- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Buhallin Military Products|
|Armor||Mercury Weave Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||LTV 160 Fusion Engine|
|Communications System||SP/2 HAYOT|
|Targeting Tracking System||Hanover Sight 3000-A-K-P|
The 20 ton Rotunda is designed to be a self sufficient combat platform and home for its single crew member.
From a distance, the sleek Rotunda resembles any number of civilian I.C.E. powered saloon cars, only enhanced by body kits which allow it to become a variety of other similarly shaped vehicle types. But under its mundane shell, a meager ton of Mercury Weave Ferro-Fibrous armor, the Rotunda is equipped for scouting and even light raiding duties. Unlike other scout vehicles, the Rotunda is built for maximum endurance while under cover, its LTV 160 Fusion Engine gives it effectively unlimited range, and the driver's cooking and sleeping accommodations, if cramped, mean they can operate away from base for over three months.
While a popular vehicle, the Rotunda was one of many designs whose fate was sealed by the early Succession Wars. After the Dieron-based assembly lines of its manufacturer, Buhallin Military Products, were destroyed in 2776, the number of Rotundas dwindled due to a lack of spare parts and the dire need for Fusion Engines for BattleMechs and other Combat Vehicles. The design became extinct outside the stockpiled examples in the military forces of ComStar and the Word of Blake.
Weapons and Equipment
While intended only as a scout and lightly armored, the Rotunda features a small but significant weapons array with which to defend itself or take out targets of opportunity. The primary weapon is Amdecker 300 Large Laser, back-up provided by a Holly SRM-2 rack with a single ton of reloads. While the Holly rack is one of the best known and trusted designs, the accurate Amdecker laser is not, with many drivers reporting issues with heat dissipation and technicians repairing it.
- An early variant, the 100 series lacked sturdy suspension system and needed frequent maintenance, limiting its endurance.
- Fixed their suspension issues, but near identical armor placement as the 100.
- MUL online date for the Rotunda
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 154-155, "Rotunda Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 172
- Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 90-91, "Rotunda Vehicle Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 194-195, "Rotunda Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 8
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 9
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 10