Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Toland nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-115.773 : 431.382[e]|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Toland
- 4.1 Planetary History
- 4.2 Planetary Rulers
- 4.3 Military Deployment
- 4.4 Geography
- 4.5 Planetary Locations
- 5 Map Gallery
- 6 Nearby Systems
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
- ca. 2330 - Independent world 
- ca. 2334-2338 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2571 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2596 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2750 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2764 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2765 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2767 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2775 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Clan Jade Falcon (from March) 
- 3052 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3054 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3063 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3067 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3071 - Clan Ice Hellion (from August)/Clan Hell's Horses (from mid-November) 
- 3079 - Clan Hell's Horses 
- 3081 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3085 - Clan Hell's Horses 
- 3135 - Clan Hell's Horses 
- 3145 - Clan Hell's Horses 
Toland was settled by a mixture of artists and craftsmen from Kufstein and Predlitz, technicians from St. John and engineers from New Bergen. This eclectic mix of settlers were refugees fleeing from the Rasalhague Principality as a result of Shiro Kurita's campaign to try and annex this nation during the 2330s-2340s.
Rim Worlds Republic
Toland was one of the worlds targeted by Maxwell Rowe during his efforts to build up the Rim Worlds Republic, beginning in 2330; Rowe began by negotiating a series of trade and barter pacts with worlds like Toland, carefully avoiding any suggestions of a military alliance, defensive or otherwise. Rowe added offers of social and technological favors including access to new Rim Worlds Republic university facilities over time, and through guile and slow but steady progress persuaded the natives of Toland to join the Republic.
By the end of the Age of War Toland was a member of the Apollo Province of the Rim Worlds Republic. Civil war erupted in the Rim Worlds Republic in 2575, with the factions polarized around those loyal to First Consul Gregory Amaris and those loyal to the Rift Republican Army and the Rim Provisional Government.
The Star League eventually decided to intervene in the civil war in support of Gregory Amaris, and in 2579 assembled Task Force MAILED FIST to help secure Amaris' control over the Rim Worlds Republic. A multinational force headed by the Star League Defense Force, Task Force MAILED FIST was responsible for executing Operation MAILED FIST, the name given to the military intervention. The first wave of attacks focused on securing significant worlds near Apollo, until a destructive raid on Alarion by the Fourth Amaris Fusiliers in retaliation prompted the SLDF to alter its initial strategy for the campaign, the focus shifted to reducing Rim Worlds Army concentrations throughout the Republic and the capture of key worlds.
In late 2584 the SLDF changed tactics again; a number of major RWA units had been destroyed or captured, and the focus for the campaign shifted to capturing worlds of strategic importance, but the campaign was slowed by the greatly increased resistance offered by the RWA and local civilian populations, prompted by atrocities performed by the Draconis Auxiliary Corps when they captured Nightwish in mid-2584.
General Nathan Isaacson assigned a division from VI Corps, the Eighteenth Division, along with three regiments from the Second Marik Auxiliary Corps - the Second Defenders of Andurien, Second Regulan Hussars and the Second Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente - to the conquest of Toland in 2593. The Star League forces successfully took control of Toland, defeating the local militia forces, and remained in place as the local garrison until the Defenders of Andurien and Regulan Hussars were redeployed for the invasion of Apollo in 2596.
Star League Era
Toland was conquered by the Lyran Commonwealth during the 2773-2775 Republic-Commonwealth War. The Lyrans discovered a secret network of caves in at least one location on Toland - Cantor Canyon - close to the site of a Rim Worlds Army depot; the caves were presumed to have been use to hide units being manufactured in secret by the Republic. Having discovered the depot and caves, the Lyrans allowed them to fall into disuse early in the Succession Wars.
