Star Lord (JumpShip class)
|Star Lord Class JumpShip|
|Manufacturer||SelaSys Inc., Universal Air, Stellar Trek|
|Sail Diameter||1140 meters|
|Fuel||100 tons (250)|
|Top Thrust||0.1 Gs|
|KF Drive Integrity||6|
|Grav Decks||1 x 110 meters diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||6 Escape Pods|
|Heat Sinks||0 + 130|
The sheer expense of acquiring and maintaining a Star Lord class JumpShip, combined with the scarcity of spare parts, has ensured a decline in numbers throughout the Inner Sphere for this class. The Draconis Combine produces one and the Free Worlds League two of these increasingly rare ships annually. They serve almost exclusively as military vessels.
The six Docking collars on a Star Lord are equipped with grapples that guide approaching DropShips and can even reel in DropShips of up to 10,000 tons in mass. This makes the Star Lord useful for rescue operations of damaged craft, and most Successor States maintain several Star Lords solely for recovery operations.
The crew quarters on a Star Lord are notable for luxury not seen on any other starship. All 30 crew members have well furnished single occupancy rooms with private washrooms and automated food-preparation systems. The passenger quarters are not as luxurious, but still superior to most DropShip bunks.
Star Lords are known for problems with Jump Sail deployment. They also have rather small fusion engines which means quick-charging their jump drive takes at least 48 hours.
Star Lords are unarmed and while they can carry fighters in their small craft bays, they rarely do so. For defense, they rely on their DropShips and the Inner Sphere custom of not attacking Jumpships.
The standard Star Lord has hangars for four Small Craft. It has been described as being able to carry 661 tons of cargo in six large cargo bays which are situated next to the DropShip docking collars. However, this cargo capacity is inaccurate under the current construction rules, which leave the Star Lord with only about 270 tons of dedicated cargo. This discrepancy may be viewed as a legacy error from earlier rulesets when Jumpship construction rules were not yet fully fleshed out, if at all.
In addition, 50 staterooms are reserved for visitors or passengers.
Variants and Apocryphal Errors
Although no major variants are known, there are significant differences among the various sources describing the Star Lord owing to inconsistent, contradictory, and often erroneous application of different rulesets at different times:
- In DropShips and JumpShips, the drive integrity is given as 5 and provides incomplete stats with 13,740 tons of mass unaccounted for; the six 500-ton cargo bays and bunks for 50 passengers are mentioned in the text but not on the in the stats.
- The Technical Readout: 3057 does mention the six cargo bays with their 500 ton capacity, but the stats printed give only 60 tons of cargo space overall.
- The Technical Readout: 3057 Revised keeps the same six cargo bays but the cargo capacity for each is 100 tons and the printed stats list 661 tons.
- The Mercenary's Handbook 3055 gives the small craft capacity as six, not four.
Star Lord Ship Gallery
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 275
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, pp. 104-105