- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Orguss Industries, Hellespont Industrials|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Communications System||Dalban Interact|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dalban Urban|
|Jump Jets||Pitban 6000|
The UrbanMech was designed for just what its name suggests, urban combat and defense. This was achieved by starting with a cheap, easily-produced chassis, giving it six tons Durallex armor to rival the protection found on many medium-weight BattleMechs, and mounting a pair of Pitban 6000 jump jets for a jumping distance of 60 meters. The trade-off was that it could only mount the miserable Leenex 60 engine, making the UrbanMech the slowest light 'Mech in existence with a cruising speed of 21 km/h and top speed of only 32.4 km/h. This was a severe disadvantage if the 'Mech attempted to fight in open country - something for only the foolish or desperate - but off-set by the fact that fighting in the close confines of a Star League city left little room to maneuver anyways and the UrbanMech's low profile made it difficult to target. Thus the 'Mech was primarily used for fighting guerrillas and other light 'Mechs in an urban environment, an arena where it also achieved some success fighting medium and even heavy-weight 'Mechs. Standard tactics for an UrbanMech lance was to split up into its constituent parts and occupy various buildings in order to snipe the enemy before falling back to the next defensive line.
Large numbers of UrbanMechs were produced by Orguss Industries from 2675 until the destruction of their assembly lines. UrbanMechs were also produced up through the mid-3081 at the Betelgeuse facility of Hellespont Industrials. As such, UrbanMechs could be found in all of the armies of the Successor States. However most military leaders saw the slow little 'Mech as a liability, confining their stockpiles to garrison duty or stripping them of parts. This dismissive attitude towards the UrbanMech saved it from the ravages of the Succession Wars and ensured its continued use into the thirty-first century. The Capellan Confederation remained the largest and only user of UrbanMechs to actually deploy them for front-line duty, a result of the devastation of the Fourth Succession War and their desperation for any 'Mech to replenish their losses. The Confederation Reserve Cavalry and Capellan Defense Force had the lion's share of UrbanMechs, followed by the Tikonov Republican Guard and St. Ives Armored Cavalry; outside the Confederation the Federated Suns' Capellan March Militia fielded the largest number of UrbanMechs thanks to the fact it was mostly composed of captured Capellan equipment. Its prominence within the Confederation meant the UrbanMech was among those 'Mechs within the CCAF to receive upgrades following the recovery of lostech; the other States followed suit with much less priority over improving other 'Mechs. Despite this the sheer costs necessary to replace the UrbanMech's engine and increase its top speed meant even the Confederation limited their refit packages to improving the weapons and armor only.
Weapons and Equipment
The UrbanMech packs a powerful punch for its size. The standard version carries an Imperator-B Autocannon/10 in its right arm and as a back up weapon it carries a Harmon Light Small Laser in the left arm for suppressing infantry. With these two weapons the UrbanMech can constantly harass, or if piloted by an experienced enough MechWarrior, down 'Mechs up to twice its own size. A single ton of ammo for the autocannon, located in the right torso, leaves little endurance for a prolonged fight, though it fits in perfectly with the hit-and-run nature of the 'Mech; one way or another most observers agree the UrbanMech is good for about two minutes of combat.
- UM-R50 (exact designation apocryphal)
- This was a variant without arms. The idea was to give the 'Mech a smaller silhouette in combat. However, the drawbacks of having no arms turned out to be greater than any benefits and this particular variant is generally regarded as a failure. Only very few units of this subvariant survived into 3025.
