6th Marik Militia
|Sixth Marik Militia|
|Nickname||The Keystone Yeomanry|
|Affiliation||Free Worlds League|
|Parent Command||Marik Militia|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 Rules
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
The Sixth Marik Militia was formed in 2241. Intended to anchor other units in their division, the Sixth was designated a "keystone" unit by the LCCC. This designation, along with the fact that most of their heavy vehicles carried LRM launchers, led to their name. The Sixth was one of the first FWLM units to receive 'Mechs, but retained their battlefield role. The first battalion was equipped exclusively with Assault 'Mechs while the other two battalions were equipped with a mix of heavy and assault 'Mechs. Since these units had a low ground speed, the Sixth trained extensively in making combat drops. The Sixth Marik Militia would serve the League for centuries. Like the other regiments of the brigade, the Third was dedicated to serving and defending the people of the League, rather than serving the Captain-General, a distinction that separated the Militia from other federal formations such as the Atrean Dragoons and Free Worlds Guards.
The Sixth Marik Militia was one of six regiments chosen to serve in the Second Marik Auxiliary Corps formed in 2581 to support the Star League Defense Force when the Star League decided to intervene in the civil war that had been raging inside the Rim Worlds Republic since 2575.
The Second Marik Auxiliary Corps incorporated the Sixth Marik Militia and a sister regiment, the Second Marik Militia, as well as the Second Regulan Hussars, Second Defenders of Andurien and the First and Second Brigades of the Fusiliers of Oriente. The 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps was one of a number of Corps that made up Task Force MAILED FIST, the military component of Operation MAILED FIST, the Star League operation within the Rim Worlds Republic between 2581 and 2596.
The Sixth Marik Militia sent the bulk of Operation MAILED FIST operating alongside the Second Marik Militia and the First Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente; together, the three regiments would conduct campaigns in the Star's End system in 2581, on Stirling in 2583, Viborg in 2588, Marisura in 2589, Barcelona in 2591, Götterdämmerung in 2592, Bensinger in 2594 and Crellacor in 2595. In addition to these campaigns the Sixth also fought alongside the Fusiliers on Kladnitsa in 2584, the only battle the Second Marik Militia missed - the Second remained on Stirling that year.
The Star's End campaign was one of the first systems to be designated as a target for the Star League forces; still considered a newly-colonized system in the late twenty-sixth century, the population of the Star's End system numbered less than five thousand but was considered a strategically significant system. As a result, it merited a strong garrison, and during the early years of the civil war within the Rim Worlds Republic that garrison was a battalion from the Fifth Amaris Fusiliers. The Fifth were considered to be loyal to First Consul Gregory Amaris but with no idea of how these loyalist forces would react, Task Force MAILED FIST was forced to treat the Fusiliers with suspicion.
The Sixth Marik Militia and the other FWLM units entered the Star's End system in May 2581. Unsure of what resistance to expect, if any, the Free Worlds League forces were surprised to find no visible military presence when they entered the system. The colonies had all been established on various asteroids along with the military garrison, all of which had gone dark to evade detection; with no charts of the system to draw on, the SLDF forces were forced to survey the system for themselves, a long, laborious fourteen-month task. Despite the difficulties in surveying the system, the Star's End system was declared to be secure in June or July, and the SLDF began to establish a fleet base in the system that ironically became the single biggest customer for the local mining colonies. The SLDF also established a supply depot on Novo Cressidas, the one habitable world in the system.
In addition to facing the Fifth Amaris Fusiliers at Star's End, the Sixth Marik Militia would also come into conflict with the Third Amaris Fusiliers on Viborg, the Seventh Amaris Fusiliers on Marisura and the Third Amaris Legionnaires on Stirling. While many of the campaigns were fought against local militia and partisan forces rather than line regiments from the Rim Worlds Army, the Sixth Marik Militia found that the overall campaign became increasingly difficult after the atrocities performed by the Draconis Auxiliary Corps when they captured Nightwish in mid-2584 resulted in a massive increase in resistance from local forces and partisans and increasingly rebellious populations.
The Sixth Marik Militia and their companion units from the 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps operated largely independently of the other units within Task Force MAILED FIST; the exceptions to this were on Marisura, where they operated alongside the First Arkab Legion and the Fourth Proserpina Hussars from the Draconis Auxiliary Corps, on Barcelona where the forces of the Lyran Auxiliary Corps and the Thirty-First Armor Division were also deployed - with the FWLM forces being on the periphery of the event known as the Day of Rage - and lastly on Bensinger, where the Sixth fought alongside the Seventeenth Royal Division.
Star League Era
When the Star League Council issued the Council Edict of 2650 limiting the size of the military maintained by each Great House the Sixth was one of nineteen active regiments within the Marik Militia. Like the other regiments of the Militia, the Sixth remained a popular unit with both the commoners within the League and the peerage because of their public dedication to the people of the League, and like the other regiments of the Militia often acted as training grounds for troops across the League. A significant number of the personnel serving in other more prestigious federal units and various provincial forces within the League had actually begun their careers in the Sixth or another of the Marik Militia regiments. In 2749 the Sixth was deployed to Blue Sava in response to rising tensions with the Lyran Commonwealth.
