|Cost||13,925,934 C-bills|
|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Targeting Tracking System||unknown|
While Randall N. Bills had issued a ruling as Catalyst Game Labs' incumbent BattleTech Line Developer to the effect that all Hero 'Mech background information from MWO is considered canonical for (CGL) BattleTech, Assistant Line Developer Ray "Adrian Gideon" Arrastia later expressly clarified that the original designs from PGI are not canonical, regardless of any Hero 'Mechs or Hero 'Mech fluff associated with them. (There had been no original designs by PGI when Randall Bills made his ruling, which Ray Arrastia upheld when initially queried about the canonicity of the new original PGI designs though he later added the aforementioned caveat.)
As a result, the Sun Spider design is exempt from the canonization of MWO Hero 'Mechs and remains apocryphal.
While only entering production proper in the wake of Operation REVIVAL, the Sun Spider originated centuries earlier, in the years following Clan Coyote's introduction of the OmniMech concept. Clan Goliath Scorpion recognized the game-changing nature of the technology, but repeatedly lost every Trial trying to acquire it as the Coyotes pressed their technological advantage. Shamed by their continued losses, the Scorpions' then-Scientist-General Patkirk took matters into his own hands, opening secret discussions with former Clan Widowmaker elements within Clan Wolf's Scientist Caste, playing on the shame they still felt for the actions of their former Clan and the Scorpion's honorable dealings in the Widowmaker Absorption to guilt them into sharing OmniMech data as an act of surkairede.
Recognizing his Warrior Caste would be incensed with how he acquired the data in an unClan-like fashion, but gambling that supplying the still desperately needed Omni technology would mitigate this dishonor, Patkirk secretly initiated development of what he would proudly name the Sun Spider. Unfortunately, without the full manufacturing and scientific might of Clan Goliath Scorpion, the prototype was heavily flawed, most notably requiring far longer than average to swap out its OmniPods. When the Scorpion warriors finally acquired salvageable OmniMechs during an honorable raid against Clan Fire Mandrill's Kindraa Payne, a humiliated Patkirk quietly buried the Sun Spider to focus on reverse engineering new Scorpion machines.
Each successive Goliath Scorpion Scientist-General knew of this dark secret in their Clan's history, but all chose to keep that secret until the matériel losses of the REVIVAL era convinced the modern holder of the post to reveal the existence of the Sun Spider to his leaders. The shocked Khan eventually ordered that it enter limited production as a way to jumpstart manufacturing of a new OmniMech, with centuries of know-how to solve the original's design flaws.
Weapons and Equipment
Weighing in at seventy tons, the Sun Spider makes use of all weight-saving technology available to the Goliath Scorpions in the Revival era. Comparing favorably to other Clan staples such as the Summoner, the Sun Spider is built around a 350-rated extralight fusion engine which propels it to 81.0 km/h, while an Endo Steel frame saves weight for fourteen Double Heat Sinks and thirty-one tons of pod space. The design's defensive coverage suffers somewhat for that offensive payload, with the Sun Spider clad in just nine and half tons of ferro-fibrous plating.
The Sun Spider Prime is built for short-range combat and carries a pair of Streak SRM-6 launchers in each arm, supported at range by Ultra AC/10 and an ER Large Laser in the right and left torsos, respectively. Two tons of Ultra Autocannon reloads and three tons of Streak SRM missiles are more than adequate for Clan Trials.
- Alternate Configuration B
- A mixed-range combatant, the Sun Spider B is built around a right-torso mounted Gauss rifle, supported by a left-torso ER large laser and matched Streak SRM-6 and ER medium lasers in each arm. An anti-missile system and a light active probe in the left torso prevent the B from being caught unaware, carrying two tons of Gauss and Streak reloads, along with a single ton of AMS ammo and an extra double heat sink.
- Alternate Configuration D
- An short-ranged brawler, the Sun Spider D carries a mammoth Ultra AC/20 in each arm, with just a pair of Heavy Machine Guns in the right torso as supporting weapons. Lacking in ranged weapons, an ECM Suite is fitted in the left torso to try and assist in closing with its foes so it can make full use of the four tons of Ultra ammunition and single ton HMG bin.
- SNS-ML Sun Spider 'Manul'
- The custom loadout of Star Colonel Tabok of the Fourth Scorpion Cuirassiers, the 'Manul' Hero 'Mech is a ranged energy boat with an ER PPC and ER Large Laser in each arm. Its only other weapon is an ER Small Laser in the left torso. 'Manul' is fitted with AMS and single ton of reloads, the remaining weight devoted to nine extra double heat sinks.
- SNS-VG Sun Spider 'Vanguard'
- Second of three Hero 'Mechs for the Sun Spider, the Vanguard mounts an LB 5-X AC in each side torso alongside a left-torso mounted ER PPC, for close range support a single Streak SRM-2 in the left and a pair of Streak SRM-4 in the right arm are carried. Three tons each of LB-X and Streak ammunition provide good field endurance.
- SNS-AMB Sun Spider 'Ambush'
- Third of three Hero 'Mechs for the Sun Spider, the Ambush mounts a symmetrical loadout of an Ultra AC/10 in each arm, along with two ER Medium Lasers for each side torso. 4 tons of ammunition for both Ultra Autocannons is enough for medium-intensity battles. An extra heat sink in the right torso helps keep the "Ambush" cool during engagements.
- Archived here, with reference: Talk:MechWarrior Online#Randall Bills ruling
- In this posting on the official BattleTech Forum by Ray "Adrian Gideon" Arrastia, regarding the canon status of PGI-exclusive 'Mechs for which record sheets had been brought to Mech_Con 2018: "Those sheets are not official and those designs are not canon for the tabletop. CGL cannot use the PGI-created designs, no matter what “part” CGL or its employees play in the creation of the designs. When asked for confirmation, Randall and Brent stated that those were provided by a demo agent and they allowed it *this time only* as part of the hype at Mech_Con."
- In this thread on the official BattleTech Forum
- MechWarrior Online "Sun Spider Lore"
- MechWarrior Online Sun Spider Store Page
- MechWarrior Online "Holiday Bonus Info"
- MechWarrior Online "Rival Pack"