|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Year Availability||3055 (DC)|
|Damage||15 (incidental)|
|Ammo Per Ton||0.1 (1 canister weighs 10 tons)|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||10,000|
|BV (1.0)||160 (launcher) |
|BV (2.0)||160 (launcher) |
The Screen Launcher system was introduced by the engineers of the Draconis Combine Admiralty in 3055 to provide additional protection to DropShips facing Clan WarShips. The Screen Launcher fires a special canister projectile loaded with chaff, visual obscurants, and electronic jamming devices. These projectiles are fired at a location between the DropShip and an attacker, impeding targeting systems. Though not intended as a weapon, any unit near the canister when it explodes will be damaged as if it had been hit by a Gauss rifle. Ship captains are advised that this damage is incidental, and given the weight of the canister (10 tons), it is not impressive.
Strangely, although the Screen Launcher was invented in the Draconis Combine, few of their ships are equipped with the system. The Federated Suns was the first Successor State to deploy the Screen Launcher, installing three on the Avalon-class cruiser. Unlike previous technology transfers based on espionage, as part of the Clan Invasion détente between the Federated Suns and the Draconis Combine that allowed the creation of the Covenant-class the Combine provided complete technical specifications for the Screen Launcher to their longtime enemy.
Useful only in space (where atmosphere and gravity won't affect the canister contents), Screen Launchers can only be mounted on units that are DropShip sized or larger. In theory, they can be mounted on a space station, but there are no known instances of this.
The Screen Launcher is manufactured on the following planets:
|XP1 Kamen||?(Draconis Combine)||Omodaka Research Facility||???|||
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 TechManual, p. 292, "Heavy Weapons And Equipment (Cont) - Table"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 TechManual, p. 237, "Screen Launcher"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 TechManual, p. 342, "Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons And Equipment Table"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 AeroTech 2, p. 54, "Weapon And Equipment BV And Costs"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 TechManual, p. 318, "Aerospace Weapons And Equipment BV Table"
- ↑ AeroTech 2, p. 41, "Screen Launchers"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Explorer Corps (sourcebook), p. 92, "Screen Launchers"