- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|Stephen Edward Liao|
Duke of Lorient
|Parents||Arden Liao (father)|
|Children|| Jasmine Liao|
Son of Arden Liao and nephew of Chancellor Aleisha Liao, Stephen Liao was Duke of St. Lorient when he came into power as Chancellor. The young Duke felt that his predecessor Arden Baxter had run the CCAF into ineffectiveness. He felt that the CCAF would be unable to overcome the challenges he saw on the horizon. Chancellor Liao, or sometimes known as "Sir Stephen" committed to a complete re-organization of the CCAF.
The re-organization, which he personally had a hand in, was a long and thorough process. He wanted the army to be the best-equipped and best-fed in the Inner Sphere. He also wanted to improve the army's morale and fighting skills.
The future development of the Overlord and Union Class DropShips can be traced to his re-organization of military in 2430s. He invested heavily into the Maskirovka to make it a more effective organization.
However, Sir Stephen's investments into the army cost the nobility of his era considerable wealth. While rest of his nation average citizen's quality of life suffered with poor education, heavy taxes and new universal ceiling for all wages paid to them.
During his reign, he was viewed as an egotistical man who only focused his efforts in developing his "pet" army.
His reign ended when he succumbed to a bad case of pneumonia.
Titles and Positions
|Duke of Liao
| Succeeded by|
|Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation
| Succeeded by|
- In the original text from sourcebook, cites him having his efforts creating the Union and Overlord class DropShips which were, in canon, produced hundred years later.
- In the original text, St. Lorient is cited as the name of his duchy, however it is possible this was a typo in the article describing his reign, due to the original book's Planet Guide not listing this world, but its spelling being very similar to St. Loris.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 34
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 163 (PDF), "The Capellan Confederation's Line of Succession and Partial Liao Family Tree": Stephen's years of birth, death and reign