Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Crab IICA
Mass: 70 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 107 pts Endo Steel 7 3.50
(Endo Steel Loc: 2 LA, 2 RA, 1 LT, 2 RT)
Engine: 280 XL Fusion 10 8.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 16 Double [32] 10 6.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL)
Gyro: 4 3.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA+H 16 .00
Armor Factor: 217 pts Ferro-Fibrous 7 11.50
(Armor Crit Loc: 1 HD, 2 LA, 2 RA, 1 LT, 1 RT)

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 22 33
Center Torso (Rear): 11
L/R Side Torso: 15 22/22
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 8/8
L/R Arm: 11 22/22
L/R Leg: 15 30/30

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
1 Large Pulse Laser RA 10 2 6.00
1 Large Pulse Laser LA 10 2 6.00
3 ER Medium Lasers RT 15 3 3.00
1 Gauss Rifle LT 1 16 8 14.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 LT)
1 Large Pulse Laser CT 10 2 6.00
TOTALS: 46 76 70.00
Crits & Tons Left: 2 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 14,162,474 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 2,496 (old BV = 2,071)
Cost per BV2: 5,674.07
Weapon Value: 3,901 / 3,901 (Ratio = 1.56 / 1.56)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 45; MRDmg = 35; LRDmg = 25
BattleForce2: MP: 4, Armor/Structure: 5/4
Damage PB/M/L: 6/5/3, Overheat: 2
Class: MH; Point Value: 25

Back in 1995/96, I was going with an idea of how to make more IIC mechs. I recalled that in the original 3050 Tech Readout that ComStar stated that many of the garrison mechs and IIC mechs were pretty much Star League or common Inner Sphere mechs, and using the idea of the Phoenix Hawk IIC as a base idea, I ran with it, and thus the Crab IICA was born.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
05/02/22 02:45 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Now this is the way a redesign should be on a mech.
Changing configurations like adding different weapons should be done. Too many are set up like old configurations, which most that have dealt with the unit, already know the strengths and weaknesses of them.
A variant is just changing things like upgrading existing weapons.

But that's my opinion. So it is a bit flawed to others.
Zaku
05/02/22 05:15 AM

I can see the appeal of this version it’s a good mech. It’s very much a Phoenix Hawk IIC approach to IIC construction, and it contrasts well against my lighter Crab design. It’s definitely a superior mech in terms of raw power. The Gauss feels a tad left field but you can NEVER turn your nose up at a Gauss.

I would say you have gone the IIC approach I would call Clan nostalgia which in universe is the clan approach to making romanticised versions of star league mechs. The myths that could wade in and destroy dozens of Amaris mechs: and no argument this Crab IIA could do that.

I took the design specification more of the Griffin IIC or Shadowhawk IIC. Smaller, lighter, mechs that did not consume too much in the way of resources. Economy mechs meant to be easy to field rather than a jaggurnaught of destruction. In fact I tried to get the crab IIC as close to the same cost as the Crab and through a bit of happy accidents it had the same. BV. Too few clan mechs have low BV, which was my main goal with my crab, an ease of deployment while still being effective: a trooper rather than a destroyer.

I do love this contrast though. Too very different approaches to design. One trying to go for efficiency of power per unit while the other going for efficiency of deployment per unit. It’s why making mechs is fun
Karagin
05/02/22 10:34 AM

Now here is an idea, team up your version with mine, that would make an effective hunter killer pairing.
Karagin

Zaku
05/02/22 12:02 PM

There is a idea. My Crab IIC is low BV cost enough to offset your mechs high Bv cost, forcing the IS to be unable to launch more mediums or a assault and a few lights to counter it. Or with other clans forcing them more onto cheaper designs. So my mech does compliment yours in a BV strategy

Edited by Zaku (05/02/22 12:03 PM)
Karagin
05/02/22 12:54 PM

Your use of BV shows how easy it is to Munchkin that system. One of the big reasons I don't use it is because it's limiting and not even remotely realistic, at least not how I see things working. I hate playing BV-based games mainly because folks will min-max the hell of out their units.

Now having said that, your point though is one that would require a rethinking of how to counter a combo of the two.
Karagin

Zaku
05/02/22 06:12 PM

To be fair, its also easy to munchkin the C-Bill system, after all you can deploy loads of Savannah Masters or deploy 2 whole lances to one clan heavy star, putting up enough armour that the clanners cannot win.

Also the Crab IIC isn't a super mech, its about as good as a IS pre-clan medium, with some extra durability, its not a super mech like I have seen.
Karagin
05/03/22 02:13 AM

Hence why my group uses a tonnage-based system and a simple rule NO you can't use swarm tactics aka no you can't pick all light mechs and flood the board, same for vehicles. We have been using this since around 1989 and have had no issues with it and actually had far more balanced games than the BV system (either version) has ever given us.

Neither version is super, they are decent for what we built them for, together they are a good pairing and allow for a nice use of range and bracketing to keep the enemy away from your side.
Karagin

Zaku
05/03/22 04:32 AM

I can respect that

I just wasn't trying to min max, more make a affordable clan unit with durability and low logistics and maintenance costs.
Karagin
05/03/22 11:56 AM

Quote:
I can respect that

I just wasn't trying to min max, more make a affordable clan unit with durability and low logistics and maintenance costs.

And you did, the min-max comment was aimed how you pointed out using both of our mechs together would limit the other player in what they could get using the BV system.

That is one issue the game as a whole hasn't really addressed, you can min-max things from heat control to the use of certain weapons, etc...it's a drawback that I feel many players who can't grasp tactics or maneuver use to make up for their lack of wanting to learn to use the terrain and move mechs in teams to support the whole vs playing the game like Bash'em Smash'em Robots.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3966

Contact Admins Sarna.net