Talk:8th Lyran Regulars
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
Here is the lead up to the forming of the 8th Lyran Regulars from Battletech: First Succession War. Page 111:
- [cut out ~4,000 word excerpt from sourcebook for copyright concerns] Frabby (talk) 22:03, 8 January 2017 (PST)
You guys can add this the way you want to the actual wiki article, but that is the direct quote from the book along with the page number. --Ravion Hawk
- Uh, Ravion Hawk, please don't get me wrong but you cannot simply post a short-story sized excerpt from a commercial and copyrighted sourcebook here. That definitely doesn't fall under "fair use" for citations. The whole idea of this wiki is to provide overviews and encyclopedic summaries in your own words, without infringing on the IP owner's (CHL's) legitimate interest to sell their sourcebooks. While I appreciate the effort you put into this, I had to remove the text again. I hope you understand. Frabby (talk) 22:03, 8 January 2017 (PST)
I don't remember putting up before the other night. If I did, my sincerest apologies.
The only reason I put that excerpt here in the discussion was so that someone with better wiki experience would have it right there to work with to do the update to the actual wiki article then remove it from the discussion.
I've seen it done on other wikis that I visit where a plebian (like me) finds the information, sticks it into the discussion portion, one of the seasoned wiki editors double checks the source, then uses what they can to summarize an update and then sources it.
My apologies for just trying to help. --Rav