- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Kirin MechWorks I|
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Type QMA Standard (Quad)|
|Armor||Forged Type HH32 with CASE|
|Engine||Fusion 255 Standard|
|Communications System||CH3V Series Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Version Kappa-III TTS|
|Heat Sinks||14 Double Heat Sinks|
Clan Hell's Horses originally conceived of the Thunder Stallion as a totem 'Mech, along the lines of the Mandrill. After the poor performance of other totem designs, however, that aspect was downplayed to the point that only the rear legs retain any of the equine aesthetic styling that was supposed to be such an important aspect of the 'Mech. True to the emphasis on combined arms warfare that the Horses value, the Thunder Stallion is an assault 'Mech that is designed to support what would be considered secondary forces in any other Clan. Since it was designed to work with infantry, the Thunder Stallion's top speed of 54 kph is roughly equivalent to the speed that an Elemental Battle Armor can move. The limited internal space inherent in quad 'Mechs forced the designers to use no weight-saving materials. This relatively inexpensive, durable design is protected by a whopping seventeen and a half tons of armor.
Weapons and Equipment
Ideal for working with spotters, the Thunder Stallion mounts four Type XV LRM-15 launchers and eight tons of ammunition for them. This gives the 'Mech a significant long-range punch that can be called down from behind cover. Perhaps the largest backup weapon ever is the Thunder Stallion's Type Mu LB 20-X AC. This massive gun is capable of defending against infantry or blowing holes in all but the most well-armored of opponents. Fourteen double heat sinks keep the 'Mech cooled down.
- Thunder Stallion 2
- This variant, introduced 2877 (also known as the Fire Stallion), lessens the ammunition dependency of the Thunder Stallion. It replaces the autocannon and its attendant ammunition with a pair of Large Pulse Lasers and two additional double heat sinks to handle the increased heat from the energy weapons. BV (1.0) = 2,153, BV (2.0) = 2,575
- Thunder Stallion 3
- Introduced during the Jihad in 3068, this variant of the 'Mech bases its capabilities on ballistic type weapons. Its main weapon is a Class 40 Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle with six tons of ammunition. The 'Mech's alternate weapons are a single ER Medium Laser and a Class 20 LB-X Autocannon with three tons of ammunition. This variant has also been given added protection in the form of an ECM Suite. BV (2.0) = 2,667
- MUL online date for the Thunder Stallion
- Combat Operations, p. 114
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 215
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 180-181, "Thunder Stallion 'Mech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 271
- MUL online entry for the Thunder Stallion 2
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 216
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 272
- MUL online entry for the Thunder Stallion 3
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 273 - New Thunder Stallion variant introduced during the Jihad.