WOB Jihad....Spoilers....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
NathanKell
08/30/02 08:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Aha! Knew I forgot something major. Thanks.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
novakitty
08/31/02 11:47 AM

It is not to annihilate the Dragoons (although they did hurt a lot from it), it is to upset everything, get a new villain who will have little or no fan backing, and drop everything into tech level 1 mark 2.
meow
Karagin
08/31/02 12:02 PM

They are a small cult. They DON'T have the monies or the manpower, and this is proven with use of nukes.

Bottom line is this storyline is not thought out and is only being pushed since it fits with the future of MWDA and it's past.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
novakitty
08/31/02 12:48 PM

Small is a very vague term, and can be larger than you expect.
meow
Karagin
08/31/02 02:53 PM

Small compared to a house and smaller when compared to some other groups in the game...just because they are a splitter group of ComStar doesn't mean they are all powerful and their using nukes shows HOW desperate they are.
Karagin

novakitty
08/31/02 05:31 PM

I thought it was common consensus that WoB did not have the best tacticians in or out of the IS. The result will not be a full-sphere loss of technology, but the affected areas will be reduced to whatever they already had and what parts of any tech level were locally manufactured.
meow
Tron
09/02/02 12:28 PM

Uhmm by that logic you should be somewhat miffed that the WoB used nukes.

When Wob was formed they were heavily fractionalized into 4 main factions which had factions within them as well.

The guy who took over WoB was from the most levelheaded group of the four factions. Though I'm guessing the real marik is the one who is pulling the strings to push WoB into this direction.

Germany during WW2 is a prime example of how good well intentioned people can be influenced by more fervent and overbearing attitudes and be swepted up in the tides. This makes it excuseable for WoB to commit nuclear attacks. BUT.

As soon as the WoB used nukes we wouldn't have needed Devlin Stone to overthrow WoB. WoBs four factions were split in half over their degrees fanaticism and overall ideaology (like the clans warden and crusaders). Even if three out of four factions followed Thomas Marik because of his recognition as primus the least fanatical faction which was originally the one in power would immediately go to efforts to rectify this situation for various reasons.

If comstar troops can defect to get involved in a House civil war then I don't see why Devlin Stone needed to be the sole savior of the entire human travelled galaxy.

FASA screwed the pooch in this storyline a bit.*shrugs* I can accept the storyline because WoB needed some way to do damage but this storyline isn't that great as a whole.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."-Kosh

We are a race that has the ability of going beyond the boundries placed on us. The question we should ask ourselves then is whether or not we should go beyond those boundries?
masdog5
09/02/02 01:41 PM

How do we even know if the real thomas marik still exists?
Tron
09/02/02 02:49 PM

It's assumption. You can basically say *insert charismatic crazy personality here* is the real leader behind the WoB Jihad. I'm using the real Marik just because he's an easy likely suspect. Just like the Dancing Joker, respectively speaking.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."-Kosh

We are a race that has the ability of going beyond the boundries placed on us. The question we should ask ourselves then is whether or not we should go beyond those boundries?
Countergod
09/02/02 04:14 PM

According to what I have heard, the real Marik goes in and takes over for the fake one. a civil war starts, and this is won again by Marik (real), but it also pretty much destroys the League. The WoB strikes from League territory, and in Devlin Stone's crusade to destroy the WoB, he wrecks even more havoc in the old League. Translation: League is Shafted, DC is gone, I have even heard that good old Vic is going to die! Though don't quote me, this is from one person, and I have no clue whether this is right!
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
masdog5
09/02/02 11:42 PM

From whats on the comstar site, it does mention that the league gets shattered. Beyond that, it really doesnt say anything about the other nations, and the map of the inner sphere (the small one used to show how small the RotS is) shows both House Marik and House Kurita on it.

