Weapon makers and markets...

Pages: 1
Karagin
08/16/02 12:46 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Here is an idea...wouldn't one company's medium laser be a little different then say the one that is used on a Stinger?

Has anyone come up with rules or had similar ideas about how company A's medium lasers builds up 6 points of heat and Company B's only does 4 heat 4 damage etc...?

If so could you share the ideas with us?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
08/16/02 06:36 AM

Such ideas are sort of supported in fluff - note the description of the Marauder's Hellstar PPC as being compact (a Dragon magazine's article of 'mech quirks' suggested it only used 2 crits), the Zeus's Large Laser was supposed to be fairly compact, too, while the Thunderbolt's large laser was unusually large but time-proven.

Generally, I figure the differences are always there as manufacturers try to outperform each other, but they aren't big enough to alter game stats significantly. Look what it takes to get another point of damage out of IS medium lasers: another ton, another point of heat, and 2/3 the range. Quirks between normal MLs wouldn't show up.

Or such is my theory. I eagerly await input from other posters.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
08/16/02 01:41 PM

While I agree with you, the idea does add a flavor to the game that is allowing it to be a little on the odd side. Like you know everyone wants the Martel medium cause it does 5 points of damage etc...while the Harmony one only does 3 points...adds a new level of play and feel to the game I think.
Karagin

CrayModerator
08/16/02 01:43 PM

Indeed, I could see that. I've been tempted to create low tech weapons for...for...*cough*aliens*cough*...well, never mind what they were for.

I don't have any alternate models available offhand, but I'd be happy to vomit some ideas onto the board if you give me an idea of the setting you're aiming for.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
08/16/02 02:38 PM

Cool, I would say right around pre-Star League era and 3025 prior to the rise in tech would be two good areas to start with.
Karagin

CrayModerator
08/16/02 02:49 PM

Well...for the Star League era...

There's the Sunglow Medium Laser. Almost a normal medium laser, but the venerable Sunglow company decided to break out of the big laser market into the smaller ones with style. The result was derided by armchair generals for the 66% increase in heat, but mechwarriors - particularly those in the SLDF with access to the Hegemony's double strength heat sinks - could appreciate the 33% gain in range. The Sunglow medium laser had a range of 1-4/5-8/9-12 and generated 5 heat; it was otherwise a normal medium laser. Before the Sunglow ML entered widespread production, Stephen Amaris kicked off his coup. Loyalists in Sunglow's Hegemony factories trashed the tooling and plans before Amaris troops could seize them. The last known copies of the plans (at a research center on a world the Hegemony and Lyran Commonwealth shared) were (say it with me) taken by Kerensky when he led the SLDF into the Periphery. Several loyalists units were known to be fitted them, but these are thought to have been destroyed during Amaris's coup.

ChalengerII
08/16/02 05:22 PM

Isn't that just an ER Medium Laser
CrayModerator
08/16/02 05:28 PM

Yes. How many ER MLs were available in the Star League period?

SoyBigHead
08/17/02 01:01 AM

id say none b/c the standard ML more than likely had the same range as the 3050-ish ER ML does...well some where in the ballpart is more accurate..but what do i know i lack all sourcebooks
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
CrayModerator
08/17/02 09:07 AM

>id say none b/c the standard ML more than likely had the same range as the 3050-ish ER ML does

Yes, then no. Star League weapons are clearly listed in TR:2750 with very typical ranges. MLs had a 9-hex range, LLs had a 15-hex range, etc. But the Star League also had ER Large Lasers, ER PPCs, and many other wonderous devices the Inner Sphere didn't see until the 3040s and 3050s. One of the devices the Star League did not have was the ER ML - that was developed by the Clans in the 2800s, then the Inner Sphere in the late 3050s.

Karagin wanted equipment with individual, brand name quirks. The Star League-era forerunner of the ER ML seemed like a good idea.

Bob_Richter
08/17/02 06:09 PM

...pouring over the fluff to see if we can come up with differences between weapons, or coming up with our own?

I've thought about this concept quite a bit, actually.

Take the unpopular Fulmer Optics Corportation (FOC) 5cm Laser. It has the same weight as more standard medium lasers, but is so bulky that it occupies 2 crits. It deals 4 damage for an incredible 7 heat but boosts the range by
(~)66%. What makes it MOST unpopular, however, is the vast increase in its cost (say double.)
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
08/17/02 06:19 PM

Nice example.

Karagin
08/17/02 09:34 PM

Either way....if you want to go over the fluff to find the differences then do so, if you don't and feel you have better ideas share those.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5704

Contact Admins Sarna.net