- Your BattleTech News Round-Up For August, 2023
- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- Read more →
|Affiliation||Federation of Skye, Lyran Commonwealth|
Originally the army of the Federation of Skye, where the Skye Rangers were once synonymous with courage and resolution. Lately, many in the LCAF and LAAF see them as divisive for their ties to the Free Skye movement. The Skye Rangers have maintained close ties to its parent state, recruiting almost exclusively from the Federation, with many Sanglamore graduates heading to fill billets in the brigade. As such, the unit frequently sides with the leader of the Skye region, not the Archon.
While it is said the Tamar Pact brought martial skill to the nascent Lyran Commonwealth, the Skye Rangers have long been the largest of the original provincial militaries. In 2765 they had sixteen active regiments. They were known as being fiercely individualistic, which many considered a form of sedition. They were used offensively, but generally half the active regiments of the Rangers were left in the Isle of Skye to avoid political problems.
While they weathered the First Succession War fairly well, losing only the 10th Rangers, the Second Succession War was particularly harsh on the Rangers. While the Tenth had been rebuilt during the break in fighting, 11 Skye Ranger regiments were destroyed by the time the war ground to a halt. By 3025, the Second and 20th Skye Rangers had both been disbanded, leaving the brigade with just four regiments.
Early in the Jihad, the Skye Rangers led an assault into the Free Worlds League. Though they inflicted serious damage on the FWLM, including destroying the 5th Oriente Hussars, the Skye Rangers spent most of the Jihad defending the Skye Province from Word of Blake attacks.
The brigade followed their homeworld to join the Republic of the Sphere, and the LCAF disbanded the brigade. The 4th Skye Rangers, long the pinnacle of the brigade, went on to form the core of the IV Hastati Sentinels, one of the best units in the early RAF. Many of those soldiers' descendants later became partisans of Jasek Kelswa-Steiner, forming the Lyran Rangers and fighting, ironically, for the return of Skye to the Commonwealth.
|Commanding Officers of the Skye Rangers|
Different per Unit.
Units of the Skye Rangers
- First Skye Rangers
- Second Skye Rangers
- Third Skye Rangers
- Fourth Skye Rangers
- Fifth Skye Rangers
- Eighth Skye Rangers
- Ninth Skye Rangers
- Tenth Skye Rangers
- Fourteenth Skye Rangers
- Fifteenth Skye Rangers
- Sixteenth Skye Rangers
- Seventeenth Skye Rangers
- Twentieth Skye Rangers
- Twenty-first Skye Rangers
- Twenty-second Skye Rangers
- Twenty-fifth Skye Rangers
- The First Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Third Rangers were destroyed by the Draconis Combine on Freedom during the Second Succession War.
- The Fourth Rangers were absorbed into Republic of the Sphere forces.
- The Fifth Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Eighth Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Ninth Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Tenth Rangers were dissolved after the Battle of Coventry.
- The Fourteenth Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Fifteenth Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Sixteenth Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Seventeenth Rangers were destroyed during the Clan Invasion and later rebuilt; gifted to the Republic of the Sphere after the Jihad.
- The Twenty-first Rangers were destroyed during the Second Succession War.
- The Twenty-second Rangers were destroyed during the Jihad.
- The Twenty-fifth Rangers served during the Reunification War; disbanded.
Color Scheme and Insignia
- The parade color scheme of the Skye Rangers is dark red, with the arms of 'Mechs, turrets of vehicles or rudders of fighters painted black. Each regiment has its own unique highlight color.
- The Rangers insignia takes for form of a yellow sun partly obscured by wisps of white clouds on blue sky disc.
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 167
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 90
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 6
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 18
- First Succession War, p. 139
- Second Succession War, pp. 99–100
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), pp. 116–117
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 15
- Stormhammers MW:DA Dossier - Lyran Rangers profile
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 173
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 137
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 19: "Skye Rangers" - Regimental Status
- Second Succession War, p. 99
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 167: "Forces gifted to the Republic"