- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- The Black Pants Legion Presents: The Hunchback, Coming August 26
- Read more →
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Communications System||StarLink/Benicia Model AS829G|
|Targeting Tracking System||Targa-7, Vid-Com-17|
|Heat Sinks||10 single|
The Sentinel is a medium BattleMech built by Defiance Industries as an infantry support and installation defense 'Mech, originally under exclusive contract for the Lyran Commonwealth. While initially pleased to have a then Terran Hegemony controlled factory manufacturing the 'Mech exclusively for the LCAF, the Lyrans were less so when a Star League Council amendment in 2652 permitted the Star League Defense Force to purchase a highly advanced version of the design which Houses Steiner, Marik and Davion would not receive until years later.
The Sentinel was one of many designs to suffer from the technological decline of the Succession Wars era, with Defiance first losing the ability to manufacture its advanced weapon systems before discontinuing production entirely in 3014 due to lack of both parts and interest. Rather than disappear from the battlefield, the Sentinel now began to appear in increasing numbers thanks to ComStar and its massive stockpile of SLDF matériel, both providing the design to the Draconis Combine prior to the War of 3039 and using it to help outfit its Com Guards.
Weapons and Equipment
The Star League Sentinel carried a somewhat unique and highly advanced armament for its time. Its primary weapon was a Kawabata Weapons Industries UAC/5 developed especially for the 3L, and is capable of firing at double the rate of a standard AC/5 at the cost of slightly increased possibility of jamming the weapon until it can be overhauled. The Sentinel also mounted an advanced Defiance Streak SRM-2, the launcher designed to only fire if it gains a lock, saving ammo until the entire salvo is virtually guaranteed to hit. Unfortunately the weapon's benefits were hampered by the companion small laser, the swap from the fragile Defiance A-1 for the sturdier Defiance B-1A moved the launcher's ammo feed by half a meter, resulting in ammo jams during abrupt maneuvers. Though MechWarriors discovered that they could clear a jam in the field by thumping the 'Mech's chest with its right fist, opponents quickly learned to concentrate fire on any Sentinel performing this, forcing pilots to retreat from battle anyway.
Ignoring its weapons loadout, the Sentinel was a relatively mundanely constructed 'Mech built on a standard Defiant V chassis and clad in five and half tons of Valiant Lamellor standard armor. A dependable Pitban 240 fusion engine gives the 'Mech a top running speed of 97.2 km/h, but when first manufactured the engine was also blamed as the cause for chronic overheating of the 'Mech. An investigation eventually found instead it was an issue with the heat circulation of the 'Mech's 10 single heat sinks, which required a field replacement program and redesign for future production.
With a powerful Targa-7, Vid-Com-17 targeting system and StarLink/Benicia Model AS829G communications package, the Sentinel was ideal for long-range patrols or mobile observation. Able to operate on multiple frequencies, it could not only closely monitor and command units operating under it, but also maintain contact with rear-area artillery for fire support.
- The 1S Sentinel was the original production model commissioned by House Steiner in 2651. The 1S lacked the advanced technologies of the 3L, mounting a Defiance Model F AC/2 instead of the advanced ultra autocannon model, and a Coventry Quad-Rack SRM-4 instead of the Streak SRM-2. The 1S also mounted a half ton more armor, but is otherwise identical to the 3L. After years of hassles and bureaucratic maneuvering, all Lyran 1S Sentinels were eventually upgraded to 3L, only to be all but destroyed during the Succession Wars. BV (2.0) = 632
- The 3K Sentinel is the downgraded Succession Wars era version of the 3L model. The UAC/5 and Streak SRM-2 have both been downgraded to a Defiance Type J AC/5 and a Holly SRM-2 rack. While its speed has stayed the same, the 'Mechs endurance in the field is actually enhanced by an extra ton of autocannon reloads and an extra half ton of armor. BV (1.0) = 536; BV (2.0) = 652
- The Royal version of the Sentinel featured a significantly upgraded weapon loadout, mounting a Gauss rifle in place of the autocannon and a medium laser in place of the Streak SRM-2 rack, but retaining the small laser. To handle the weight of the Gauss rifle it was almost entirely rebuilt using an XL engine and endo steel structure, with the one and a half tons of ferro-fibrous plate enhancing its protection. BV (2.0) = 1260
- The downgraded STN-3M model provided by ComStar to the Draconis Combine as part of Operation ROSEBUD carried attributes of both the 3L and 3K Sentinels, retaining the advanced 'Mech's UAC/5, but replacing the Streak SRM-2 rack with a standard Markin Mini SRM-2 launcher. While House Kurita was angered as much by the loss of the lostech system as the use of a "foreign" Magistracy of Canopus manufactured launcher, the swap allowed the small laser to be upgraded to Magna Mk II medium laser. BV (1.0) = 655; BV (2.0) = 758
- The 4D adds a Davion touch to the Sentinel. The Streak SRM-2 launcher has been completely done away with on this model and the UAC/5 has been replaced with a RAC/5, while the medium laser from the 3M version has been upgraded to an ER medium laser, and its five and a half tons of standard armor have been replaced with seven tons of ferro-fibrous plate. BV (1.0) = 1,064; BV (2.0) = 1,179
- This variant was produced by Defiance after it was lost to the Word of Blake during the Jihad. Built on the same chassis as the 3L, the 5WB adds one ton of armor, uses a light engine for power, and replaces the weapons with a light AC/5s that are fed from a single, one-ton ammunition bin, backed up by three ER medium lasers. BV (2.0) = 999
- This Sentinel variant uses a Clan-spec XL engine and an XL Gyro to free weight. Its primary weapon is an UAC/5, supplemented by a Clan-grade ER medium laser and two Thunderbolt 5 missile launchers. Two tons of ammo are present for the Thunderbolts and the autocannon gets one ton of ammunition, all protected by CASE II systems. Six and a half tons of armor protects the 'Mech. BV (2.0) = 1,089
- In German products, the unit's proper name was translated to Wächter. The model code was accordingly changed to WCT-3R.
Original STN-3L Sentinel from TRO:2750
STN-3K Sentinel from TRO:3025 Revised
STN-3M Sentinel from TRO:3050
Sentinel from RG:ilClan v14
STN-3K Sentinel from TRO:3039
STN-3L Sentinel from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Sentinel from Shrapnel #3
STN-3L Sentinel in Motion from CCG
Sentinel miniature from BattleTech: ComStar Command Level II
- Technical Readout: Succession Wars, pp. 62–63: "STN-3L Sentinell"
- MUL online date for the Sentinel
- Technical Readout: 2750, p. 26: "STN-3L Sentinel"
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 40: "STN-3KSentinel"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 254: "STN-3KSentinel"
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 100–101: "Sentinel"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 90–91: "STN-3M Sentinel"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 194: "STN-3L Sentinel"
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 411
- Combat Operations, p. 130
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 104
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 413
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 414
- Historical: Operation Klondike, p. 159: "SLDF Royal Units - BattleMechs"
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 35
- Combat Operations, p. 125
- Combat Operations, p. 127
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 70
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 14, p. 17
- BattleMech Manual, Fourth Printing, p. 94: "BattleMech Quirk Table"
- BattleMech Manual Errata (Version 6.01), p. 9
- BattleMech Manual
- Combat Operations
- Historical: Operation Klondike
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 14
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade