5th Orloff Grenadiers
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|Fifth Orloff Grenadiers|
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||Orloff Grenadiers|
The Fifth Orloff Grenadiers were founded in or around 2691; when House Orloff cited the Camlann vs. Free Worlds precedent and broke the planets of Kievanur and Semenyih away from the Federation of Oriente to form the new Duchy of Orloff in 2691, the Duchy then immediately announcd the formation of the Orloff Grenadiers, which would be funded solely by House Orloff.
Star League Era
Swiftly building a reputation for excellence, the Fifth Orloff Grenadiers wanted for very little during the Star League era; the Fifth and the other regiments of the Grenadiers were provided with top-of-the-line equipment procured by House Orloff and had initiated an extremely stringent recruiting mechanism that included all members of the Fifth swearing oaths not to fight against the Grenadiers or House Orloff.
Despite House Orloff's secession from the Federation of Oriente and although the Grenadiers were officially provincial forces of the Duchy of Orloff - all of the forces associated with provinces officially having become provincial forces in 2650, decades before the founding of the Grenadiers, in what was at least partly an act of fiction to avoid disbanding a large number of regiments under the demands of the Star League Council Edict of 2650 - House Orloff and House Allison maintained a close relationship. As a result the Fifth could be - and often were - deployed throughout the Federation of Oriente, protecting worlds of importance to Oriente rather than just Kievanur and Semenyih, neither of which was of particular interest to pirates and raiders.
The Grenadiers as a brigade chose to stand by House Allison during the Marik Civil War, a decision that resulted in the Grenadiers not being called on to fight, but which also strained the relationship between the Grenadiers, the Free Worlds League Parliament and the Captain-General.
During the decade leading up to the Amaris Civil War the Fifth was very active, dealing with pirate raids against various Federation worlds; like its sister regiments, the Fifth displayed consistently rapid response times - which helped the Fifth limit collateral damage and casualties - and the high degree of operational latitude given to the commanding officer of the Fifth by House Orloff. Funded by House Orloff, equipped with the best equipment and given a great deal of operational latitude, morale was consistently high in the Fifth during this era despite the operational tempo. In exchange for this high level of support and operational freedom, to ensue that the high standards of the Grenadiers were met, the commanding officer of the Fifth enforced high standards of conduct and strict dress codes consistent with those being enforced across the brigade. These standards, whilst harsh and imposing, were supported by the Fifth, who felt that the discipline was a key part in allowing the Grenadiers to continue to outshine every other provincial and federal brigade within the Free Worlds League.
It was during the Star League era that the Grenadiers established the tradition of regimental commanding officers being democratically elected by the personnel in their unit, with each commanding officer being elected for a two-year term. This tradition was a source of some concern for the Free Worlds League Military due to the risk that an elected commander might not agree with the policies and direction provided by House Orloff, in contrast with an appointed commander.
Anton Marik's Revolt
During the chaos of Anton Marik's revolt, the Fifth Orloff was defending Nestor on the Lyran border. There they were attacked by the Fourth Donegal Guards, who were attempting to take advantage of the situation. The Grenadiers took light casualties in the action from August to September of 3014. In December, the Fifth rotated to Bedeque.
By now, the rebellion was in serious trouble, facing setbacks on every major front. Anton Marik, in an act of near-desperation, ordered an attack on the world of Tiber in January 3015, consisting of major elements of Wolf's Dragoons, including Beta Regiment, Zeta Battalion, the Fire Support Group, Kerensky's Independent Company and the Sixth and Eighth Ducal Guard. They faced an almost immediate counter-attack, however, in the 1st Regulan Hussars along with the First, Fifth, Sixth and Eighth Orloff Grenadiers. The Hussars secured a landing zone for the loyalists despite facing heavy fire from the rest of the Dragoons. The Fifth Grenadiers then attempted to advance on the Earthwerks Incorporated facility, but were initially blocked by Beta Regiment. Ultimately, the loyalist advantage in numbers proved too high even for the vaunted Dragoons, and the rebel mercenaries were driven off-planet. Losses to the Fifth Grenadiers were heavy in January and serious in February when the fighting ended.
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Orloff Grenadiers|
Fifth Orloff Grenadiers (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
2786 - 2821
5th Orloff Grenadiers (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
- Note: At this point in time the light-weight unit was stationed on Nova Roma. In 2821 the command was reduced to 39 of its strength and was deployed at Harsefeld. 
5th Orloff Grenadiers (Regiment/Regular/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the light-weight unit was stationed on Harsefeld with an operational readiness of 104 percent. 
5th Orloff Grenadiers (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the light-weight unit was stationed on Ilmachna with an operational readiness of 29 percent. 
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 19, "Orloff Grenadiers"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 4, "Circumventing Directive 30"
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 24, "Lyran Predation", the Fourth Donegal Guards attack the Grenadiers on Nestor
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 36, "Deployment Tables : Anton Marik's Revolt", the 5th Orloff take light losses
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 36, "Deployment Tables : Anton Marik's Revolt", the 5th Orloff move to Bedeque
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 30, "Tiber", the battle of Tiber
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 36, "Deployment Tables : Anton Marik's Revolt", the 5th Orloff fight on Tiber
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 19, "Regimental Status"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 138
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 98