Mad Cat Mk IV
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Mad Cat Mk IV|
|Manufacturer||Manufacturing Plant SFF-TU1|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Type W4 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Composite Alpha-V1 Ferro-Lamellor|
|Engine||Model 49b XXL Engine|
|Communications System||Khan Series (Type 6c)|
|Targeting Tracking System||Series XIV OPT|
Renewing the Mad Cat legend, the Mk IV used some of the most powerful configurations of its grand brother, while also incorporating easier to find and replace components. Clan Sea Fox expected to experience the same success with this model as it had with previous ones. The development of the Mad Cat Mk IV had its origins in an illicit collaboration between the Clan Jade Falcon and Spina Khanate's Beta Aimag, led by ovKhan Sha Clarke. When this arrangement came to light—and was repudiated by Clan Sea Fox as a whole—all connection with the Falcons was severed (though the Falcons did manage to retain an unspecified number of non-Omni prototypes). OvKhan Petr Kalasa of Spina's Delta Aimag was granted the right to pursue development of the OmniMech, sold as the Mad Cat Mk IV to the Inner Sphere and as the Savage Wolf to the Clans.
Weapons and Equipment
This 'Mech used the same weapons loadout previously seen on the Timber Wolf's alternate configuration D: twin ER PPCs provide a strong energy punch at long range, while four Streak SRM-6 deal a similarly powerful short range punch. Just as with that configuration, two Streak SRM-6 were mounted facing to the rear, providing the design with a 360° fire arc.
Configurations and Variants
- Alt. Config. A
- This configuration switches up all of the Mad Cat Mk IV's armament by replacing the ER PPCs with ER Large Lasers and each pack of SRM-6 with a single ATM 9. The remaining tonnage is spent on four more ER Small Lasers, two in the center torso and one in each side torso, respectively. BV = 2,413
- Alt. Config. B
- This refit is a radical makeover of the original Mad Cat Mk IV which completely scraps the weapons of the original. Its right side only has a massive Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle 30, which is linked both to the right arm and the right torso, giving the 'Mech its main punch at all ranges. The rest of empty pod space is used to fit an ATM 9 into the left torso instead of the original's SRM launchers. Lastly, the 'Mech sports an Improved Heavy Large Laser in its left arm. To mount such massive equipment, this configuration sacrifices two Double Heat Sinks. BV = 2,606 
- Alt. Config. C
- This configuration mirrors the equipment of the classic Timber Wolf Prime. It sacrifices two Double Heat Sinks to mount the needed equipment. It downgrades to LRM-15 launchers, but the weight savings are used to equip each of them with Artemis V. The last difference in the equipment is the switch of Timber Wolf's two Machine Guns for an additional Medium Pulse Laser. BV = 2,796
- Alt. Config. PR
- This chassis and configuration, along with the PR2, swap out the XXL engine with an XL engine (greatly reducing the cost) and replaces the Ferro-Lamellor armor with Ferro-Fibrous. It also exchanges one Double Heat Sink for a ER Small Laser added to the left torso. The PR and PR2 were presumably the prototypes taken by the Jade Falcons. BV = 2,702
- Alt. Config. PR2
- A configuration based off the original PR config. It retains the ER PPCs, the ER Small Laser and the extra Double Heat Sink. The real change is in the missile racks which had all the Streak SRM-6s replaced with two ATM 6s facing the front and two ATM 3s facing the rear of the 'Mech. BV = 2,666
- Anastasia Kerensky - Piloted the MCT-V4 configuration.
- Alaric Wolf - He piloted "an ER large laser configuration of the Mad Cat Mk IV with deadly efficiency. An accomplished strategist and tactician, Alaric is a decisive and inspiring leader on the battlefield, held in almost mythic regard by Clan Wolf warriors. His example has led many to seek out the Mad Cat Mk IV, perhaps bringing the venerable Timber Wolf full circle by making it once again a favorite among the Wolves." This was most likely the Alt. Config. A.
Mad Cat Mk IV MWDA Clix miniature
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, pp. 42-43, "Mad Cat Mk IV"
- Online date for the Mad Cat Mk IV
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 52
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 100, "Mad Cat IV A"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 53
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 101, "Mad Cat IV B"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 54
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 102, "Mad Cat IV C"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 55
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 103, "Mad Cat IV PR"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 56
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 104, "Mad Cat IV PR2"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 57
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 42, "Notable Units"