Together with the Ninth Marik Militia, defended Emris IV against Wolf's Dragoons in 3014 during the Marik Civil War, holding out for three weeks before conceding defeat. Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment was stopped completely by the Sixth's assault battalion, the Death Watch Brigade. They then redeployed to Sophie's World and Vanra.
Third Succession War
In 2901 the Sixth launched an attack on Loric, supported by a large force of DropShips and aerospace fighters, which successfully crippled the defending Steiner forces. The attack would become known as one of the most successful operations in the history of the Marik Militia brigade.
Fourth Succession War
Landed on Conquista with the Atrean Hussars and Second Free Worlds Guards in a failed attempt to capture the Fifth Defenders of Andurien. This campaign led to bad blood between the Sixth and the Hussars.
During the FedCom Civil War, the Sixth was deployed to the Lyran Alliance world of Arcadia in an attempt to rescue Kristen's Krushers. They drove the Second Donegal Guards off-world, but couldn't rescue all of the Krushers.
|Commanding Officers of the 6th Marik Militia|
Star League Era
In 2765 the Sixth was one of the heaviest BattleMech regiments in the entire Free Worlds League Military in terms of average weight, and it had continued to train and equip for assault operations, a specialty it had been practicing for almost five and a half centuries.
Clan Invasion Era
The command use the advantages of the combined arms to its best efforts. During landing operation the double strength fighter branch provide air cover and air superiority for the entire brigade. 2 Battalions form the front line because the flanks and backyard are covered by the conventional forces, which also provide reconnaissance for the rest of the brigade. Should ever show the enemy a weak spot the reserve battalion will be ready to do its best to bring the enemies off balance.
Sixth Marik Militia (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
2786 - 2821
Sixth Marik Militia (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Sixth was a light-weight regiment operating at full strength and based on Hamilton.In 2821 the unit was operating at just below half-strength, and was located on Shui-pào.
6th Marik Militia (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the light-weight unit was stationed on Shui-pào with an operational readiness of 75 percent. 
6th Marik Militia (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the light-weight unit was stationed on Shui-pào with an operational readiness of 27 percent. 
Sixth Marik Militia (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Boris Ames-Marik
6th Marik Militia(Regiment\Veteran\Fanatical)
Sixth Marik Militia (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO/First Battalion: Colonel David Kyster
- XO: Force Commander Jan Sinclair
- Second Battalion : Force Commander Ulric Ferand
- Third Battalion: Force Commander Shuzo Matsuoka
- Wing Commander: Commodore Dario Avila
- The Beta Wing is a mix of Aerospace Fighters, VTOLs and Atmospheric Fighters
Twenty-third Marik Reconnaissance Regiment (1 Regiment/Green/Reliable)
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Liu Shau
- Troop Commander: Lieutenant-Colonel Greg Solis
It was noted in House Marik (The Free Worlds League) that the First and Third Marik Militias earned enough salvage during the Reunification War campaign against the Magistracy of Canopus to form a sixth regiment. However, as the formation of the Sixth Marik Militia has been confirmed as 2241 in at least one more recent sourcebook the sixth regiment references in House Marik (The Free Worlds League) has either been retconned or it refers to another regiment from within the Marik Militia.
The Sixth Marik Militia of the late Star League period was highly trained in planetary assaults and combat drops. To reflect this, they receive a +1 modifier to their Combat Drops rolls. They can also make use of the Overrun Combat and Forcing the Initiative Force Specific Rules. When rolling random Lance type, add a +3 modifier.
First Succession War
- As a Marik Militia regiment the Sixth receives no modifiers to die rolls when generating forces on RAT tables during the First Succession War.
- Era Report: 2750, p. 48
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10, "Marik Militia"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 152, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (Jump-off - 2587)
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 131, "False Starts (2579-81)
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 153, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 132, "Persistence, Treeline, Star's End and Black Earth (May-December 2581)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 154, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (Jump-off - 2587)
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 155, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134, "Arlina to Viborg (December 2584 - September 2588)"
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 21
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 35
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 90, "Marik Militia"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 58, "6th Marik Militia Unit Profile"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 74
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 148
- Dawn of the Jihad, p. 77 "Skye, Bolan Forces hit Three Worlds"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 21, "Überschatten"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108, "FWL Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 56, "FWLM Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 160
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War, p. 138, "Free Worlds League Military (FWLM)"
- Second Succession War, p. 98
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.86
- Era Report: 2750, p. 141
- First Succession War, p. 147, "RAT Die Roll Modifiers by Combat Command Table"
- 20 Year Update
- Dawn of the Jihad
- Era Report: 2750
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report 2765: FWLM
- First Succession War (sourcebook)
- Historical: Brush Wars
- Historical: Reunification War
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Second Succession War (sourcebook)
- Shattered Sphere