrade
- Author Blaine Lee Pardoe stated in a blog entry that, according to his memory which he admitted could be wrong, the Rotunda was among the vehicles for which he wrote the original background as initially published in TRO:2750; for some of these he also designed the stats.
- ↑ MUL online date for the Rotunda
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 106
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 154–155: "Rotunda"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 172
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 90–91: "Rotunda"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 194–195: "Rotunda"
- ↑ Lost Destiny, ch. 41
- ↑ Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 8
- ↑ Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 9
- ↑ Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 10