Welcome to Nebula California
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|Welcome to the Nebula California|
(April Fools joke)
|Primary writing|| Herb A. Beas II |
|Cover artwork||Matt Cross, David Kerber|
|Interior artwork||Matt Cross, David Kerber|
|Publisher||Catalyst Game Labs|
|First published||1 April 2015|
|Series||April Fools releases|
Welcome to the Nebula California is a humorous sourcebook and plot book, released as a free 2015 April Fools product.
The sourcebook is done in the style of an Interstellar Expeditions report on the rimward region of space known as the California Nebula. The report details several inhabited worlds that are incredible different (to the BattleTech universe) civilizations. However, the expedition also faces the inability to return to the Inner Sphere.
The sourcebook provides regional data, character creation rules, record sheets, Alpha Strike Cards, weapons/equipment rules, and units customized for this non-canon adventure.
Official Product Description
|“|| I Think I Feel a Song Coming On!
ComStar lied! (We know: Big shock!) They said they checked out this distant rimward nebula, which ancient charts called “California” for some reason. Perhaps because someone in IE’s corporate mishmash of a leadership didn’t trust them—or more likely because they forgot that there even was a report from the Explorer Corps—the loose confederation of explorers, prospectors, and dig gypsies who make up Interstellar Expeditions thought they’d check it out again... Contrary to an unremarkable (and uninhabited) region of stars surrounded by the dusty shell of a millions-year-old explosion, IE’s expedition to the California Nebula has made some startling discoveries!
Welcome to the Nebula California (AKA Explorer’s Report: California Nebula) offers a few new venues for offbeat BattleTech adventures far from the hustle, bustle, and yet predictable chaos of the Dark Age era Inner Sphere. Here, far from known civilizations (and from HPGs!), are worlds, societies, and technologies unlike any seen back home! Special rules, back-stories,and yes, even record sheets, are included for a host of new (and hopefully unique) ...things, ready for play in your (really) advanced BattleTech and A Time of War games.
- Explorers Report: California Nebula — Page 01
- Monsters of Iron and Fire (Short Story) — Page 03
- The Forgotten Kingdoms of Toreel — Page 07
- The Star Empire — Page 10
- Drones of Syberia — Page 13
- Selected Syberian Drone Units
- The Superior Humans of "Earth" — Page 19
- Circulus Oculus
- Jane Grey
- Skunk Bear
- Conclusions — Page 24
- Rules Annex — Page 25
- Castles and Critters / Roadfinder
- Force Gets Disturbed
- Till Are Won
- Earth's Haughtiest Heroes
- Record Sheets — Page 55
- Alpha Strike Data Cards — Page 66
As an April Fools product, this PDF is explicitly considered non-canonical. The book also serves as parody book, with a number of references to favorite science fiction genres and franchises. The name of the product is a nod to the song "Hotel California" by the rock band, the Eagles.