Also, I doubt Victor dies because the brief history of the RotS mentions that without Victors support of Devlin Stone and his ideas, the RotS would never have been created.
Countergod
09/02/02 11:56 PM

I dont know, I am just quoting hearsay and seeing what people think. I agree that Vic dying is a bit farfetched, but I wanted to see other people's ideas. Also, If i didnt say it before, I meant to say that the League and the DC is pretty much gone, not completely gone (though they might not want to show an entire house dying) I mean, no matter what, not all the League is going to follow the real Marik if he does take over, and the DC capital is gone, and I thought it was the belief that if the Capital falls, that the entire DC would fall apart (alteast this is what the trilogy that introduced the clans seemed to think...). also what is this site everyone's talking about?
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
masdog5
09/03/02 04:27 AM

As far as I know, Black Luthien is still there. There hasnt been anything mentioned about it being destroyed, it just isnt on the map because the map doesnt cover that region of space. It is rumored that theodore dies during hte Jihad, leaving hte nation in Hohiros hands.

Personally, it would make things alot more interesting if a few of the houses did shatter or fragment into smaller states. I could easily see this happen to the FWL since its democracy is delicate.

The comstar site is a site run by WizKids that gives news, spoilers, etc on the MW:DA universe. You can find it on the main wiz kids page.

Edited by masdog5 (09/03/02 04:32 AM)
The_Nice_Guy
09/03/02 09:12 AM

Surprised that the Wobblies used nukes?

No, I wasn't. In fact, the writing was already on the wall. What I did not like was the rather off hand manner in which the Wobblies were beaten in the end.

And you were partly right in that the heavily factionalized WoB did not seem to have the unity to carry out such an assault. However, take note that for the 5 years of the FC Civil War, a lot of 'restructuring' might have taken place in the WoB itself. For example, in FM: Comstar, it was noted that the Shunners were wiped out. What other moves have the Toyama made in five years?

The part that really rankles me is how Devlin Stone can beat nuclear weapon equipped forces without becoming a radioactive smear on the ground or in space. How did he evade naval blockades? How did he get the warships/dropships to even gain some recognition at the start? Why didn't the Wobblies, with the best intel/black ops people in the galaxy, not take him out with a well placed assassin posing as a recruit?

I said that if TPTB wanted to wipe the slate clean, then do so in a manner that is realistic. Have everybody use nukes back at the Wobblies. Bombard everybody into dust. Then have the clans come in and get wiped too. But DO NOT have an uber character come in and wipe the floor by writer fiat just because they want to set up the RotS for DA.

And if you look carefully, I have already expressed my doubts about MW: DA.

The Angry Guy
Beyond common courage. The mark of a true soldier.
BA_Evans
09/03/02 03:07 PM

To be fair, WizKids implemented the WOB vs. Devlin Stone story line.
BA_Evans
09/03/02 03:23 PM

Would you give the Dragoons a fighting chance if you were the WOB commander? I know I wouldn't.

Karagin
09/03/02 03:30 PM

But nuking the hell of the planet and others as well is a more fitting way to fight?

Why even play if all you are going to is nuke the other side...makes the whole point of the game pointless. But hey it works really well at pushing out the old fan bases and sending the game right into MWDA timeline and frame of mind...and really gives the target market, YOUNG teenage boys an interesting lesson...if you don't like something get a bigger and DEADLIER hammer and beat it down...nice message they are selling.
Karagin

BA_Evans
09/03/02 03:31 PM

You are not allowed to choose. Father WOB will make all of your decisions for you.

Muhahahahahaha

Edited by BA_Evans (09/03/02 03:34 PM)
Nightward
09/03/02 05:15 PM

Unless I missed something big, the Shunners' dome just imploded. There was nothing about Toyama involvement. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if one faction was trying to do another in- particularly the True Believers :P

Oh, and on "Uber Characters"- maybe Devlin Stone has Morgan's Gift, and no sensor or targeting system can track him. Yes. Yes, that must be it. And somehow, he can project this over all of his friends....wait, I know! Yorinaga Kurita survived his Seppuku Ceremony! HE'S BACK FROM THE GRAVE!
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
09/03/02 05:23 PM

Well, the map actually does cover that region of space. Luthien just isn't on it. I've heard that the map only shows worlds that are part of the Republic, so maybe Luthien has not joined- though this begs the question as to why every other DC world is present on the map. Whilst I can very well understand the FWL falling to pieces (particularly the Duchy of Andurien), the DC is not like that- even the lowest street bum is fanatically loyal to the Combine and Lord Kurita. That is one of the things that has held the DC together through the ages. And as for the idea that any DC citizen would stand for the idea of being ruled by anybody else *degenerates into mad laughter*.

