Battle Value: 107
Cost per BV: 2,622.87
Weapon Value: 132 (Ratio = 1.23)
Damage Factors: SRV = 5; MRV = 1; LRV = 0; ERV = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 5, Armor/Structure: 0 / 0
Damage PB/M/L: 1/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: FL; Point Value: 1

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
08/15/02 07:14 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Interesting - an LB-2X.

Nice conventional fighter, though it'll probably do more with bombs than its fixed armament.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
08/15/02 06:06 PM

Very...interesting design. I like to use SRMs on my confighters.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
NathanKell
08/23/02 03:19 PM

Yeah, and it's not really fast enough to get much out of that LBX. An interesting mod would be to drop it for 3x SRM-4 and 1t ammo (or 1x each SRM-4 and SRM-6, with 1t ammo each). Or, even better, 2x SSRM-4 with 1t ammo. That'd give you a nice 16pt punch up close.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
08/25/02 07:04 PM

*Twitch. Twitch.*
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
01/03/05 03:28 PM

Why so?
Karagin

CrayModerator
01/03/05 06:02 PM

Did I hear you're back in the States? If so, are you dredging up 2.33-year old conversations out of a horrible amount of boredom?

Quote:

Why so?

Well, it's like this:

The AC/2 and MGs will do 2 points of damage each IF they hit their target, and they can only fire on ONE target per turn. Further, the has no ability to survive a hit from anything larger than a small laser, so it won't be on the battlefield long (lack of fuel will force it off the battlefield if it isn't destroyed on its first attack run).

Since the damage this fighter can deliver from its internal weapons can be summarized as...

(Average damage output per turn) x (turns on the battlefield)

...and since both values in that equation are "small," the fighter won't be doing any damage with its onboard weapons.

But external stores - e.g., bombs - are much less discriminating weapons. You can drop them on a hex and damage everything in the hex. If you switch to cluster bombs (an L2 AT2R option, IIRC), the bombs will damage everything in the surrounding hexes, too. With cluster bombs, it won't even matter much that you missed the target hex by one hex. Once you hit a hex, damage is indiscriminate - no attack rolls required. Everything in the hex gets blasted with a sizable dollop of pain (compared to an AC/2 and MGs).

In one turn, this fighter can roll over a battlefield, blitz a hex (or 7) with 4 bombs, and have done more damage that it could do with 20 turns with its onboard weaponry. Since this fighter is unlikely to be over the battlefield for 20 turns (at least 20 turns when its firing at something), I reiterate my statement of August 2002:

"it'll probably do more with bombs than its fixed armament."

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Silenced_Sonix
01/03/05 06:11 PM

Anyone here ever thought of the fact that the rules for using external bombs on aerofighters are somewhat... odd? My favourite example: fighters carrying 100-point bombs, which reduce thrust by two. This means a 100t Kirghiz will only be able to carry two of these huge bombs, while a 20t Seydlitz will carry 5 of them and still have the same speed as the Kirghiz. Tell me there is not something wrong with that idea!
Evolve or Die
CrayModerator
01/03/05 07:14 PM

Quote:

Anyone here ever thought of the fact that the rules for using external bombs on aerofighters are somewhat... odd? My favourite example: fighters carrying 100-point bombs, which reduce thrust by two. This means a 100t Kirghiz will only be able to carry two of these huge bombs, while a 20t Seydlitz will carry 5 of them and still have the same speed as the Kirghiz. Tell me there is not something wrong with that idea!

Wow! That's a blast of fresh Aerotech First Edition air. I haven't seen those rules in play in years.

In AT2 and AT2R (and Battlespace?), bombs are always 10 points apiece. A fighter can carry 1 bomb per 5 tons. Every 4 bombs (or otherwise occupied hardpoint slots) reduces thrust by 1 point.

A 20t Seydlitz can carry 4 bombs (reducing thrust by 1 point), while a 100t Stuka can carry 20 bombs (reducing thrust by 5 points, or by 4 points if it carries 19 bombs).

AT2 gives several options for hard points beside bombs: An Arrow IV round (4 bomb slots per Arrow IV round), assorted bomb types, a RL10, or 0.5 tons of fuel.

Karagin
01/03/05 10:12 PM

Well in away yes, I am dealing with sheer bordom...and what brought these back up was I noticed folks looking at them and went back and re-read them etc..

Also looking for some new input and all to improve on them etc...
Karagin

CrayModerator
01/04/05 08:42 AM

Ah, how to improve them.

Well, in the case of the P-14, you're 12 points shy of max armor. I'd look into fixing that.

The LB2X does nothing for a conventional fighter. Since this is an ICE craft, I'd look into replacing it and the MGs with:

*2 medium lasers, 6 heat sinks, and a 0.25-ton power amp (which would round off the 1.25 tons of armor this bird can carry). Make it a strafing machine.
*SRMs, perhaps a mix of SRM 2s (for infernos) and SRM 6s
*LRMs, to deliver a variety of munitions to the battlefield - like minefields, smoke, etc.

The radical change: make it a bomb truck. Ditch the current weaponry, up the speed to 6/9 (2 tons), give it 1 medium laser (4.25 tons), max out the armor (.75 tons), and make it VSTOL (1 ton). I don't think HMAero allows half tons of fuel (which would use up the last half ton), but you could just add a half ton of cargo and call it fuel.

Karagin
01/05/05 01:01 AM

Thanks, I will add these in as variants of the fighter.
Karagin

Silenced_Sonix
01/05/05 05:16 PM

Cray, would it be possible for you to perhaps send me a copy of the new AeroTech bombing rules? Failing that, just point me to the correct site, and I would be eternally thankful.
Evolve or Die
Karagin
01/05/05 11:48 PM

Best thing to do is get a copy of Aerotech 2 Revised. Over at the ClassicBattlech web site they should have a link to an online store that you can order it from.
Karagin

Karagin
12/27/06 12:52 PM

I think I can do that...I will repost the upgrade or mod based on this...
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8715

Contact Admins Sarna.net