Smithson's Chinese Bandits
|Smithson's Chinese Bandits|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Unit Disposition - 3067|
|Guard Lance||Kessel -|
|Pilson's Recon Lance||Kessel -|
- 1 History
- 2 Andurien Secession
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Composition History
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
Third Succession War
Enlisted by Captain-General Samuel Marik in 2926, the unit was swayed from the service of the Lyran Commonwealth. The unit at the time was considered fairly typical greedy mercenary personality but loyal as long as their paycheck arrived. The Free Worlds League was desperate at the time for veteran troops and at the time the Bandits consisted of three BattleMech Regiments and one Regiment of Aerospace Fighters. The Bandits were deployed on the Capellan border and over the years suffered heavy losses that reduced the unit to a regiment in size. The unit had issues trying replace its personnel and materials. In 3014, Captain-General Janos Marik gave the unit a substantial bonus to sway them to fighting for him in his nation's Marik Civil War of (3014-3015).
During the Marik Civil War the Bandit's commander, Erin Viola, was able to play the two sides against each other to get better employment terms. Eventually the Bandits signed a contract to work for Janos Marik. Their first assignment was to support the 11th Atrean Dragoons on Matheran. They dropped behind the 12th Atrean Dragoons and forced the rebel unit onto its heels. The Bandits held out for the better part of a month, but when two regiments of Wolf's Dragoons landed on the world, they decided to withdraw to Carbonis. In late 3014 the Bandits raided Fuentes, where they inflicted heavy losses on both 5th Regulan Hussars and the 7th Ducal Guard. The two rebel units were saved by the timely intervention of Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment. A few months later (April, 3015) the Bandits revisited Fuentes and forced the Fifth Regulan and Seventh Ducal Guard regiments to surrender.
Fourth Succession War
In the Andurien Secession, Smithson's Chinese Bandits landed on Connaught Sophie's World, and Furund between 3030 and 3032. It wasn't until 3036 that they landed on Shiro III and fought, sustaining moderate losses before withdrawing.
Clan Invasion Era
As of 3049, the unit was still employed by the Free Worlds League. They merited a "Veteran" experience rating, and were based on the planet Kyrkbacken. By this point, Colonel Ada Gubser was already in command, who would eventually be the Bandits' last commanding officer.
Prior to Operation Guerrero in 3057, the Bandits had apparently expanded to two Regiments. Both units suffered very heavy casualties, however, in failed attacks on Woodstock and Nanking. Thomas Marik refused to help them rebuild, although he did provide them with some advanced equipment as stipulated by their contract. Departing for Outreach with four Overlord-class DropShips, they traded one of those vessels for replacement 'Mechs, equipment, and C-Bills. Though reduced to less than a single Regiment, the unit still merited an "A-" Dragoons rating.  During their time on Nanking, the LCCC ordered Burr's Black Cobras to reinforce the unit. However, the Cobras weren't able to do so.
FedCom Civil War
During the FedCom Civil War, the unit wound up supporting Victor Ian Steiner-Davion's Allies, and saw heavy action on Small World. They faced the 17th Arcturan Guards and Achernar SMM, and led the two Loyalist units on a chase for two months. Outnumbered by Katherine Steiner-Davion's Loyalists, the unit was reduced to a reinforced Company by the war's end. They experienced great difficulty rebuilding, as so many others were attempting to do the same.
Jihad and Destruction
The Bandits helped deliver the first blow of the Word of Blake's Jihad when they bombed the Wolf's Dragoons Aerospace Wing on Harlech in the early morning hours of October 15, 3067. Branded as a renegade command by the MRBC, the Bandits were completely destroyed over the course of the fighting on Outreach along with the other major mercenary units involved in the surprise attack on the Dragoons, the 51st Dark Panzer Jaegers and the Waco Rangers when Wolf's Dragoons and their allies responded to the death of Jaime Wolf by activating a plan entitled "Condition Feral".
|Commanding Officers of Smithson's Chinese Bandits|
|Colonel||Ada Gubser||3059 - 3067|
The Bandits have a high expertise in jungle and woodland fights and tactics.
2786 - 2821
Smithson's Chinese Bandits (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Galatea. In 2821 the command was reduced to 82 percent of its strength and was deployed on Carbonis. 
Smithson's Chinese Bandits (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Carbonis with an operational readiness of 143 percent. 
Smithson's Chinese Bandits (Regiment/Regular/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Carbonis with an operational readiness of 68 percent. 
- Two BattleMech Regiments
- One Aerospace Fighter Regiment
Smithson's Chinese Bandits (Veteran/Reliable)- FWLM 
- CO: Colonel Erin Viola
- One Heavy BattleMech Battalion
- Two Light BattleMech Battalions
- The majority of 'Mechs being Medium Class size and Aerospace fighters in Heavy catagory
Smithson’s Chinese Bandits (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
1st Smithson's Chinese Bandits (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable) 
2nd Smithson's Chinese Bandits (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
Smithson's Chinese Bandits (2 Battalions/Veteran/Reliable) 
One Reinforced Company with a command lance
- CO/Colonel Ada Gubser
- XO/Major Antoine Lavoisier
Air Bandits (2 Lances of heavy aerospace fighters)
- Wing Commander: Captain James Stillwell
Hunchback in Smithson's Chinese Bandits colors.
- Camo Specs, p. 16
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 105 - "Smithson's Chinese Bandits profile".
- Camo Specs, p. 16
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 23
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 26
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 31
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 32
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 54
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 37
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 62
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 87
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 89
- 20 Year Update, p. 57
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 82
- Bred for War, p. 319
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 160
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, Revised, p. 101
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 44, "The Jihad In Review"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 109
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 114
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised, p. 101 - "Smithson's Chinese Bandits profile"
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 82
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 138
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 98
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 105 - "Smithson's Chinese Bandits profile"
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.87
- 20-Year Update, p. 57
- 20 Year Update
- Blake Ascending
- Bred for War
- Camo Specs
- Field Manual: Mercenaries
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised
- Historical: Brush Wars
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Handbook: House Liao
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- First Succession War
- Second Succession War