Heavy Gauss Rifle...

Pages: 1
Acolyte
07/11/02 01:42 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It cuts of acording to range catagory IIRC. ie. 25 at short, 10 by the time it gets to long.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Cheapbuzz
07/11/02 05:09 AM

1-6 is 25
7-13 is 20
14-20 is 10
Straight from HMP.
BroCaptMaximus
08/23/02 01:34 PM

What I want to know is why it is 25 at short, 20 at medium, and then it up and drops to 10 at long range. IMHO it should drop to 15 at long range then it would be more effective and in my world it would make more sense logically.
CrayModerator
08/23/02 02:03 PM

Logically, the damage shouldn't drop at all. It only flies 600 meters - that's not enough distance or time to slow significantly.

Worse, the damage drops in space, too.

[sigh]

I guess for fear of causing excessive damage to the enemy, a second set of retro-rockets activates when the slug enters long range and slows it faster.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Moraelin
08/23/02 02:14 PM

Maybe it fires a hollow sphere or a parachute shaped slug
---
Moraelin - The proud member of the Idiots' Guild
BA_Evans
08/26/02 02:04 PM

Logic has nothing to do with it. THIS IS BATTLETECH!!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

BA Evans
dwug
09/08/02 09:57 AM

Too true, but we love it anyway.
"Good Ash, Bad Ash, you're the one with the gun."
Countergod
09/08/02 01:46 PM

Logic has nothing to do with it. THIS IS BATTLETECH!!

Here here!

as for the hgr, I really want to know why the damage drops off in the first place (besides making it "balanced" Yes, the slug is the size of a chevy (inside joke), but still, if you make it right, It will be aerodynamic enough to go the entire range before slowing down (unless the slug IS a literal block of steel....) Also, a gause rifle should have no minimum range, because it is fired by accelerating the "slug" in a magnetic field. when it leaves the barrel, the slug is no longer affected by the magnetic field,and thus SHOULD (but actually is, according to the game) not be accelerating anymore.... (but like was said, this is Battletech, it has no basis in the real world )
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
CrayModerator
09/08/02 04:44 PM

The HGR's minimum range may be attributable to an inability to quickly aim the beast at close targets. Stuck in the torso and nearly as heavy as a Locust, it might not be able to move its barrel as much as lighter weapons.

As for the damage drop, it can't be aerodynamic in nature - the damage drop also occurs in space.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Moraelin
09/13/02 04:58 PM

Actually, if it is a solid block of steel, it will actually lose less speed in the air. At comparable muzzle velocity, you can shoot an artillery piece farther than you can shoot a handgun. It has to do with the fact that -- at similar shape and density -- aerodynamic resistance increases with the square of the size, while the mass (and thus stored kinetic energy) increases with the cube of it.
---
Moraelin - The proud member of the Idiots' Guild
Bob_Richter
09/13/02 05:15 PM

>>>as for the hgr, I really want to know why the damage drops off in the first place <<<

I believe our study concluded that it has a drogue chute or retro-rockets to avoid acutally hitting/damaging the enemy.

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightmare
09/14/02 05:36 AM

Nah, the projectile probably disintegrates when it is put under too much stress. Such as firing it
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
CrayModerator
09/14/02 08:12 AM

>Nah, the projectile probably disintegrates when it is put under too much stress. Such as firing it

So simple, so elegant - the projectile breaks up and disperses increasingly with range.

Acolyte
09/14/02 05:56 PM

Either that or it's a Wiffle-Slug!

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1311

Contact Admins Sarna.net