- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
- This article is about the BattleMech. For other uses, see Talon (disambiguation).
|Manufacturer||Blackstone BattleMechs, Ltd.|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Blackstone QTS Light|
|Armor||Kallon Light Shield A|
|Engine||Edasich Motors 280 XL|
|Communications System||Lockheed/CBM Comset 100|
|Targeting Tracking System||Sturmfeur Highlight with BlindFire Radar|
|Heat Sinks||11 Double Heat Sinks|
The Talon was first deployed in 2670 to provide light BattleMech companies much needed long-range firepower and punch. The BattleMech was wildly successful, with sales to the Star League High Command quickly surpassing all other light BattleMechs. The success of the Talon outlived the first Star League, but the BattleMech was never able to flourish during the First Succession War, as the rate of attrition equalled the rate of production. When the Inarcs facility was nuked in 2815, the fate of the Talon was sealed. The last Talon was cannibalized for parts during the first year of the Second Succession War, 2830.
Weapons and Equipment
The Talon is intended to act as a long-range sniper for light units. To carry out this mission, the Talon was upgraded with a Lord's Light 2 ER PPC that gives it a reach of just under seven hundred meters. For defense at close ranges, the Talon has two ChisComp 39 Medium Lasers that give it enough protection to defend itself from most other light 'Mechs.
Talon BattleMechs are also fleet of foot, with a top speed of 129.6 km/h, allowing it to keep up with almost any light 'Mech in existence. The Talon is able to reach this speed through the use of an Edasich Motors 280 XL engine. The 'Mech is armored with seven and a half tons of Kallon Light Shield A armor, which provides a respectable amount of protection against enemy fire. It also has eleven double heat sinks to handle the high heat load from its weapons payload.
- This is downgraded variant once fielded at it's factory on New Oslo. It's best known used in the defense of the Factory. Only a few of these designs remaining in service by the time they fought against Clan Wolf's Invasion in July 3050. This downgraded variant used standard engine, with regular armor. It has single PPC in the right arm for range combat. Backing the PPC up is pair of pair of Medium Lasers in the left arm. This design has no lower arms allowing it to flip it's weapons. BV (2.0)=977
- This variant replaces the engine with a Light Engine that can only propel the Talon up to 119 km/h, but is cheaper and more durable. The 5Z also makes use of an Endo Steel chassis and Ferro-Fibrous armor to make up the difference in mass. The armament is replaced with a pair of arm-mounted ER Large Lasers, though the loss of a heat sink forces the MechWarrior to carefully manage his or her heat. A C3 Slave Unit is included so that the Talon can be incorporated into a C3 lance. This variant proved unpopular in the Lyran Alliance, so Blackstone exports it to the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns. BV (1.0) = 939, BV (2.0) = 1,168
In German products the unit's proper name was altered to Fang, which in German designates the whole foot of a bird of prey. The model code was accordingly changed to FNG-5W.
Original Talon from TRO:3058
- Technical Readout: 3058, p. 104, "Talon"
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 208-209, "Talon 'Mech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 171
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 231
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 232
- Scorched Earth WWE 2017 (TW & AS), p. 13 - New Old Variant include in product scenario.
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 172
- Master Unit List.pdf
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 191
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 67