I'm really not happy with this BS they've cooked up for MW: DA.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
masdog5
09/03/02 08:28 PM

The map covers the area that was the old Terran Hegemony. Yes, DC worlds, particularly those in the Dieron district and some of the ones that were on along the DC/FS border, are on the map. There is another map, a very generalized one, that shows the RotS in relation to the great houses, and it shows that the RotS doesnt even go deep enough into the combine to be near Luthien.
Nightmare
09/04/02 12:45 AM

-But nuking the hell of the planet and others as well is a more fitting way to fight?
-Why even play if all you are going to is nuke the other side...makes the whole point of the game pointless.

Well, apparently they are`t going to publish any BattlePack:WoB Jihad.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
The_Nice_Guy
09/04/02 01:08 AM

General scenario rules: Applies to all scenarios in this battlepack.

1. Even if the anti-wobblie forces win, the wobblies ues a strategic nuke to vaporize the area, resulting only in a moral victory for the anti-wob forces.
2. Wobblies get orbital bombardment in all scenarios. Their opponents don't.
3. Wobblies get to use special tactical nukes which operate like Arrow IV missiles, but instead of dealing 20 points of damage, destroys all units within the hex.
4. Only Devlin Stone is able to walk unscathed through nuclear attacks.

The Angry Guy
Beyond common courage. The mark of a true soldier.
realworldviews
09/04/02 01:21 AM

3. Wobblies get to use special tactical nukes which operate like Arrow IV missiles, but instead of dealing 20 points of damage, destroys all units within the hex.

Just the hex, I think it should at least be "destroys all units within 3 hexes of target hex"
If your gonna make chesse, make it really cheesey.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Acolyte
09/04/02 03:13 AM

Use the BattleSpace rules!

Everything in the target hex is destroyed. Starting 1 hex away everything takes 100 fire factors (10 pts per). This is reduced by 2 fire factors per hex (i.e 98 at 2, 96 at three....). Remove any terain features within 25 hexes, hills, lakes, buildings, ect. Kills any infantry within 50. No terrain will protect from any effect or damage.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
NathanKell
09/04/02 12:19 PM

And that's just IMO a little bitty tac nuke (100kt).
Fear the 100MT busters.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
09/04/02 12:30 PM

Hey for the WoB a hex is a big as the whole bloody planet....thus a couple of nukes will do the trick, then they toss in biochem weapons to make sure everyone is dead...much easier to run the planet if everyone is dead...though taxes might be hard to collect...
Karagin

Tron
09/04/02 04:35 PM

"Maybe it's me but nukes really don't have a place in this game... "

If nukes didn't have any place in this game then you might as well write off the Black Watch Scenario, the Wolverine/Raven Scenario and the first two Succession wars which are the defining precedent for 3025 tech and culture.

Yes I understand what you meant by it having no place in the game but that comment cuts two additional ways.

Nukes have already been established in the games way before this fiasco of a plot device and it has been an underlying cause to the creation of an environment which you love to play in.

This is exactly what FASA is doing.

They are combing the success of their old universe with the greater ease of play of MAgeknight. We are ultimately the audience watching a wedding more horrifying than the Fedcom.

Acolyte
09/04/02 05:04 PM

Yep. That's the Arrow IV sized Alimo missile. Total missile weight: 200 kg's or so.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Nightward
09/04/02 05:08 PM

Ahhhhhh *Lightbulb goes on*

I see. I thought everyone signed on. Gotcha.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 48573

Contact Admins Sarna.net