|Manufacturer||Norse-Storm BattleMechs Inc.|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Norse XT-Light Type AE Endo Steel|
|Engine||Magna 245 XL|
|Communications System||AR-12 Sheathed Directional Beacon w/Guardian ECM Suit|
|Targeting Tracking System||DLK Type Phased Array Sensor System|
|Heat Sinks||11 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||HildCo Model 11c|
The Spector was originally designed by Norse Technologies to be a lighter version of the Exterminator BattleMech, made to hunt down light command 'Mechs. The first Spector rolled off the assembly line on 6 June, 2639, and following extensive testing the SLDF ordered 600. The Star League's enthusiasm for the Spector is due to the BattleMechs stealth capabilities, combining both Chameleon Light Polarization Shield and a Null Signature System. This first order for the SPR-4F was delivered in April 2640. All Spectors, and all reports on them, were believed lost with the fall of the Star League. Only in 3048 rumors spread that the mercenary units McCarron's Armored Cavalry and Storm's Metal Thunder were fielding Spectors, presumably recovered from an ancient cache, although neither admitted to fielding vintage Star League era 'Mechs.
The Spector was originally designed to use the advanced Null Signature System, able to hide the Spector's radar and heat signatures, and Chameleon Light Polarization Shield, capable of obscuring the BattleMech's appearance. However, these technologies were lost during the Succession Wars and have not yet been replicated. The current incarnation of the Spector, SPR-5F, does not carry a Null Signature System nor the Chameleon LPS.
Weapons and Equipment
Even without its advanced stealth capabilities, the Spector that Norse-Storm BattleMechs reintroduced in 3053 is an impressive light 'Mech. The Spector has a weight saving Magna 245 XL engine that gives it a top speed of 118.8 km/h. The Spector is also built on a Norse XT-Light Type AE Endo Steel chassis and carries seven and a half tons of Starshield Light armor. Seven HildCo Model 11c jump jets provide a jumping capability of up to two hundred and ten meters, giving it a great deal of mobility. The Spector carries a Norse Guardian ECM Suite that allows it to defend itself against advanced enemy targeting and range finding equipment.
The Spector carries a Nightwind Large Laser as its primary weapon. This is backed up by a pair of Defiance B3M Medium Lasers and a single Defiance B4S Small Laser for close combat. While most consider this a light weapons payload for a 35 ton 'Mech, the Spector's superior mobility and mission profile do not require a very heavy weapons payload.
- At the urging of then-Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion, Norse-Storm opened up talks with Shengli Arms to secure Stealth Armor for the light 'Mech. Though the deal did not work out exactly as they had hoped, the 5S incorporates Stealth Armor. Space constraints force the consolidation of the Medium Lasers into one Medium Pulse Laser. BV (1.0) = 967, BV (2.0) = 1,166
- A more radical variant removes the jump jets and mounts an ER Large Laser and twin ER Medium Lasers. It retains the Stealth Armor and Guardian ECM, but adds a Targeting Computer to make the lasers more accurate. MASC enables the ST to move in bursts up to 151 km/h. BV (1.0) = 1,044, BV (2.0) = 1,522
Original SPR-5F Spector from McCarron's Armored Cavalry
Spector from TRO:3058
SPR-5F Spector in combat from CCG
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 206-207, "Spector Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 168
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 227
- Technical Readout: 3058, p. 102, "Spector"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 228
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 169
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 229
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 170
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 230
- McCarron's Armored Cavalry (scenario pack), p. 21