Solaris Games Denizens
Several different archetypes can be found between the Solaris Denizens. Their actions, how they interact between them and with the real stars of the Solaris Games is what sets them apart.
- 1 Solaris Games Denizens
- 1.1 Brokers/Fixers
- 1.2 Gangsters
- 1.3 Ghosts
- 1.4 Hotshot Pilot
- 1.5 Information Dealers
- 1.6 Mechbunny
- 1.7 Mech Techs
- 1.8 Media
- 1.9 Patrons
- 1.10 Stable Masters
- 1.11 Sycophant
- 1.12 Wannabe
- 2 References
- 3 Bibliography
Solaris Games Denizens
In every world there is somebody that knows people and that can put them in contact with whomever you might need: a stablemaster, an assassin... They are known from their contacts and their capability to get anything done for a price.
- Andrea Rigsby
- Anton Von Tripp
- Brachall (no surname)
- Gabrielle Murdock
- Sergei Chou
- Theo Cramer
- Una Bradley
Gangsters After the Jihad, the problems around Solaris City increased with the return or refugges. At that time, the government struck a devil's bargain in 3072 with the surviving Mafia and with surviving elements and the Triad and Tongs, which became the effective overlords of the refugee camps. The Yakuza had been virtually annihilated in the 3071 fighting.
The Mafia is the single most powerful and dangerous criminal entity on Solaris VII. The Bertoli Mafia family is in charge of Solaris Mafia, though there is also another big competitor ,the Gambelli), and several other smaller families (with ties to other planets) have operations in Solaris. On 3051, the Bertolli familiy was at war with the Red Cobra triad.
- Martin Bialistock: He has been the leader of the Bertoli from 3033 to at least 3051. Martin is canny, intelligent and sophisticated, known for his excellent taste in food, clothing, books and art.
- Theo Cramer is a major capo that doubles as 'Mech broker, giving the Bertoli family an edge on protection, smuggling, drug and gambling rackets.
- Christopher Smith - Is a Mafia boss belonging to a family with roots on Lyran State but not related to the Bertolli family. In his actions they try to blame the Federated Suns just to fuel the FedCom Civil War. He is known for his expensive tastes. He is a leader element of the Pocopo Stables from the Solaran League of Independent Stables.
- Ivan Toviesh, who works for the Bertoli, is the manager of Raven's Roost and a crack shot, defending Cathay's office in 3051 from the Red Cobras tong band.
- Morris Chastain, a mid-level bookie from Montenegro.
Several Yakuza families operates on Solaris, though competition between them is low. There are four big Yakuza families in Solaris VII, among them the Hamagachi Clan. Their enemies are the triads and the Bertoli.
Triads and Tongs
The weakest of the big three, there are several Triads and Tongs working in each sector of Solaris City: Unlike Mafia and Yakuza, it is not strange to have the Triads and Tongs fighting between themselves.
- The Demons (Kobe, Black Hills)
- The Eternal Flames (Montenegro and Silesia)
- The Heavenly Warriors (Cathay, Montenegro)
- Hundred Swordsmen (Cathay)
- Red Cobras (Cathay and Silesia)
- The Steel Brothers (Kobe)
- Shad Greenville, ruthless triad leader and his bodyguards make huge profit with his local, The Bitter Pool in Cathay.
- Xun Li Binh is the leader of the Hundred Swordsmen. He lives in the Maze (an unusual move on Cathay's gangsters) so he can better control his operations. He is always escorted by his personal bodyguards, the Hundred Swordsmen from which the gang takes its name.
- Li Ban is a major operative of the Red Cobras that runs The Kirin in Cathay.
The Bloods are a group of male-dominated gangs. Bloods usually cooperate between them. They hate the Yakuza with passion and the sentiment is reciprocate. Violence between the two groups is near-continuous.
Dozens, even maybe hundred smaller gangs also exist in Solaris. Usually found in the outlands or smaller cities.
- Black Hats - destroyed in 3068.
- The Dead
- The Highwaymen, renamed as Szabian's Renegades in 3067 and destroyed in 3068.
- The Orphans
- The Pentastars
- Terminators - a now defunct gang operating in Xolara.
In the Inner Sphere there are spies, and the reality has shown everybody that all powers try to spy on their enemies: House against House, Corporation against Corporation... Solaris VII is no different. But here, the espionage work is usually between Stables.
Ghost is the term used in Solaris to identify spies. Simply said, a ghost is there to spy to you out-of-towners. The usual tactic is to infiltrate the ghost as part of the other Stable's team, is possible as a MechWarrior.
These are the Warriors that believe in nothing but their own abilities and who came to Solaris VII to seek fortune in the Solaris Games. Every year lots of them come to the planet, their skills are unquestioned, but that is not enough in Solaris. If they are not able to control their pride, they will fall... and around Solaris VII pitfalls lurk around every corner. And that without taking into account the dark side of the Games.
