- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Clan Goliath Scorpion |
|Top Speed||10.8 km/h|
The Undine battle armor is a combat upgrade to the original "water elementals," the underwater exoskeletons that inspired Clan Wolf's Elemental battle armor. Clan Goliath Scorpion had been working for some time on a specialized missile which could also function as a torpedo, a separate weapon much-used by the Clans to protect their extensive underwater facilities, along with a battle suit designed to take advantage of this capability. While the modifications to the original suit for underwater combat were straightforward, developing a missile/torpedo hybrid proved elusive, and when the Goliath Scorpions failed to win a spot in Operation Revival the project languished in limbo for some years - at least until the Inner Sphere began developing their own battle suits which were rapidly matching or exceeding the venerable Elemental. While the other Clans went about developing specialized suits of their own, a breakthrough in 3059 allowed the Goliath Scorpions to complete development of their underwater combat suit. They christened it Undine after the mystical water spirits.
With its unique weaponry and revolutionary underwater motor system, the Undine is the perfect unit for amphibious warfare, though it comes with some drawbacks. Undines cannot perform typical anti-'Mech swarming attacks and can only make leg attacks against partially-submerged 'Mechs. The suit also only carries 200kg of armor, 20% less than the Elemental. Although the Goliath Scorpions won a number of defensive underwater Trials thanks largely to the Undine, its specialized nature and the rarity of underwater offensive operations meant most Clans simply were not interested in acquiring the suit for many years. It was not until 3068 that Clan Diamond Shark began to aggressively pursue acquiring the Undine and the Goliath Scorpions would not give it up without a fight. It took several Trials before the Sharks finally won on Roche, when a Star of their submarines defeated a Nova of Scorpion submarines and Undine; however since acquiring the suits no Diamond Shark units have been seen actually employing them, much to observers' curiosity.
Weapons and Equipment
The Undine carries an ER Micro Pulse Laser in its right arm and a Battle Claw in its left, however the centerpiece of the suit's weaponry is its LRM-5 launcher loaded with a single round of special amphibious missiles. A Searchlight provides additional illumination while an Underwater Maneuvering Unit allows the Undine to achieve speeds of over 32km/h when submerged.
- This Goliath Scorpion variant is designed to be used out of water and is especially effective with standard Elemental suits. The underwater maneuvering units are replaced with enough jump jets to push the Undine up to ninety meters, just like the Elemental armor. The laser is retained, but the LRM is replaced with an LRM-3 with either two reloads of LRM/Ts or four reloads of regular missiles. The searchlight is also replaced for an armored cargo bay with capacity for 30kg of equipment. BV (2.0) = 59
- Debuted in 3145 on the Arena Amazonia Arena and piloted by Samson Wright and squad, this variant is a battlesuit specifically configured for intense underwater combat, where even the mightiest 'Mech might be felled by a well-placed shot. To facilitate a quick—and embarrassing—kill, this modified form of the Clan's Undine suit has upgraded its mass and used the extra weight to improve its armor and weapons. This version can now withstand a hit from all grades of Inner Sphere-spec lasers and even light PPCs with little chance for critical failure. At the same time, this armor can dish out twice the laser fire of the original model (two ER Micro Lasers), backed up by a pair of multi-purpose SRM launchers for truly amphibious combat. As it retains its Clan-spec chassis, the variant continues to benefit from the perks of Clan engineering, including the HarJel sealing and retains the underwater maneuvering system of the original Undine. Though the increased weight does preclude its effective use as an anti-'Mech swarmer, the variant adds a second battle claw. BV (2.0) = 44.
Original Undine battle armor from LosTech: The MechWarrior Equipment Guide
- Technical Readout 3058 Upgrade p.49
- MUL online date for the Undine
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 48
- LosTech: The MechWarrior Equipment Guide, p. 68
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 187-188
- Experimental Technical Readout: Royal Fantasy, pp. 19 "Undine Sebastian"