|Chassis||Bergan Version 12.6 Endo Steel|
|Communications System||Garret L20|
|Targeting Tracking System||RCA Instatrac Mark IX|
|Heat Sinks||20 Double heat sinks|
The Kodiak is a fast Assault 'Mech designed by Clan Ghost Bear as a second-line counterpart to the Gladiator. Though not taken to the same extreme as other Clan Totem 'Mechs, the Kodiak does epitomize the Ghost Bears' method of warfare, combining an impressive defensive platform with surprising amounts of speed and firepower. Its massive 400-rated XL Engine propels the Kodiak to a maximum speed of 64.8 km/h, while seventeen and a half tons of Compound 12A2 gives it impressive armor protection. Though it mounts an incredible amount of firepower, even the use of twenty double heat sinks cannot prevent overheating problems when they are all fired simultaneously, though most MechWarriors learn to use their weapons sparingly and love the 'Mech's ability to deliver a massive knockout punch. The Kodiak incorporates the Garret L20 as its communications system, and uses the RCA Instatrack Mark IX for targeting, however the "claws" mounted on both of its arms are purely aesthetic.
The vast majority of Kodiaks are used by the Ghost Bears, and indeed was exclusive to them in the first years since its introduction. Of those which are found in other toumans, Clan Snow Raven has the largest share, payment for their help in relocating to the Inner Sphere, followed by Clan Goliath Scorpion and Clan Cloud Cobra. Among the Crusader Clans though, only Clan Ice Hellion fields a handful of these 'Mechs. As a interesting note, and proof of the expansion of the Kodiak, at least two of these mechs were found in Smoke Jaguar unit in planet Asgard, during Operation Bulldog.
Weapons and Equipment
The Kodiak's primary armament consists of devastating short-range weaponry; namely the single Series II Ultra AC/20 occupying its entire right torso, and twin Streak SRM-6s situated in the left torso. These powerful weapons enable the Kodiak to savage any foe, but care must be taken with the limited ammunition at the MechWarrior's disposal. The 'Mech supplements its primary weaponry with eight Series 2a ER Medium Lasers, four above each hand set into a claw-like array. The ER Medium Lasers, powered by the fusion power plant, provide hefty firepower long after the ammunition bays have run dry. While the Kodiak is a cruel opponent close up, it is far from defenseless at long-range; mounted directly beneath the engine is a Series 7k ER Large Laser, allowing it to soften up targets as it advances for the kill.
- Kodiak 2
- A more mobile variant that first saw action during the Combine-Ghost Bear War on Richmond, the Kodiak 2 was an attempt to solve the original's heat problem and increase its mobility by mounting jump jets, enabling it to leap up to one hundred and twenty meters, in place of four medium lasers and one missile launcher. BV (1.0) = 2,687, BV (2.0) = 2,856
- Kodiak 3
- This variant created by Clan Snow Raven in the mid-3060s turns the Kodiak into an anti-aircraft platform. Removing all but four of the arm-mounted medium lasers and reducing the number of heat sinks to fourteen freed up room for a pair of LB-X Autocannon/20s, three tons of ammo each, and an advanced targeting computer. BV (1.0) = 2,178, BV (2.0) = 2,615
- Though powerful , the original Kodiak lacked sufficient long range weaponry and did not come close to mounting its full compliment of armor. In 3095, saKhan Ragnar of Clan Ghost Bear tasked the technician caste with developing a variant that would resolves these setbacks. The new version sports 2 Type XX "Great Bow" missile launchers LRM-20, 1 Type X "Short Bow" launcher LRM-10, 1 Clan Mk. VIII ER PPC and replaces the 8 Medium Lasers with 8 series I ER Small Lasers. This version also adds jump jets to the design, allowing the 'Mech to jump over 90 meters.
- Kodiak Cale
- The Mech of the 2nd Dieron Regulars' commander, Tai-sa Cale Schultz-Tanaka, the Kodiak Cale was recovered from a battlefield on Dieron and re-equipped with Inner Sphere and Clan technologies. Keeping the standard Clan Endo-Steel chassis and double heat sinks, techs replaced the XL engine with a standard unit. This reduced the 'Mech's top speed to 54 km/h, but increased survivability. Most of the Clan weaponry was also removed: Only a trio of Clan ER Medium Lasers in the left arm and a pair of Streak SRM 6 launchers in the left torso remain. The Kodiak Cale uses an Autocannon/10 and Heavy PPC for its main hitting power. These are backed up by the Clan weapons and a pair of Inner Sphere ER Medium Lasers and a pair of Inner Sphere Medium Lasers. The most important addition to the Cale version is the electronics suite: A Beagle Active Probe in the right torso spots enemy forces, while a C3 Master computer in the left torso allows the Kodiak Cale to feed targeting data to supporting units. BV (2.0) = 2,511.
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- KDK-SB "Spirit Bear"
- A customized variant of the Kodiak. The Spirit Bear, supposedly piloted by Laurie Tseng, is a take on what could have been if MASC was compatible for the venerable Totem Mech. The Spirit Bear uses an of ER Medium Laser. The left torso carries three Streak SRM-6s with two tons ammo. The center torso also carries a Streak SRM-6 as a backup weapon. The right arm carries a single ER Medium Laser. In the right torso, an Ultra Autocannon/10 with two tons of ammo and MASC, while the left leg carries a pair of Streak SRM ammo. 
- Executioner (Gladiator) - The Executioner was used as a part of Clan Ghost Bear's project to create the first Totem Mech with MASC. However, because the Kodiak was incompatible with the MASC system, the design was splintered to a new project.
- Kodiak II - The Kodiak II was the Ghost Bear Dominion's upgrade of the venerable BattleMech during the post-Jihad era.
- Breedfelt: Mechwarrior of clan Ghost Bear trinary of Stalking Bears, garrisoning the planet Toffen in 3062, killed in a fight against clan Wolf, during a trial of possession of the planet.
- MUL online date for the Kodiak
- Combat Operations, p. 113
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 194-195
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 350
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 207
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrade, p. 355
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 351
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 208
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrade, p. 356
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 352
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 209
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 210
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 211
- Jihad Turning Points: Dieron, p. 19. Kodiak Cale record sheet.
- MechWarrior Online - "Kodiak"
- Roar of Honor p. 70
- Combat Operations
- Invading Clans
- Jihad Turning Points: Dieron
- Master Unit List
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Geoff Bekker's dossier from the MWDA's counterassault
- Rotem Fridberg's dossier from the MWDA's counterassault