As in most places, there is always somebody with access to desired knowledge. People who know people, who know whatever somebody might be interested in. In Solaris where Solaris Games information is also a relevant commodity, some elements work with.
Known Information Dealers
Mechbunny, though occasionally they can go to some dangerous extremes to be with/touch the subjects of their adoration.
Master/Ace Technicians are a must in every BattleMech equipped Unit, but on Solaris, where customization and high tech is the norm, some of the best techs in the Inner Sphere can be found. Some of them have opened their own small facilities/shops. Others are used to work directly at the Stable's facilities.
Known Mech Facilities
- Cy's 'Mech City in the International Zone.
- Danner's Spare Parts in Montenegro.
- Falcher's Repair in Silesia.
- Innovative Design Concepts
- Kramer's Parts and Machinery in Burgton
- Macami's Place in Cathay.
- Matani's 'Mechs in Xolara.
- 'Mech Sales in Black Hills.
- Nashan Diversified
- Omnitech Industries
- O'Neil BattleMechs in Xolara.
- Rakker's Machine Shop in Burgton
- Ryder's Modifications in Burgton.
- Silverlake Customs somewhere in Solaris City.
- Snorkel's in Bracken Swamp.
- Tekshop in Kobe.
- Vining Engineering and Salvage Team in Xolara.
Known Independent Mech Techs
MediaSolaris VII attracks them as honey to bees. Media is mostly focused in the Solaris Games and all who gravitate along it. Their work is also more dangerous as in other planets, with from official to more fuzzy people looking upon them just to "decide" if their life has to be forfeit or not.
Solaris Known Media
- Larzellier Communications
- Solaran Spectator
- Solaris Broadcasting Corporation
- Solaris Enquirer
- Solaris Games Enthusiast
- Solaris Gameworld Broadcasting
- Solaris Sentinel & Review
- Solaris Times
- Wave 59 Action News
- Sharona Avner - Reporter working for Free Worlds News Service
- Darryl Bergstrom - Reporter from Solaris Broadcasting Corporation
- Kiva Cooper - Pulitzer Prize winning Reporter, working for the Solaris Broadcasting Corporation. She was present in the first Word of Blake attack during the Jihad covering the event direct.
- Duncan "Grazer" Croft - Editor-in-Chief of the Solaris Games Enthusiast on December 3077
- Barbara Emerson - Reporter working for the Solaris Broadcasting Corporation
- Cal Helmway - Reporter working for Free Worlds News Service
- Tim Jackman - Reporter from the SBC active after the WoB Jihad in Solaris VII.
- Gwen Klornax - Co-Anchor of the Contender Spotlight, a program by Solaris Gameworld Broadcasting on 3136.
- Adam Kristof - A reporter from the Federated Broadcasting Corporation assigned to Solaris and covering the 3062 Grand Tournament.
- Janet Lynn-Doyle from the Solaris Sentinel & Review in 3067.
- Julian Nero - Anchor from the Donegal Broadcasting Company, present on Solaris City, during 12th August 3062 match in the Steiner Stadium that tipped the Solaris Riots.
- Lars Olafson - Anchor, working for the Solaris Broadcasting Corporation
- Tanya Oshia - Reporter from the Kobe Information Network.
- David Parmenter - Co-Anchor of the Contender Spotlight, a program by Solaris Gameworld Broadcasting on 3136.
- Edgar Phiebus, Jr. - Anchor, working for the Solaris Broadcasting Corporation
- Ervin Rebelke - The famous Class Six Champions become a sports commentator on holovid show MechTalk, replacing its long-time host Todd Richards when he retired after his defeat in the 3067 Grand Tournament.
- Todd Richards - Host of the MechTalk show, working for DBC Studios.
- Veronica Sherman - The ace video journalist from Solaris Broadcasting Corporation covering the 3062 Grand Tournament.
- Paula Slater - Sportscaster from Solaris Broadcasting Corporation in 3053.
- Dennis Stanzio - An SBC anchor during the Dark Age
- Lana Turvy - Anchor of the Wave 59 Action News during the Dark Age.
- Mason Wells - The Black Hills anchorman, second most popular journalist during the Solaris Riots
- William "Eclipse" Wrigley Jr. from the Solaris Sentinel & Review in 3067.
They could be noblemen or businessmen, but whatever the case, they are the people willing to invest in a 'Mech Stable (but without actually becoming the owners) or to invest in a private team of operatives, or directly with an specific MechWarrior. As such, they are essential to life in Solaris, even more for those MechWarriors seeking fame in the arenas.
The men and women operating/owning the Solaris VII stables. Most of them are known for thinking that their word is law (something that inside their Stables it is true).