In late 3028 the old Rim Worlds Republic supply depot at Cantor Canyon was reactivated briefly to use as a trap for pirate forces. Thanks to machinations performed by King Hendrik Grimm III of the Oberon Confederation, both Maria Morgraine and Redjack Ryan - leaders of noted pirate bands, rulers of Morgraine's Valkyrate and Butte Hold respectively, and former lovers turned deadly enemies - arrived on-world, each acting in the belief that they were ambushing the other as part of an agreement with Grimm backed by the Draconis Combine. While both units were attacking the depot, the waiting Thirtieth Lyran Guards sprang an ambush of their own, nearly destroying both bandit groups; however, Ryan and Morgraine both escaped, with Morgraine saving Ryan in the process, and the two not only reconciled, but went so far as to merge their realms into a new bandit kingdom, the Greater Valkyrate.
In March of 3050 Toland was attacked by Clan Jade Falcon in a Trial of Possession. The planet was defended by the Second Regiment of the Twelfth Star Guards and the Toland Defense Force. The Twelfth Star Guards took position in the hollows of the Judea Jungle, but the Jade Falcon's Turkina Keshik and Ninth Talon Cluster used their imposing strengths to swiftly rout the Twelfth Star Guards from their positions. The Falcons then used aerospace fighters and lighter 'Mech units to swiftly cut down the Guards as they retreated through the barrens of Cantor Climb. A company of Star Guards 'Mechs were able reach Toland City, where they and the planet's defense forces were wiped out.
Ice Hellion Invasion
During the Jihad, Clan Ice Hellion's Beta Galaxy invaded and captured Toland in August of 3071. Three months later in November, elements of Clan Hell's Horses' Theta and Iota Galaxies arrived to fight for control of the planet. As a part of their successful battle for the planet, Horses Naval forces destroyed the Ice Hellion Warship CIH Moore’s Honor.
In April of 3085 the pirate band known as the Gort's Hounds raided the planet. The objective or the raid was Toland's rare minerals; Clan Hell's Horses defending forces responded with the Sixty-seventh BattleMech Cluster's heavy Solahma infantry trinary dealing with the pirates. The mostly infantry and armor-oriented Trinary trapped the pirates in a ambush that destroyed them.
- Twelfth Star Guards
- Second Regiment
- Twelfth Star Guards
- Second Regiment
- Fifty-third BattleMech Cluster
- Fifty-seventh BattleMech Cluster
- Sixty-seventh BattleMech Cluster
- Judea Jungle: site of a notable battle during Operation REVIVAL.
- Toland City: the planetary capital city.
|Closest 28 systems (28 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Treeline||26.4||Persistence||26.8||Iron Land||30.9||Star's End||32.5|
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery, First Edition, p. 17, "Inner Sphere Politics"
- The Periphery, 1st Edition, p. 18, "From Rim to Tamar"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic at the Fall of the Star League -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 38, "Rim Worlds Army Deployment Map - "
- Field Report 2765: Lyran Commonwealth, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 37, "The Republic-Commonwealth War"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. vii, "Lyran Commonwealth Map - "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 37 First Wave / Toland - Conflict for control of Toland.
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion -  Map"
- Objective Raids, p. 31, "Map of the Jade Falcon Territory"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 28, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Inner Sphere (sourcebook), p. 75, "Lyran Alliance Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 29 Toland - Battle for Toland, Falcons lose the world, while Horses liberate it for themselves.
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 17, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 27, "Clan Wolf/ Clan Hell's Horses Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 130, "The Spark"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 132, "Case Apollo"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 133, "Island Hopping (2582 - November 2590)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134, "Arlina to Viborg (December 2584 - September 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 139, "Bitter Harvests (2591-2596)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 153, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- Unholy Union
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 134 - Vehicle profile includes 67th BattleMech Cluster's activities on Toland.
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 25, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Jade Falcon Clan Sourcebook, p. 37
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 154 - "Crusader Clans Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 125, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 134 - Zephyros - Vehicle notable combat includes pirate raid it repulsed on Toland. Vehicle article notes newly stationed 67th BattleMech Cluster being station on planet.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 37 - Toland's information includes jungles.
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 134 - Toland mentioned in vehicle action in 3085, which world being raided for rare minerals.
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans
- Field Report 2765: Lyran Commonwealth
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Inner Sphere
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- The Peripehry, First Edition
- Unholy Union