|Tramp Class JumpShip|
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Sail Diameter||1160 meters|
|Fuel||500 tons (1,250)|
|Top Thrust||0.1 Gs|
|KF Drive Integrity||5|
|LF Battery||(only on variants)|
|Armament||8x ER large lasers, 12x Anti-missile systems|
|Armor||31.5 tons standard armor|
|Grav Decks||1 x 140 meters diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||5 Escape Pods|
|Heat Sinks||0 + 122|
The Tramp class JumpShip is similar in size to the vastly more common Star Lord class, but can only carry half the number of DropShips (three compared to six). Most shipyards chose to build the more popular Star Lord instead. Since it is armed, the Tramp was a success among periphery traders when it was first launched in 2754 but never built in large numbers and eventually phased out, being produced only sporadically throughout the Succession Wars.
Almost three centuries later SelaSys Incorporated, who already produced the Star Lord at Loyalty in the Free Worlds League, chanced on the old design specifications for the Tramp and found that the similarity in size between the two meant drastic savings in tooling up their shipyards to produce the Tramp as well. Their first prototype Tramp was launched in 3046. Production was halted in 3052 when a fault in the drive coils of the first eleven ships built was found and the ships had to be recalled for refit. This damaged the design's reputation. Production resumed in 3055, and by 3057, fourteen craft had been built.
Designed as traders in the "wilder" parts of the periphery, Tramps are among the most heavily armed civilian JumpShips, mounting eight ER large lasers and twelve anti-missile systems, with ample ammunition. Still, they should avoid combat since their armor is very thin. They also lack integral fighter support; the vessel's two small craft bays are unsuitable for the majority of fighter designs currently produced.
- As of 2764 several SLDF regiments had permanently attached Tramps that were equipped with lithium-fusion batteries. The wording suggests the L-F batteries were a refit, and not standard on Tramp-class vessels of the era. (It is not mentioned how many Docking Hardpoints these vessels had.)
- According to the ComStar document known as the Technical Readout: 3057, the Clans, most notably Clan Nova Cat, were observed operating Tramp class ships that make use of Lithium-Fusion Batteries and mount a fourth Docking Hardpoint, greatly reducing the internal cargo capacity. Since these ships are reportedly believed to be Star League-era vessels it could be speculated that this layout was the original version of the Tramp, and that SelaSys later only produced a downgraded version.
Later versions of the same book (marked as "corrected 3rd printing") omit the half-sentence where it says this particular Clan variant carried four DropShips, while not expressly repealing the earlier report either.
The existence of such a Tramp variant with four hardpoints remains unconfirmed in the fashion of a Canon Rumor; the underlying reports may have been in error.
Original Tramp from TRO:3057
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 273
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, p. 102-103
- Technical Readout: 3057, p. 104-105
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 50