Known Stable Masters
For a list of fighting stables and cooperatives, see here. Inside each of them references for the Stable Masters can be found.
- MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII, p. 89 "Fixer"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 35 "Cathay - Miscellaneous"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player Book, p. 41 "Montenegro - Miscellaneous"
- Main Event, "Chapter 6"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 42 "Silesia - Miscellaneous"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 38 "Kobe - Miscellaneous"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 31 "Black Hills - Miscellaneous"
- Unbound, p. 46 "Yakuza of Solaris"
- A Time of War, p.382-385 "Solaris VII"
- Total Chaos p. 100-101-102 "Solaris VII"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 19 "Mafia"
- MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII, p. 110 "Back into the Fire"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 33 "Hotels"
- Gilgamesh Stables, p. 4, 'Stable Master Hector Rivera'
- "A Guy Walks Into a Bar on Solaris VII..."
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 20 "Triads"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 33-35 "Entertainment"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 20 "Bloods"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 20 "Independent Gangs"
- Solaris: The Reaches, p. 9 "Gangs and Stables - The Dead"
- Solaris: The Reaches, p. 9 "Gangs and Stables - The Highwaymen"
- Solaris Gamemaster's Book, p. 31, "Gang Encounters"
- Solaris: The Reaches, p. 10 "Gangs and Stables - The Pentastars"
- Solaris: The Reaches, p. 15-16 "Xolara - City Administration"
- Main Event, p. 41 "Chapter 8"
- MechWarriors Guide to Solaris VII p. 86 "Hotshot Pilot"
- Solaris: The Reaches, p. 26-27 "Burgton - Dowagiac"
- Unbound, p. 10 "Mechbunny"
- Mechwarrior's Guide to Solaris VII, p88-89 Mechbunny
- MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII, pp. 128-133 "Location Index"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player Book, p. 41 "Montenegro - 'Mech Tech"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 42 "Silesia - 'Mech Tech"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 147, "Innovative Design Concepts Profile"
- "Solaris: The Reaches", p. 27 "North Pier"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 35 "Cathay - 'Mech Tech"
- "Solaris: The Reaches", p. 24 "Xolara - 'Mech Tech"
- "Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 31 "Black Hills - 'Mech Tech"
- MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII, pp. 128-133 "Location Index"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 148, "Omnitech Industries (Not Trading) Profile"
- "Solaris: The Reaches", p. 26 "Dowagiac"
- Wolf Hunters
- "Solaris: The Reaches", p. 26-27 "Bracken Swamp - Rowe"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 38 "Kobe - 'Mech Tech"
- Solaris: The Reaches, p. 64 Media representative
- Mech (magazine) - Issue One
- BattleCorps: INN Newscast (ScandalVids section), news item published [19/06/3067]: "Celebrity Leader Stress-Relief Techniques Revealed!"
- "Experimental Technical Readout: Gladiators"
- Hendry Vs. Metz; record sheet published in the Heavy Metal Mayhem scenario
- A Shot at Glory
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player Book, p. 40 "Montenegro - Information"
- Dawn of the Jihad, p. 51 "Burning Fist - Solaris Attacked!"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p.29 "Alliance in Turmoil - The Show Must Go On!"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 11 "Reconstruction Deconstruction"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Book", p. 24 "International Zone - Information"
- All in a Day's Work - Part 3 - Solaris VII
- "Blood Price"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 66 "History of the Lyran Alliance - FLASHPOINT"
- Illusions of Victory, "Chapter 17"
- Dawn of the Jihad, p. 66 "Burning Fist - Retraction - Long Odds for Duke Robert"
- Mappack: Solaris VII, p. 14 "The Game World Revisited - Welcome to Solaris! - Let the Games Begin! - Recent Standings"
- Illusions of Victory, p. 10 Chapter 1
- Illusions of Victory, p. 31 Chapter 6
- Unbound, p. 20-21, "Challenge Match"
- Dark Age: 3132-3134 INN, p. 120-121 "Blackstar’s Kirkpatrick Claims 3132 S7 Championship"
- Illusions of Victory, Chapter 12
- MechWarriors Guide to Solaris VII p. 6 "Patrons"
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook, p. 42 "Silesia - Points of Interest"
- MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII, p. 87 "StableMaster"
- Unbound, p. 11 "Sycophant"
- Unbound, p. 11 "Wannabe"
- Main Event
- Blood Price
- Wolf Hunters
- Illusions of Victory
- MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII
- Solaris VII: The Game World - Player's Handbook
- Solaris: The Reaches
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070
- Dawn of the Jihad
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Total Chaos
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gladiators
- BattleCorps: INN Newscast (Solaris Broadcasting Co. section), news item published [19/06/3067]: "Celebrity Leader Stress-Relief Techniques Revealed!"
- Stable Report: Gilgamesh Stables