|Manufacturer||Corean Enterprises (MacAdams-Suharno)|
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Engine||Nissan 200 XL|
|Communications System||Garret T10B|
|Targeting Tracking System||Corean CalcMaster|
|Heat Sinks||10 double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Rawlings 75|
The Tarantula was designed specifically for a reconnaissance role. The 'Mech is built around a massive Nissan 200 extralight engine, which provides the Tarantula with a top speed approaching 130 km/h. The 'Mech is also equipped with eight jump jets which can be used to propel the 'Mech up to 240 meters allowing the Tarantula to easily navigate rough terrain. The Tarantula is armored with four and a half tons of armor, while it only carries about three quarters of the theoretical maximum armor, the 'Mech's amazing speed makes the Tarantula capable of avoiding most damage.
Weapons and Equipment
The Tarantula carries a light armament that is common to a 'Mech of its size. The primary weapons are a pair of Magna Mk II medium lasers which give the Tarantula most of its striking power. These are backed up by a Hovertec Streak SRM-2 launcher, which allows the Tarantula to find any weak spots in an enemy's armor.
- A variant that looks to increase the Tarantula's life expectancy in an engagement, the 3A removed the medium lasers and the Streak SRM-2 launcher, as well as one jump jet. This free weight is used to mount a pair of medium pulse lasers, two additional tons of armor to increase its protection to six and a half tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 631, BV (2.0) = 702
- An extensive modification of the Tarantula, the 4A removes all of the weapons, the eight jump jets that give the Tarantula its incredible mobility, and modifies the structure to use an endo steel chassis. In the place of the removed weapons and equipment an ER PPC and a C3 slave unit have been added to the design, allowing it to use friendly targeting data making it an excellent sniper. The 'Mech has also had an additional half a ton of armor added. Finally, to make up for the lack of jump jets, the 'Mech has had a MASC system added, pushing the 'Mech's speed up to 172.8 km/h in short bursts. BV (1.0) = 771, BV (2.0) = 967
- The standard ZPH-1 model is sometimes referred to as the ZPH-1A.
- In German products, the unit's proper name was translated to Tarantel. The model code was accordingly changed to TRN-1L.
- MUL online date for the Tarantula
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 12
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 13
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 14
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 15
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 81
- BattleMech Manual, p. 95 BattleMech Quirk Table - Tarantula Entry.
- Technical Readout: 3055, p. 14