- Generally associated with the Capellan Confederation, who have modified a few of their UrbanMechs in this fashion, the -R60L is an upgrade to make the UrbanMech twice as deadly as the -R60 version. The -R60L sacrifices two tons of armor, allowing it to replace the Imperator-B Autocannon/10 with an Imperator-Zeta Autocannon/20 that is capable of downing most light 'Mechs and severely damaging most medium 'Mechs in a single salvo. Besides the thinner armor this modification comes with a very limited ammunition supply, which made it unpopular. BV (1.0) = 443, BV (2.0) = 470
- This is the official upgrade kit for the Capellan Confederation's UrbanMechs, distributed for field modification since before 3050. It replaces the Autocannon/10 with a Mydron Excel LB-X Autocannon/10 version and retains the small laser, but adds a Magna 200P Small Pulse Laser. BV (1.0) = 494, BV (2.0) = 540
- This Free Worlds League variant upgrades the autocannon to an Ultra Autocannon/10 and the laser to an ER Small Laser. This is all made possible by the upgrade to five tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and the removal of the eleventh heat sink. While the ultra-class autocannon provides superior firepower, it can also eat through the single ton of ammunition at an alarming rate. BV (2.0) = 589
- The Federated Suns -70 model is an upgrade that has greater potential than the -R63. The -70 uses Ferro-Fibrous armor and mounts a Rotary Autocannon/5, which can fire up to six times the normal rate of fire, and carries two tons of ammunition. For backup weapons, it carries an Extended Range Medium Laser and Extended Range Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 604, BV (2.0) = 724
- This variant of the UrbanMech replaces the standard weaponry with an Arrow IV missile launcher and ER Medium Laser. It requires an Endo Steel chassis and Small Cockpit to provide room, and the UrbanMech can only carry ten rounds for the Arrow system. Despite these limitations, it is still a decent fire support unit. BV (2.0) = 603
- First appeared in 3130, this Capellan Confederation Dark Age Era upgrade of the UrbanMech carries a Plasma Rifle, ER Medium Laser and ER Small Laser. Additionally, it carries 12 tons of Hardened Armor, which, while making it as tough as many Medium 'mechs, reduces its already slow speed even further. BV (2.0) = 894
- "Machine Gun variant"
- In Technical Readout: 3050 Revised's entry for the UM-R63 UrbanMech, it is noted that the -R63's Small Pulse Laser was substituted for "the machine gun". As the original UrbanMech has no machine gun, it has been speculated that a previously unknown Capellan UrbanMech variant exists, in which a machine gun and half a ton of ammo would take the place of the curious and largely useless eleventh heat sink found on the standard -R60 and most other models including even the -R63. However, this supposed variant was not mentioned in the original TR 3050, the reference was deleted entirely from TR3050U, no record sheet was ever created, and no MUL entry exists. BV (1.0) = 448, BV (2.0) = 492
- UM-R90 SuburbanMech
- Published in BattleTechnology issue #18, the apocryphal SuburbanMech mounts energy over ballistic weaponry for extended engagements, exchanging the UM-R60's Autocannon for a PPC and mounting a Medium Laser in each side torso, retaining the Small Laser. It was created by Craig Reed (who would go on to become a notable author of BattleTech fiction) and Robert Madson.
Although still apocryphal, the SuburbanMech was notably included in the 2019 Urban Warfare espansion for the BattleTech (Video Game) by Harebrained Schemes.
From MechWarrior Online:
- UM-K9 K-9
- Complete with a light bar, the K-9 is an UrbanMech refitted for use by a planetary police department. The standard variant's autocannon is swapped for an Ultra AC/5 and the left arm small laser is updated to a Large Laser, with two small lasers mounted in the center torso. While its ground speed remains unchanged, the K-9's heavier weapons loadout is made possible through the use of an Endo Steel chassis and mounting ten double heat sinks.
- UM-SC Street Cleaner
- Themed as the UrbanMech utilized by an unnamed member of Philip Capet's Capellan Mafia during Capet's final duel against Justin Allard in Solaris VII, the "Street Cleaner" is very similar to the standard UrbanMech featuring an Autocannon 10, supported by a Small Laser and Jump Jets.
- UrbanMech IIC - The UrbanMech was one of the 'Mechs carried on the Exodus with General Kerensky and the remnants of the SLDF. Their descendants, the Clans, fully upgraded the design, arming it with an Ultra AC/10 and ER Small Laser.
MechWarrior Online art of the UrbanMech
- Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 108-109
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 22-23
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- The armless variant was mentioned, without mentioning its specific alphanumerical code, in Technical Readout: 3025 and Technical Readout: 3039. In the German edition of the former book the regular UM-R60 UrbanMech was translated as ST-K60 Stadtkoloß and the armless variant was designated ST-K50. The Master Unit List does indeed list a UM-R50 variant and references Technical Readout: 3039 as a source; the only unnamed variant mentioned there is the armless variant.
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 80
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 160
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 52
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 64
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 63
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 2, p. 7
- MUL Profile for the UM-R93 UrbanMech - Alpha Strike Card, Introduction Date, and BV2 included.
- MechWarrior Online Resistance Heroes Sale Page
- MechWarrior Online Solaris-7 Sale Page
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 2
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- MechWarrior Online Resistance Heroes Sales
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060
- Technical Readout: 3085