- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- MechCombat from Ralph H. Reed
- Catalyst, Coronavirus, And Clan Invasions - Interview With BattleTech Art Director Brent Evans
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Corean Enterprises (MacAdams-Suharno)|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Engine||Nissan 200 XL|
|Communications System||Garret T10B|
|Targeting Tracking System||Corean CalcMaster|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Rawlings 75|
The Tarantula was designed specifically for a reconnaissance role. The 'Mech is built around a massive Nissan 200 extralight engine. This provides the Tarantula with a top speed approaching 130 kph. The 'Mech is also equipped with eight jump jets which can be used to propel the 'Mech up to 240 meters allowing the Tarantula to easily navigate rough terrain. The Tarantula is armored with four and a half tons of armor. While it only carries about three quarters of the 'Mechs theoretical maximum armor, the 'Mech's amazing speed makes the Tarantula capable of avoiding most damage.
Weapons and Equipment
The Tarantula carries a light armament that is common to a 'Mech of its size. The primary weapons are a pair of Magna Mk II Medium Lasers which give the Tarantula most of its striking power. These are backed up by a Hovertec Streak SRM-2 launcher, which allows the Tarantula to find any weak spots in an enemy's armor.
- A variant that looks to increase the Tarantulas life span in an engagement, the 3A removed the Medium Lasers and the Streak SRM-2 launcher, as well as one jump jet. The weapons are replaced with a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers. The 'Mech uses the additional free weight to add two tons of armor, increasing its protection to six and a half tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 631, BV (2.0) = 702
- An extensive modification of the Tarantula, the 4A removes all of the weapons from the 'Mech and modifies the structure to use an Endo Steel chassis. Additionally, the eight jump jets that give the Tarantula its incredible mobility and all of the weapons have been removed. In the place of the removed weapons and equipment an ER PPC and a C3 slave unit have been added to the design, allowing it to use friendly targeting data making it an excellent sniper. The 'Mech has also had an additional half a ton of armor added. Finally, to make up for the lack of jump jets, the 'Mech has had a MASC system added, pushing the 'Mech's speed up to 172.8 kph in short bursts. BV (1.0) = 771, BV (2.0) = 967
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Tarantel. The model code was accordingly changed to TRN-1L.
- MUL online date for the Tarantula
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 12
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 13
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 14
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 15
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 81